Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 21 2014, 12:55 AM   #91
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: Favorite Series?

1. DS9
2. TNG
3. TOS
4. ENT
5. VOY
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2014, 02:30 AM   #92
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

TNG really has no comparison. When I say that, I don't only mean within the Star Trek Universe. It trully is the greatest form of TV entertainment in existence. In all honesty, saying it has no comparison is an understatement.

2) ENT - What a fantastic series this one is. So underrated, I've never been hooked to more consecutive Star Trek episodes than season 3 of Enterprise.

3) DS9 - A great series that showed the dark side of many a thing. I thought I couldn't love this one, but I do. Great show...
Lt. LaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2014, 02:43 AM   #93
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
dub wrote: View Post
first couple seasons of ENT (haven't watched the rest)
Definitely watch seasons 3 & 4 (minus the series finale)! And let us know what you think when you do in the ENT forum!
Thanks for the invite, but there's a reason I've chosen not to watch 3 & 4: too much violence for my PTSD to handle.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
ENT ... My favorite character is, easily, Dr. Phlox.
I hear so many complaints about him, I was beginning to think was the only one who loves him!
I'd go as far as to say that he is my favourite doctor.
Old August 21 2014, 08:58 AM   #94
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

J. Allen wrote: View Post
ENT ... My favorite character is, easily, Dr. Phlox.
I hear so many complaints about him, I was beginning to think I was the only one who loves him!
No wai! Phlox was way too awesome to be ignored.

Seriously, he was the character with the most depth, in my opinion. He was obviously flawed, but a warm, compassionate man who did his best every chance he got. Some people say he was just Neelix but toned down a bit. I'm not certain if I agree, but either way, he is still the coolest character on ENT.

Great minds think alike!
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2014, 07:13 PM   #95
RPOW0614
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just read thru this thread and my my there are some strong opinions.
My List:
TOS - The first and best Trek
ENT - Like most have said seasons 1 & 2 were weak but it rocked in seasons 3 & 4
DS9 - Wasn't a fan. But watched entire series and the last seasons are great (except for Vic)
TNG - Started weak but much much better by the end.
VOY - Some really good eps but in general the weakest of all Treks
TOS - Silly, bad animation, just awful
Old August 21 2014, 08:37 PM   #96
Kobayshi Maru
Commander

DS9, to me it has the advantage of being really unique among all the series. For one thing it is the only one that's not constantly aboard a ship. There's the wormhole aliens, that though extremely powerful, seem incapable of understanding certain things. That's a refreshing change with all the smart smug superior paternalistic aliens that we meet in the other series, e.g. Trelaine, the "brain in jar" aliens with the thralls, Q, the alien that traps Picard's ship in a hole in space...etc... The wormhole aliens from DS9 are nothing like these.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2014, 08:49 AM   #97
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

So, did my TNG rightfully win this battle of galactic proportions?
Old September 7 2014, 09:18 AM   #98
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Lt. LaForge wrote: View Post
It wasn't a contest. It was people being asked what their favorite Star Trek series was.

Mine is Star Trek.

I could care less about it's spin-off's these days and am happy they jettisoned the whole bloated mess.
Old September 7 2014, 05:44 PM   #99
EnriqueH
Commander

I don't feel qualified to respond because I've only seen the first 3 or 4 seasons of DS9, the first season of Voyager (and random episodes after that), and the first season of Enterprise.

I've only seen TOS, TAS and TNG completely.

Here's what I think:

TOS
TNG
DS9 (though I very much LOVE what I did see and prefer aspects of it to TNG. Some of DS9's characters are the more interesting of the franchise.)

VOY/ENT: These are kinda tied. The first season of Voyager had a little more novelty to it, but I also think Scott Bakula carries a lot of Enterprise on his shoulders and the female Vulcan (brain cramp, can't remember her name suddenly) has a heaping amount of sex appeal.
Old September 7 2014, 07:12 PM   #100
4Cardassia
Ensign

1) In the lead by a considerable distance is my beloved Deep Space Nine. For me, this show represents the pinnacle of Star Trek. It's a story about rising above racial, political, and religious differences to build a multicultural community at the gateway to a new frontier. This series takes the pre-established Star Trek setting and turns it into a sprawling, intricate universe full of quirks, twists, and political intrigue. DS9's greatest asset, though, is the vibrant array of endearing and fascinating characters around which the many recurring storylines revolve.
Unlike the other Trek series, which tended to grow staler with each passing season, Deep Space Nine started strong and just kept getting stronger! Its bold strategy of introducing new characters and concepts, experimenting with storytelling formats, and shaking up the status quo helped the show continually build in dynamism and complexity. The end result was a grand, vivid, beautifully improvised tapestry– one most impressive to behold. I am happy and proud to be counted among those who give this hidden masterpiece the adoration and respect it deserves.

2) The Next Generation: The Star Trek series that I grew up with. Not only is this show to thank for successfully setting the stage for the thrilling events to come on DS9, but it’s is also a joy to watch in its own right. Though I am a devout “Niner”, I have to concede that TNG season 3 is probably the most entertaining and thought-provoking season in the franchise. Sadly, not long thereafter, the series would deteriorate into a bland, unambitious shadow of its former self. Since the ensemble is not nearly as capable as that of Deep Space, it is forced to rely heavily on a few select star performers. Regardless, the talent they do possess (Stewart, Spiner, de Lancie, Goldberg) is utilized well and the behind-the-scenes camaraderie of the cast is palpable and endearing. Despite the flaws, I will always have a special place in my heart for the crew of the Enterprise-D.

3) Star Trek: A true classic, though in reality I find only about half of the episodes worth coming back to. I greatly admire its boldness, vivacity, sense of humor, and adventurous spirit – all distinguishing qualities that Deep Space Nine would later learn from and imitate. I have a deep respect for the original Star Trek even though I feel that two of its progeny eventually surpassed it.

4) Enterprise: I respect Enterprise for daring to try new things. Unlike DS9, however, this show was not endowed with beautifully written and performed characters to make the ambitious storylines worth watching.

5) Voyager: Occasional standout episodes amidst a vast sea of mediocrity. Not even its charming sense of humor can redeem it. Character stagnation and an underutilized premise and setting reduce this show to last place. So much potential, though.
4Cardassia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2014, 07:24 PM   #101
extremedalek
Ensign

View extremedalek's Twitter Profile

Although I "know" that DS9 is superior to TNG in many way, I just can't make room for it over the Ent-D crew as my favourite show. I guess TNG came along at just the right time for me growing up, and the characters and actors in that show meant so much to me and gave me somewhere to escape to when things were bad. TNG will always be special to me.
extremedalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2014, 09:27 PM   #102
Hypaspist
Lieutenant Commander

1: TNG Wins overall for having the best characters, the most variety of stories, and having some of the individual best episodes in the whole franchise. Really if not for Picard, Worf, and a few key episodes, I'd put TOS ahead.
Downsides are the first two seasons and too many new aliens that aren't really unique. As far as aliens go, they don't have enough Vulcans. Also, this is where the Klingons kind of became annoying with their mystical viking samurai thing...a little simplistic at times.

2: TOS Characters are almost as good as TNG, but we simply don't get to know all of them as well. Some of the stories were really cutting edge in the 60's, and even the ones where TNG completely copied the story are usually not as good.
Downsides: if only it had gone a little longer and re-explored some of the things that earlier episodes established. A little more in recurring species would have been better than some of the similar plots.

3: DS9 What to say that hasn't already been said? I like that they had the balls to do half the things they did, and even in the more one-off episodes, they have some real winners. Characters are a mixed bag. Sisko, Bashir, Odo, Garak and even Quark add a lot to the show. The rest of the characters are a bit more of a mixed bag.
Downsides: some of the individual episodes are really bad. Even if they aren't completely terrible, they can be boring. There are also a lot of implausible things big and small - Ducat's final story arc, ships flying right next to each other (space is a big place and the ships move really fast even at impulse, after all), phasers causing minor wounds, and so on.

4: VOY To be fair, I haven't seen that many, but it has lots of good things going for it. Some of the places they go actually are really good looking, and the episodes so far are a lot of fun. Characters aren't terrible, but a few are uninteresting. I like Janeway, Neelix (yes, seriously), the Doctor, even Paris and Chakotay in their own way. Chakotay's Indian stereotypes are annoying, but he does come across as a competent 1st officer.
Downsides: Well first off there are just things that make no sense. They were writing TNG plots when they should have been doing their own thing. I think it's obvious that, by this point, the science is thrown out the window.

5: TAS I haven't watched it yet, so it gets next to last. We'll just have to wait and see.

100th place: ENT
Pros: the sets look good.
Cons: the characters are all awful and one dimensional. The aliens are all completely ridiculous. The plot forces the characters to do things that make no sense. They made a prequel just so they could rehash pre-established species as new, but they do it in a terrible way every time. The things that it does introduce are almost all stupid. I think Klingon ridges as the plot for an entire episode pretty much sums up the series.
Hypaspist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2014, 11:56 AM   #103
CaptainJohn
Lieutenant Junior Grade

TNG is my favorite series
CaptainJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2014, 10:58 AM   #104
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

The Lensman wrote: View Post
Lt. LaForge wrote: View Post
It wasn't a contest. It was people being asked what their favorite Star Trek series was.
I wasn't being serious.