Grey Dress Uniforms

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by AlxxlA, May 19, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That may be just because of the lighting.

2. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

The new dress uniforms are certainly better than the original, that were made decorative by sticking cut out pieces of paper to it.

3. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Personally I love these new formal uniforms, especially in combination with the on-ship uniforms. They have the same formality as the old movie maroons but in a simpler and more somber style, which seems very Starfleet and appropriate for the more restrained fleet of the AU. It feels a lot like an actual Class A uniform but stripped of a lot of the militaristic flash. Meanwhile they still have the more comfortable and practical-looking uniforms for on the ship instead of having everyone prancing about in full multi-layered dress all the time.

The field jackets are pretty sweet too. I like that they replace the bright colors that are great on ship but a bit too "shoot me now" with a darker grey, while still leaving those little windows for the colors to show through. Again, it's something that seems very practical, especially compared to the big bulky jackets from TWoK that were put over the already-thick uniform. Also, I whole heartedly approve of the wet suits. Kirk and McCoy should spend the entire next movie in them.

4. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

I wonder who the ones wearing the brown uniforms were?

5. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Ground troops? Starfleet Marines, or whatever you prefer to call them?

The rank system is the same as in TOS.

On the normal duty uniforms, the insignia is straight out of TOS (albeit with a 'thin' bar replacing the broken bar from the original). The dress versions, I didn't get a good look at, but I'm guessing that a similar system is in place.

Oh wait, you mean the other new uniforms, the ones with the little colored triangle on them denoting the wearer's division? I didn't even look at the rank pins on those. :alienblush:

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I really liked them. I liked Pike's nod to TMP the best.

For the record, I never liked Mounties in space. I could never grasp why they're so popular.*

*For the record, I think actual Mounties in space would be some kind of epic, but I digress...

7. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

They were kind of too sky captian-ish fro me. I thought about Startfleet International Airport rather than Starfleet Headquarters.

8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm not sure I agree, he asked the guy several times if he was private security but the guy didn't answer. Scotty not being aware of Section 31, I guess his assumption that it had to be a private security. Would Marcus really trust the Venegance to a group of private security? Plus they all wore the same uniform as Marcus. Would Marcus wear the uniform of a private security group?

9. Mr. Laser Beam

It's probably some kind of casual Starfleet uniform. I tend to agree, there's no way Marcus would wear anything but a Starfleet uni.

10. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Count me in for that sentiment as well. I like to think of the standard uniforms as being the ones worn aboard ship.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

"Let's get that warp drive online, eh? Thank you kindly." :)

12. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

are we talking about the actual RCMP or just any police force with military like arms and organization?

in any event it is because it pulls your hero out of the military even if he is a federal policeman with some military capability.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I was speaking specifically of the RCMP. I've always had a lot of respect for them. When I was young, I went fishing every year up north of Winnipeg with my dad and uncle, and we always ran into them. They were all awesome guys.

Plus Due South is one of my favorite shows. I was just riffing on the idea that Benton Fraser galloping the cosmos could be a lot of fun. I think MLB picked up on that.

I suppose that's why I never cared for the WOK uniforms much. I think I've always seen them as a cheap imitation.

14. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

Might have been part of some attempts to make the movie look "retro" and different from the rest. The same can be seen in the pipes, steel stairs, etc., in the star ship.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Got to say, as a Canadian I never once saw a similarity between RCMP uniforms and the TWOK ones.

16. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Until now, anyway. :-)

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Expecting to see Mr. Gross photoshopped into Fleet uniform any second now. ;)

18. Maxillius

Maxillius Commander Red Shirt

I hated the hats, in 09 and STID, but the dress grays are brilliant.

I have to say, though, that I prefer the 80s maroon uniforms. It could have something to do with the fact that the jackets look exactly like the band uniform jackets I had at my high school (and I thought those looked brilliant, too)

19. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Even Meyer realized his mistake with the TWOK uniforms by the time he started Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country. He wanted to change them but Paramount refused to give him funding.

Star Trek Project Ptomekin takes off the tunics and leaves the shirts. The shirts have the DS9 Season 1 collars and the TWOK cuffs. :techman:

20. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    To what mistake are you refering ?