When did Star Trek on television hit its high water mark?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jedi_Master, May 22, 2015.

1. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

+1

2. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

+1 for one of the best? Hell, yes! But, IMHO, there were other high water marks in Star Trekdom!

:techman:

3. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Agree and I would also add all the Trek games that were being produced during this time: Starfleet Command, Armada, Elite Force, Birth of the Federation etc. I know my interest in Star Trek was never higher than during this period.

4. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season 3 of TNG for me. So many great episodes.

5. Starborn Dragon

Starborn Dragon Captain

Seeing Tash Yar in Playboy and any picture of Jeri Ryan naked.

That's when thingsw really perked up for me.

6. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

December 9, 1998 (Trek wouldn't get there again until May 16, 2013).

7. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I never played Starfleet Command, but I had Starfleet Academy and absolutely loved that; played it death. I also remember over the summer holidays in 1999 playing Birth of the Federation non stop (obviously I was a cool kid :D )
    That was really a time when it felt like you could totally immerse yourself in all the Star Trek going on around you.

8. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

This would be my vote as well.
    Honorable mention goes to Seasons 3-5 of TNG - I suppose Best of Both Worlds was the highpoint of that era.

9. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think 1990 - 1993, the TNG run of season 3 - 6, plus the onset of DS9.

10. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The High Water Mark for STAR TREK on television was, undoubtedly, the premier of The Next Generation. It was like the Proof of Concept that there could be STAR TREK without William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and that lot. The other spin-offs weren't going to engender those feelings, not even DS9. It wasn't until the reboot movies that STAR TREK could be shown as reinvisioning itself successfully, again. When the TOS cast was still alive, it would've probably seemed unfair, actually, to have young actors taking their place. The fan outcry might've been such that it really would've hurt the show's chances. And who knows what the Second Bananas of TOS would've had to say about that, when all they had to get paid from was conventions, at that point. ... It had to be TNG.

11. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

1973-1974.

12. newpball

newpball Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

^ this!

:)

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Same here.

Watching the show as a child in syndication. The Enterprise was the biggest starship ever on screen--on top of the world.

Your AMT model in your hand as you watch--parents still in good health, but in another room so as to make the little space in front of the tube all yours--no embarrassment.

The gentle sound of the air conditioning being on in summer...no school.

You watch a favorite episode right after getting home from the Huntsville Space and rocket museum, the Estes Model rocket being a new present.

Star Trek was special then--you liked that not many others liked it, yet wanted to share the stories.

The future seemed right around the corner.

And then, once you drift off to sleep--without knowing the laws of physics doesn't allow for 90% of what you just watched--you dreamed.