Space-Drill Fight Scene

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by BolianAuthor, Mar 6, 2009.

1. tauntme

tauntme Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Jesus christ, just watch the movie when it comes out.

If you can believe that a "universal" translator can be fit inside every humanoid's ears and be able to, in real time, translate what everyone's saying, then you can believe that a hypospray or a chewing gum can make them breath in high altitude.

2. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Joe...did you even get what I was saying? I'm saying that instead of judging it in terms of Trek (ie: what's happened in previous incarnations), we should be judging it in terms of whether or not this is a good movie, regardless of it being Trek or not.

Does what we see so far give us joy or pause based on the merits of what we enjoy in ANY movie, not just a Trek movie.

3. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

That would be perfectly fine if this movie wasn't titled Star Trek, and purport to tell the story of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, et. al. aboard the starship Enterprise. Those similarities not only invite comparison, they demand it.

---------------

4. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But with it comes tons of years of precedents for stupid crap as well as the good. I'd rather judge it on ITS OWN merits.

5. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Please. There have been countless personal combats in TOS and other Trek productions, a sword is but a tool like any other, indeed Sulu's proficiency with a sword is lifted directly from TOS. The difference this time around is that the producers have the budget and imagination to offer us something on a level we haven't seen before.

6. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Then don't watch the movie, problem solved.

7. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

i guess i find people complaining about sulu fighting with a sword to be amusing considering naked time.
    :lol:

8. dillon3001

dillon3001 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

YES indeed. Tri-Ox seems likely here in my opinion, and it's only an opinion until the movie comes out.

9. Lashmore

Lashmore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What...just because he's happy doesn't mean he can't breath, she can't be that good.

OH!

I thought you were talking about the OTHER Drilling scene >.>

10. Plumster

Plumster Commander

The two falling away from the platform in the trailer are Kirk and Sulu.

11. Plumster

Plumster Commander

Hostile?

In the same way that anyone who criticised anything Trek related gets flamed and called?

Have a big word with yourself. :rolleyes:

12. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Go away. :)

13. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

What you say is true, which begs the question of why make a movie about a show full of "stupid crap" to begin with?

The bothersome part isn't that Sulu can use a sword, it's that he chooses to use one at a seemingly inopportune time. And isn't it lucky that he thought to take it with him on this mission?

That may be the case, depending on the feedback I get after the movie opens. Thank you for your sage advice.

And I find the idea that Sulu carries a sword around with him on all his missions to be somewhat ridiculous. To each his own.

Contrary to how it may seem, I haven't given up on this movie. It may actually make a fairly entertaining alternate universe Star Trek story, but I would personally rather have visited the 'real' Star Trek universe once again.

---------------

14. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Perhaps he habitually carries it around, in addition to the standard issue phaser, on away missions that call for a weapon.

Sulu discusses his fencing prowess with Kirk earlier in the film, so it doesn't come out of nowhere.

15. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do we know that Sulu brought that sword with him? The guy he is fighting also has a sword; perhaps Sulu's sword actually belongs to one of the guys on the platform.

Furthermore, the fact the nobody seems to have a phaser (neither good guys nor the "bad" guys) makes me wonder if perhaps phasers would not function properly on the platform.

16. Plumster

Plumster Commander

No ;)

17. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

that is what i suspected.
    that sulu got the sword from another romulan.
    i like your thought why a sword.
    as in dune perhaps there is an explanation why in that circumstance they are using swords.

18. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Seems reasonable enough of itself, but TrekMovie suggests otherwise.

19. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. Well, if trekmovie.com is right, then I hope the fact Sulu has the sword will be made believable by the context of the film.

20. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

^
    I have it on good authority that much of the film's second act is devoted to exploring Sulu's psychological insecurities regarding the size of his penis and hence his habitual carrying around of an extensible phallic weapon.