(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

^ Think that's a fair shout.

2. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

This is ridiculous. Man Utd aren't even PLAYING. I'm no Man Utd fan but they are letting the Barca primadonnas have all the possession and space they want. Don't they remember how Liverpool won in Istanbul? Contest EVERY ball. TACKLE. Get the opposition off their game plan. Barcelona are NOTHING if you get in their face -- Chelsea proved that. It makes you wonder if the Scum players are just nervous, intimidated, frustrated or what?

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

What exactly did Chelsea prove aside from that it's possible make all viewers fall asleep by playing a cowardly destrctive tactic without a shot on the goal for 180 minutes against Barcelona?

And "primadonna"? Who's the one wearing pretty red high heels on the field?

eta: haha, Messi with a header! :D

4. sttngfan1701d

They're primadonnas because they fall when someone breathes on them and expect free kicks like they get in Spain.

But they've won this game. Fair play to them.

5. Roger Wilco

And Ronaldo doesn't? Oh please. I haven't seen an English team play "British" football in quite a while.

6. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Despite all his talent, Ronaldo is definitely a whiny little bitch. ;)

7. sttngfan1701d

I never said Ronaldo doesn't. He does. As does Drogba. But look at Puyol just a second ago....looked at the ref first, then proceeded to wail, hold his head, and roll around. Puyol, for crying out loud, a supposed hard-nosed defender.

8. Roger Wilco

Yeah, I hate that too, I wish the referees had the balls to be more consistent in showing yellow cards for dives.

9. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Most have players have been doing crap like that for as long as I can remember. It's nothing new and I actually find it quite entertaining. Not the dives themselves, but the bad acting after a supposed foul.

10. Roger Wilco

Hm, I don't know, it's certainly been happening since I started watching football, but the football I usually watch is crap; I don't remember all that stuff on the highest level until more recently. But I agree, when you don't have a horse in the race it's funny to watch. ;)

11. sttngfan1701d

This game is over. There will be no comeback like 1999 or 2005.

Oh please. Get up, Messi.

12. sttngfan1701d

This is the worst I've seen Manchester play this year. Very sloppy.

The commentators are using the word "brilliant" for Barcelona but hyperbole is endemic when people talk about them. I'd describe them as "efficient" on the night more than anything else. They had a gameplan and nothing happened to divert them from it. Tactically very well done to unseat a team as good on the counter-attack as Man Utd.

13. Roger Wilco

One thing I like about Barcelona winning is, that again no club managed to defend that title. I don't really like the Champions League (btw. shouldn't there be an apostrophe somewhere?) - that shows how competitive modern football is.

14. sttngfan1701d

The ONLY thing that's good about this in my opinion is that Thierry Henry finally gets a CL winner's medal.

But good point about competitiveness though. Bad thing is, now we have to deal with the dual preening of Platini and Guardiola.

15. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Convincing victory. Very good. Man U weren't at the races.

16. Roger Wilco

I don't mind Guardiola, but yes Platini probably is quite happy right now. ;)

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Congratulations to Barca and most importantly, for us Arsenal fans, congratulations Thierry! :D

18. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I heard ManU were in the Champions League final. Can anyone verify that for me?

Best move Thierry Henry ever made was leaving that mid table team he was playing for in London, good for him.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I don't care how much attacking talent you have on the pitch, if you're gonna give the tiniest man in the game a free header in the box you don't deserve to win anything.

20. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

One of my buddies who I was watching the game with said "when a midget scores a header against you, you know you're fucked." :lol: