The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Holy shit that's a good likeness of Scarlett.

I wish I could afford the Hot Toys. Toy Wiz is selling Hawkeye for $350 now. Forget it.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the HT Avengers are going nowhere but up, sadly. It makes me kinda sad that I had to skip Fury. Oh well, I can still have a complete looking display without him.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Black Widow looks absolutely stunning...and as KM stated, I wish I could afford Hot Toys as well. They're simply awesome.

4. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Was lucky enough recently to find a set of Mulder and Scully action figures (FTF) at a resale shop :). Bought them and haven't regretted it. So many good memories of that show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Thanks for all the mind-bendingly cool pics you guys have posted over the last few hours. Those Black Widow shots are incredible! Nice X-Files figures as well. It's been ages and ages since I've seen carded action figures from the series.

6. Random_Spock

Thanks :). Same. Never got a chance to find those back when it came out in theatres, so it was a really nice surprise to come across them.

7. cooleddie74

Local flea markets in my area often have old, still-packaged toys that can catch your attention. It's not every day you can go someplace and lay eyes on an original Chucky doll from 1988 that's still in his unopened window box.

8. Random_Spock

Cool. Saw some at some local flea markets before, as in other action figures, but they tended to be over priced. The ones at the place where I got M & S, were pretty fairly priced, as in sane :lol:.

9. cooleddie74

I once saw a flea market vendor who was selling a carded Hasbro action figure of Darth Revan from the Star Wars EU continuity. Great condition. No cracks or openings in the blister. The cardback looked to be in terrific shape.

$80 was his asking price.

I was polite, complimented the guy on his table and display, said "thank you" and walked away.

Eighty bucks for an action figure that at the time was barely four or five years old? Eddie don't play that.

10. Random_Spock

Wow. That's insane. Even if the figure is in mint shape, it takes time for it to be really valuable.

Heck the ones I have aren't mint, have a little opening on the bottom, but other than that they're good. Considering it's been a little over 10 years, that's pretty nice. Wouldn't have paid more than I did though.

11. cooleddie74

Yeah, tell me about it. I've been collecting Star Wars figures long enough to become familiar with a lot of secondary market prices and values, and the Darth Revan (which was released as part of the 30th Anniversary Collection line of collector-focused action figures from 2007-08), while he can go for pretty pricey numbers, isn't worth shelling out $80 for even if you can afford it and don't mind plunking down that kind of green on one 3.75" character.

I wouldn't be surprised if that guy never sold his Darth Revan or had to slash his asking price by quite a bit in order to attract a buyer.

12. OdoWanKenobi

That's ridiculous for Revan. Though, I guess I shouldn't talk since I found mine on the pegs.

Not quite as cool as Black Widow, but I did pick up the latest Funko ponies today, and felt rather compelled to do this:
    [​IMG]

13. cooleddie74

You just won fifty Internets, you magnificent, plastic-obsessed son of a bitch.

I'm tripping from the Awesome.

14. Admiral_Young

"Man of Steel" Movie Masters have apparently hit Ebay already...I think this is the first time I've seen them in their official packaging. I'll be picking up Superman and Jor-El...Zod is okay but I am probably going to get the Neca statue.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZlHwuco5A...Steel+Superman+Movie+Masters_PackageFront.png

Oh and the seller is apparently in China...so not sure if this is a legit seller or not, and that's not the bidding link at all. I just found that on someone's blog.

15. OdoWanKenobi

Samples of all of Mattel's line usually hit Chinese sellers a couple months before they hit shelves, so these are probably legit. The figures look uniformly good, but this is really one where I need to know that the movie is good before I pick them up. With a non-Batman DC movie, you never know.

16. Admiral_Young

I've been pumped for "Man of Steel" since it's initial announcement...and was very curious about what Matty would do with the MOS movie masters, but I've been impressed with the designs and sculpt so far. I'm guessing we're going to get Faora or Lois figures at all...even though these three are considered wave one...but I guess I can hope :)

17. cooleddie74

I don't really collect any superhero merchandise - at least not since I was much younger - but I'm going to take a look at some of the Man of Steel product that hits retail when the movie arrives and see if anything is worth taking a serious look at or even picking up.

I wish Mattel or another line would go back and do a commemorative/retrospective line of Superman action figures that includes George Reeves from the classic, hit '50s TV series and the Christopher Reeve films. George Reeves might present complications because of his image following his tragic death (I'm not sure it's that easy to get the rights to his likeness but I could be mistaken), but I don't see why the Chris Reeve continuity and movies couldn't be honored with a line of figures. Think of it.

Supes
    Clark Kent
    Lois Lane
    Jimmy Olsen
    Perry White
    Lana Lang
    Lex Luthor
    Otis
    Miss Tessmacher
    Jor-El
    Lara
    Zod
    Ursa
    Non
    Jonathan Kent
    Martha Kent
    Gus Gorman

18. OdoWanKenobi

Supes -Ok
    Clark Kent- Guy in a suit. No
    Lois Lane-Woman. No
    Jimmy Olsen- Guy in a suit. No
    Perry White- Guy in a suit. No
    Lana Lang- Woman. No
    Lex Luthor- Guy in a suit. No
    Otis-Guy in a suit. No
    Miss Tessmacher- Woman. No
    Jor-El- Maybe
    Lara- Woman. No
    Zod- Maybe
    Ursa- Woman. No
    Non- Maybe
    Jonathan Kent- Guy in a suit. No
    Martha Kent- Woman. No
    Gus Gorman- Guy in a suit. No

There's pretty much Mattel's thinking on any such line. I'm seriously not kidding about the women thing. Mattel has actually gone on record saying that no female characters beyond pretty much Wonder Woman, Batgirl, and Supergirl are at all viable at retail. Batgirl and Supergirl only because of their association with their male counterparts.

19. cooleddie74

You're most likely right. One of the many reasons I don't trust Mattel with a line that I want to see and collect.

Even Hasbro has its moments with female characters in the Star Wars universe, and if it weren't for fan and collector zeal and borderline threats they wouldn't produce some of the female figures they do.

Is Mon Mothma of the Rebel Alliance a runaway hit with mass appeal? Hell naw. She pegwarms like she's gunning for a prize. But the fans want every character with a pulse and central nervous system turned into plastic, and Hasbro learned long ago that if they don't make it we'll bitch and rampage until they do.

20. Admiral_Young

OdoWan is correct about their stance on woman female figures which is utterly frustrating since there is a large segment of fans (like myself) that would love to have those figures.

I would love a Mon Monthma figure!

Also cooleddie you and I need to start pitching these things to the companies :) I love that above idea. Again I'd do something similar and call it "Superman All Stars" or something and it'd include figures from all eras of the live action version of the character.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013