What would you change about the TOS Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by GregroxMun, Jun 26, 2015.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'd change the dilithium crystals every 3000 light years.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Being unable to steal shuttles takes away all sorts of "fun".

Next you'll be suggesting tighter control over visitors to prevent hijacking!

;)

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I always got a laugh out of TNG's trope of attempting to prevent an unauthorized shuttle launch from the bridge. If Data couldn't succeed at it, time after time, you have to wonder why they bothered putting the option in at all....

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Security definitely wasn't a high priority for Jim Kirk. Heck, Lazarus told Kirk he was going to take their dilithium crystals and was able to do it twice. :lol:

5. LadyT'Anna

LadyT'Anna Commander Red Shirt

Nerys Myk, in The Adept, I mandate that credentials of official visitors be checked in the transporter room. I want to say there's a Trek episode that uses retinal scanning in the transporter room, but I might have dreamed that.

Makes sound sense, The Old Mixer. I'd post guards in the engineering spaces, too. Kevin Thomas Riley serenaded people for more than long enough. :)

6. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I think more swept nacelle struts similar to the Phase II and TMP versions would be the only thing I'd change. Those are a bit more graceful than the utilitarian nacelles of the original version.

7. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would add an airlock so Captain Kirk would have somewhere to kick the badguys out of. nuBSG style.

8. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched a mess of episodes recently and, yeah, Kirk was very happy to let any old visitor have free run of the ship. Only when they did something dastardly did he decide they should be restricted to quarters.

9. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

That is about how the German SF Series "Spaceship Orion" made its ship "land" the ship actually stayed hovering in one place and a telescopic tube with elevator was extended from the bottom of the ship to put people on the planets surface.
    Nice historical detail, Star Trek aired at 8 September 1966, Orion the 17th September of 1966.

http://www.orionspace.de/ww/de/pub/english.htm

10. Juju Zombie

Juju Zombie Lieutenant

Or at least have a stockpile (or more likely, multiple stockpiles) of them in case of an emergency. Which was a regular thing, so you'd think they'd enact that after the first time it happened at the very least.

It's not like they couldn't have scored any after saving the miners on any one of the many dilithium mining planets they seemed to have encountered, even if it wasn't standard Starfleet operating procedure for whatever silly reason.

11. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd move the turbolift on the outside so that it matched the set. That's it. Ok, I might make the position lights of a more realistic size.

12. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

But then the nub at the back of the bridge would be . . . OFF CENTER! :wtf:

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor? :lol:

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what the starship dealership wants you to think so you'll go into starbase more often. Really, you can do it every 6,000 light years.

15. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to think that the bridge was configurable at the Captain's prerogative. And that Captain Kirk changed the layout so people wouldn't enter the bridge behind his back.
    I've screened so many Mafia and gangster movies over the years that when I eat at an Italian restaurant, I always face the door. And I've been out of the movie business for nine years now.

16. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Well, Chris Pike already had it that way. Maybe he was the paranoid and Kirk just didn't care.

--Alex

(P.S. I'm the same way, In a restaurant, I gotta face the doors.)

17. LadyT'Anna

LadyT'Anna Commander Red Shirt

Hm. An awful lot of redshirts did die under Kirk's watch. Makes one wonder . . .

I agree re: the stockpiling of dilithium crystals--but let's put some of them on the bridge, please. The engineering spaces are too vulnerable to house *all* fuel stores, viz., to wit, "The Naked Time," "Elaan of Troyius," and "The Way to Eden."

18. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the Bridge was this reconfigurable then I would expect the turbolift doors to be even further round than they are: Kirk still has to twist 90 degrees left and turn his head to view any visitors. If security really is an issue then the door(s) ought to be directly to the Captain's side - the TUC design got this about right.

19. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

The captain's chair swivels. And it's not about security - it's about the best camera angle that includes the star in the shot.

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

It'd be cool if the lower area (captain's chair, helm/nav) was capable of rotating.