I am an amateur at 3D model building...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by martok2112, Oct 9, 2013.

1. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Hi, folks. Friendly neighborhood Martok2112 here.

I always joke that when I am not busy being a rock star at The Famous Door on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, LA, I am a bona-fide geek! :)

On my off time, I like to dabble in 3D modeling and animation. I have built tons of models, but to say that they are models means that I built the components in Blender, and converted them for use in a program called iClone 5.5. PRO.

The one model I'd like to show off is my take on the K't'inga class Klingon battlecruiser from ST:TMP. She's far from perfect, and yes, I took a few minor liberties here and there...but, even for my amateurish efforts, I'm pretty proud of how she turned out.

I hope you will enjoy these images. I have videos up on my YouTube channel (Martok2112) of this ship, but they are earlier builds. I plan on doing some more shoots with this current build.

Anyhoo, without further ado...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's ready for an honorable nozh scrap!
    [​IMG]

Tryin' to sneak up on 'er, eh?
    [​IMG]

A little mood lighting. [​IMG]

2. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

for an amateur its amazing

3. martok2112

That is most kind, surak-toc. Thank you so much. :)
    Here's my latest build of the refit Enterprise: No bloody A, B, C, D, or E. :) I still need to do some tweaking on this one, but I think even this iteration turned out good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, compared to many other model builders out there, both digital and practical, this is very amateurish work, but it serves my animations well. I hope you'll like.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice K't'inga there :3

Your Enterprise reminds me of the ones Starfleet command Games :)

5. martok2112

Thank you very much, Kaiser. :)

Ya know, I never did get to play the StarFleet Command games, and I wanted to soooooo badly. (I actually have a copy of StarFleet Academy for the PC lying around somewhere.) And I used to love playing Bridge Commander.

6. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

i would be interested to see if you could do a ship of your own creation, from scratch, an amalgamation of Vulcan and federation design, what you have shown here proves you could pull this task off.

7. Kaiser

Thier cheap on ebay :)

8. martok2112

Thank you for the confident words. :)

Actually, I did do one kitbash that I nicknamed the U.S.S. Ridiculous. (The name on its hull actually comes from my Miranda class build of a ship called U.S.S. Revanche.) :)

The ship is an overarmed (I mean seriously overarmed) dreadnaught.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an old work. It is a kitbash of my Miranda and Constitution classes, when I used different textures. Generally, when I can remember, I always try to store the individual components of every ship I build as separate props so I can make different types of ships.

I also have made a collection of TOS era ships, many of them based on the old Franz Joseph Star Trek Technical Manual. I plan to retexture them soon. :) I have the classic Connie, the Federation tug, the Saladin class destroyer/scout, a TOS shuttlecraft (I even made a hangar deck for it), and the dreadnaught. I also plan on retexturing my Klingon Bird of Prey.

I've built models for Star Trek, Star Wars, and Battlestar Galactica. I also have a ship of my own design, that needs serious retexturing. :)

9. martok2112

Kewl. Thanks for the heads up. :)

The only game I have that is slightly related to how SFC plays is "Star Trek Tactical Assault" for the old Sony PlayStation Portable. The ships are not very highly detailed, but they're a lot more elegant than that ships that were seen in the Super Nintendo version of StarFleet Academy. (StarFleet Academy was a game I loved dearly. A friend and I used to spend hours blasting each other out of the stars on that game.)

10. Kaiser

Nice Kitbash :)

I have that Game for DS :)

11. martok2112

Thanks. :)

Yeah, Tactical Assault was a pretty decent game for handhelds. If there was any one thing I'd liked about the DS version was the dual screen interface. At that, it seemed to feel like you were actually commanding a starship...albeit from something somewhat smaller than a tricorder. :D

12. martok2112

Here is a quickie vid of my latest, greatest K't'inga build...just a quick camera pass like in Star Trek The Motion Picture. More will be on the way soon.
    http://youtu.be/hxtg4a36_4c

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The K'tinga is just flat awesome. The Enterprise seems to have some scale issues and the nacelle struts seem to be in the wrong place.

14. martok2112

Thank you, Bill. :)
    Yeah, I am far from finished with the Connie. In fact, even though I've got good textures, I think I am just gonna try to do a complete rebuild from scratch.

The K't'inga was easy. I already had her mostly set from the first build, I just needed add some greebles, make a few shape alterations (largely in the crown section on the command boom), and retexture the thing.

But yes, I will be looking to improve the Constitution class.

Thank you for the kind words and keen eye. :)

15. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Klingon looks good. Enterprise needs work on the entire aft end. Nacelles are too big, pylons too far forward and you need to totally re-sculpt the fantail/shuttle bay area.

16. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

That K'tinga is pretty awesome. Nice work.

17. martok2112

Thanks, Ziz, and Ro. :)

Yep, I am definitely planning on doing a full rebuild of the Constitution class refit, which in turn will also mean a rebuild of my Miranda class. :) And in this case, I am taking every precaution I can to make sure that the scaling is as close to correct as possible. :) (Having schematics and blueprints on hand definitely comes in useful, so I'm using them to the fullest extent possible in both Blender and in iClone.) :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I like the unique take on the fed ships. Your refit looks like a smaller, training vessel--interesting.

19. martok2112

Thanks. I do need to kinda work on the epicness of the Connie. Hopefully my next build will be much more accurate. :)

20. martok2112

Well, I rebuilt and retextured my refit Enterprise model. She ain't perfect, but like the K't'inga, she's a hell of a lot closer to looking like the real thing than my first effort for the big E.

All elements in this video were made by me, and animated in iClone.
    http://youtu.be/a6QFZBdN3qU