Who Is YOUR Favorite Star Trek Captain?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by CmndrSela318, Jun 6, 2010.

?

Who Is YOUR Favorite Star Trek Captain?

1. Kirk-original Star Trek

29.6%
  2. Picard-The Next Generation

25.4%
  3. Sisko-DS9

33.8%
  4. Janeway-Voyager

9.9%
  5. Archer-Enterprise

1.4%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Kirk, Sisko, Archer, Picard and then Janeway

2. Rek

Rek Commander Red Shirt

Well, I switch between Picard and Sisko. I really like them both. Although Picard > Sisko as a captain in command. I think Picard earned more of peoples respect, well Sisko demanded it.

Anyway, this time around I voted for "The Sisko".

3. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I'm a Picard guy. Cultured, reserved, even underplayed, but with big balls of steel. The guy is awesome without trying to be.

Sisko is good, but too much on his toes for my tastes. Considering his position it's understandable, but still.

Kirk is good ol' fun. A swashbuckling hero, with brain and brawn to spare.

Janeway had a good concept (science-y type turned commander, with an impossible mission to survive), but she was written too erratically for me. So no strong opinion one way or the other.

Archer gets on my nerve every time I see him. Sorry.

4. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

Qualified Captains:

1. Sisko (Best Captain)
    2. Kirk
    3. Picard
    4. Janeway
    5. Spock
    6. Scotty

Disqualified Captains:

1. Archer (Worst Captain)
    2. Number One
    3. Riker
    4. Pike
    5. Chakotay
    6. Data
    (as much as I love this silly android, he really doesn't make a good Captain, though)

5. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Picard definitely. I like his idealism.

6. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My vote goes to Picard. It's not easy to choose because, except for Archer, who seems a little too naive most of the time, all the other captains each have a set of qualities that make them remarkable. I see them as alternative answers to the question "What makes a good captain?". One is not necessarily better or worse than the other.
    But, if I had to trust any of them with my life and if I had a choice it would be Picard.

I also love the idea of Captain Spock, though. The moment I saw Spock in the captain's chair on the Enterprise bridge (in "Wrath of Kahn" if I'm not mistaken) was extremely rewarding. I think Spock is the real captain of the original Enterprise anyway, so he fully deserved to sit in that chair.

7. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the question was which is the BEST captain then I'd probably go for Picard because he contains some elements that I think make for a great captain. He's an intellectual that likes to think problems through rather than acting on gut instinct, he always looks for the peaceful solution to a problem but has a steely resolve when the situation requires it, and he is perfectly willing to delegate to his crew.

But since the question is which is my FAVOURITE captain I'd have to go for Sisko. He wasn't the best example of a captain, he had a temper that he lost control of many times, but I found him to be a more balanced human being. In the very first episode we saw him grappling with the grief of his wife's death, we saw him raise a son alone, and we saw him develop a relationship with someone new. We also got to see him grapple with the responsibilities of being a religious icon and a man with a destiny.

Kirk is enjoyable to watch and arguably the most fun captain, but I've got to agree with the great philosopher John Locke when he called Kirk a pisspoor captain.

Janeway had her moments, but she was wildly inconsistent between episodes and often did annoying things.

Archer was a naive fool for the first two seasons, but he grew a lot in season 3 due to having the weight of the world on his shoulders, and he was a much better character in season 4.

9. clever_username

clever_username Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

and with my vote, sisko takes the lead!

10. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

Sisko. He had to balance som many things and mixed good old diplomacy with military action. He also had command over the largest number of people of any captain.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jean "Luck" Picard. ;)

12. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, Picard for sure. It's about the perfomances as much as how the character is written.

13. ChadHydro

ChadHydro Lieutenant Red Shirt

Looks like I just broke the tie. Sisko all the way. This man had passion. Sure, love Picard, love Kirk, Archer's cool, tolerate Janeway, but Sisko is the best.

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

15. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Always a close call between John Luck Pickerd and The Sisko, but I gotta give the vote to DS9's badass captain by an inch every time. I liked Janeway when she was the sane, consistent captain she was probably supposed to be. At least she's more qualified than Archer. Kirk is alright. He's sort of middle of the road for me. Don't love him, don't hate him.

16. sevenstars

sevenstars Captain Captain

Kirk, because I could never vote against the incomparable, iconic Protocaptain. Janeway a very close second. Other than that, anyone who spits in the face of the Prime Directive is ok with me.

17. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic

Mine too!

As it is, I picked The Sisko.

18. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Janeway.

19. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

I agree. Patrick Stewart is my favorite Trek actor, making Picard easily my favorite captain. Great actor, great character.