Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: How excited are you that I'm here?
W00t!! Let's get this party started! 202 70.14%
I'm ok with it, I'll live. 60 20.83%
Meh. 19 6.60%
BOO!! GO AWAY!!! 7 2.43%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 23 2015, 03:23 PM   #1171
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Okay, I'll play . . . although I honestly can't remember if I contributed to the original thread or not and am not going to click through 78 pages to find out!

Short version. I was born near the very tail end of the 1950s and genuinely cannot remember a time when I wasn't a fan of science fiction, monster movies, comic books, and, of course, STAR TREK. (I would've been around seven when TOS debuted on NBC.)

Grew up in Washington State, somewhere between Seattle and Tacoma. Discovered fandom and sf conventions in college back in the early eighties. Got a degree in Chemistry, but soon realized that I was better at science fiction than real science. (Truth be told, I was a pretty mediocre chemist.) Did the starving writer thing for awhile, selling the occasional short story to magazines like AMAZING STORIES and MIKE SHAYNE MYSTERY MAGAZINE, while working an assortment of odd jobs: busboy, skid-row phlebotomist, etc.

In one of my smarter moves, I attended the Clarion West SF and Fantasy Writing Workshop in Seattle, where my instructors included a few former STAR TREK writers and editors: Norman Spinrad, Vonda McIntyre, and David Hartwell. David convinced me to move to New York City and get a job in publishing. (The phrase "wasting your life" may have been uttered.) I ended up spending several years working as a book editor in NYC, while writing on the side. Started writing TREK books in 1995, around the time DS9 debuted, and have been at it ever since.

Eventually I segued from being a full-time editor who writes on the side to being a full-time editor who still does a little editing on the side. (Technically, I'm a Consulting Editor for Tor Books.) Eventually I moved out of NYC and relocated to rural Pennsylvania, just south of Philadelphia. And here we are . . ..

Don't get to as many conventions as I used, back when I was younger, but I still like to hit one or two a year . . ..

Last edited by Greg Cox; March 23 2015 at 03:34 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2015, 05:30 AM   #1172
Brie
Lieutenant Commander

View Brie's Twitter Profile
Re: Get To Know You Thread, For Both New And Old Trekkies Alike!

1001001 wrote: View Post
Brie wrote: View Post

So let's hear about you guys. Write what ever about yourself you think is important or pertinent for other people to know. That when we come across each other on future forums we can have a little bit more background information about who we're talking to!
Brie,

Since your thread was so similar to this one, I am merging the two. "Old" Trekkies can post in here as well as "New" ones...

Is there any way I could create a separate thread? Just since this ones been going on so long, like a nice refresher. I can change up the topic a bit, that way it's not so similar.
Old March 27 2015, 08:22 AM   #1173
Kor
Vice Admiral

I live on the West Coast of the US and I work in an office.
I've always been interested in science fiction, ever since I was a little kid. I enjoy the original Star Trek, as well as other classic TV shows such as The Outer Limits and Mission Impossible.
I used to post here a lot, and then I took a little break. Now I'm posting again.

Kor
Old March 27 2015, 04:43 PM   #1174
JoeCabby
Ensign

Brie wrote: View Post
Are you sure? I could post photos almost instantly.

To do so find the picture you want and right click copy and paste
When you look that good, I don't think anyone would object to you posting pictures of yourself
JoeCabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2015, 05:02 PM   #1175
JoeCabby
Ensign

I loved TNG when I was a kid, but never got to watching the other Star Trek's. Once Netflix started offering TNG, I began rewatching the whole series. After finishing it, I wanted more, so I went back and watched the TOS and finished watching all the other Star Treks. Just this week I finished watching Enterprise. I joined a few weeks ago but avoiding posting and reading too much to avoid any spoilers. I'll probably be posting more now that I've finished it all and still rewatch episodes here and there.
JoeCabby is offline   Reply With Quote