What do you think Star Trek will do for its 50th anniversary?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Overlord, Nov 26, 2013.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doctor Who did a fair amount for its 50th anniversary, what do you think people behind Star Trek will do for its 50th anniversary?

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Star Trek XIII maybe? They'll be crazy not to release a new movie in time for the anniversary.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hopefully, Trek XIII will be released that year, but really, I'm not sure what all can be done. Without an active TV series, I don't see them doing the kind of hoopla Doctor Who did. The tie-ins will go to town with special novels and comics released for the event, and maybe a special retrospective will air on TV with interviews with all the actors and what not. Otherwise, I don't think much will be done or even can be done.

4. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Light cigars with $100 bills? Pick up prostitutes? I have no idea, I've never been to Hollywood. What The People Behind Star Trek should do is produce a Star Trek: Christmas Special that was as hilarious and enjoyable as the Star Wars Holiday Special. I don't think Bea Arthur is that busy these days.

An animated series set between Trek II and Trek III would be nice. If they don't spend all the birthday money on cocaine and strippers.

Looking forward to it! :D

5. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

A giant convention.

6. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

A new movie is pretty much all I expect.
    Hopefully some comics and special novels to extend the anniversary beyond the new universe to include the original universe in the party. Probably be an assortment of special merchandise.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well we suspect the next movie will be out in 2016(after all it's a marketeing dream), and I suppose there is also a remote possibility of a new Trek TV show either being announced or airing in 2016.

8. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rerelease all existing merchandise with a 50th Anniversary Edition logo on the box but the exact same content. :bolian:

9. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone needs to build a very high fidelity full-sized powered Enterprise shuttlecraft. With a metallic hull. Take it out to the entrance to Area 51 in the middle of the night. Set it up like it has crash-landed. Leave a note by the door that says "Gone for fuel. Be back soon." And wait for the highjinks of the government and the conspiracy theorists to ensue.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

And a jacked up price.

SyFy might have a marathon ... woo hoo.

:)

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek XIII, continuing the adventures of Kirk, Spock and company after the events of Into Darkness. Paramount are aiming for a 2016 release.

Some kind of special big novelverse event.

Some retrospective nonfiction books about Trek.

Maybe a third fanfilm from the makers of Of Gods and Men and Renegades, bringing back a couple of original cast members, providing the latter doesn't turn out to be a total disaster.

12. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

A third movie from the makers of OGAM and Renegades would be nice to include the original universe Trek in the anniversary year.

13. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did that already. It's at Space Center Houston.

14. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Most is pretty obvious, and been covered; new movie, TV special (documentary-type), novel event, comic event, more trading cards, and of course a slew of new (or repackaged) merchandise.
    If the thread was 'What do you want for the Star Trek 50th anniversary', the answer would be a lot different. But, as we say back on earth, c'est la vie!

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    All of it? That would be one hell of a huge mountain of stuff!

Personally, I'd like to get the two collector's spoons I missed out on (McCoy and Scotty), as well as the old 8" action figures I don't have (the originals, not the obvious fakes).

16. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Prior to the movie's release, Steven Moffat described it as "a love letter to the fans." Of course, given my experience as a Trekkie, that raised a lot of red flags. Thankfully, Moffat and Co. delivered it well. But the last time Star Trek had "a love letter to the fans," we got TATV. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Hopefully for Star Trek's 50th, we'll get something much better than TATV.

17. ALF

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised in this day and age that a massive "digital content repackaging" type of service was offered... $200 flat rate for every episode of every series ever, maybe streamed to the player of your choice. I can see why they'd keep the current ongoing films out of the equation, but with the exception of the TNG HD re-releases, all those Trek hours are gathering dust.

18. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Lots of re-releases with new logos, a made for TV/DVD Special with retrospective interviews and same stories we have all heard before and a big expensive table top book with photos we have seen before also.

Not really expecting anything great since the people who control things now do not really 'get it' and look upon the fans as kooks to be exploited...

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm leaning toward re-releases with a couple new interviews and slicker packaging.

20. ALF

Steven Moffat - Oh no, he did-N'T.
    Yeah, "valentine to the fans" lives on in infamy.

You know, I think as a pretty big fan base here, we've set the bar pretty goddamn low. I mean, seriously. So far it sounds about as awesome as being kicked in the balls by Roddenberry Jr. for Trek's 50th. :lol:
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    For next year's 50th anniversary of STAR TREK (TM)
    GET KICKED IN THE BALLS BY RODDENBERY JUNIOR (TM)

The Las Vegas Hilton welcomes TREK(TM) fans from around the world to the fabulous 50th bash for TREK - where instead of a new series, either animated or live action, instead of a third film in time for the event or in time for any meaningful HD upgrade to either DS9(TM) or VOYAGER(TM), Eugene "Rod" Roddenbery(TM) will be here with some powerful and rich CBS(TM) executives. Fans willing to brave long lineups will be able to be KICKED IN THE BALLS* for free, both in celebration of TREK's milestone, and in sarcastic symbolism of our being out of touch with TREK fans.

In 2014, TREK YOUR BALLS OFF!

* = Female or otherwise testicle-free TREK fans will be given their choice of an adequately even kick either in the backside or front​

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013