OT: James Swallow and Deus Ex

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, May 1, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was just looking around on Amazon, and apparently our very own James Swallow has written Icarus Effect,a novel set in the universe of the Deus Ex video games, and he is also one of the writers of the next game in the series, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. This was one of my most anticipated games this year before I found out he was a writer for it, and learning this just makes me that much more excited for it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to pick up the book sometime before the game comes out.

2. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Hey JD, thanks for the interest in Deus Ex. I have indeed written Icarus Effect, which is a 'side-story' that ties in to the first few hours of the plotline of the Deus Ex Human Revolution videogame. I've been a core member of the writing team on DXHR since early 2008 and it's been a great experience - the finished game looks awesome!

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Ooooh, good! James, I've been wondering this, but didn't know who to ask: I never played either of the previous Deus Ex games. Is the novel written for people who are into the universe and understand it from the previous games, or is it a good place to jump in? How about the game itself?

4. James Swallow

You should certainly play the first one, if you get the chance. It's dead cheap and worth the effort.

You don't have to be Deus Ex-savvy to read Icarus Effect but you'll get a lot more out of it if you are.

You can play Deus Ex Human Revolution without having played the other games in the series; it's actually a prequel to the original game.

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ Awesome, thanks for the help.

6. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

to mr.swallow all so love you're warhammer 40 k novels awesome are you planing to write any for horous hersey?

7. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember the first game being a LOT of fun. Didn't play the 2nd because I wasn't into games at the time and if I remember correctly it got a lot of so so reviews. I don't remember much if any of the back story, just some of the game play. I had a choice of being a stealth guy or carrying a big bazooka. I went with the bazooka most of the time.

8. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Timothy, did you actually graduate high school or is your grammar so bad because you type fast on an iPhone or something?

I just ask because it seems so bad. See below what it should look like, correctly formatted.

"To Mr. Swallow, I also love your Warhammer 40k novels. They're awesome. Are you planing to write any for Horus Heresey?"

9. James Swallow

It's, uh, actually Heresy...

And in answer to timothy's question, I've already written two Horus Heresy novels - The Flight of the Eisenstein and Nemesis - plus short stories in the anthologies Tales of Heresy and Age of Darkness, and the audio dramas Oath of Moment and Legion of One. I'm planning a third Horus Heresy novel for 2012.

10. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a typo :scream:

11. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am up to nemesis right now and loving it. just picked up the new hersey anthology as well this week. I wish you could get david mack to right for the warhammer universe his combat righting is fantastic. all so picked up stargate universe air nove excellent read. are they planing to do more for the books?

all so I looked up you're new book on my nook and it apears as untitled eidos and it's 9.99.

12. James Swallow

Fandemonium Books have discussed the idea of more Stargate Universe novels, but there are no firm plans that I'm aware of.