EP: Ethics a what if

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TS-1838-SWATH, May 30, 2009.

1. TS-1838-SWATH

TS-1838-SWATH Commander Red Shirt

What if in the episode Ethics Worf had died?
    What do you think of this outcome

2. TS-1838-SWATH

If Worf had DIED it would have opened up a new plot arc for Deanna and given her something major to do raise Alexander a purpose

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I would have loved Deep Space Nine even more! :p

4. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

technically he did.

had worf died for real it would be positive in my book. i'm not too keen on klingons.

5. TS-1838-SWATH

:p

Okay stayed DEAD as in PERMANENT

6. Trilliam

Trilliam Captain Captain

Is that the one with the spinal operation? It's been a while since I watched TNG.

In that episode, Crusher was right to tell the other quack off. THe second doctor was lucky that her unproven, untested procedure didn't leave Worf dead for real. The ends do not justify the means. Had that been a human/Betazoid/Vulcan/Xenexian patient without "redundant" internal organs, she would have just signed their death warrent for the sake of testing her unproven experimental theory.

YMMV.

7. Gary Sebben

Gary Sebben Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Its hard to seriously discuss such a dumb episode. Worf is too human to want to kill himself over an injury. Klingons don't have multiple organs. They always die as easily as anyone else. And the fight between mary sue Bev Crusher and the other doctor was often more silly than seriously thoughtful. But all and all I wouldn't have cared if Worf died, especially that late in the series.

8. Trilliam

Trilliam Captain Captain

Plus the quacki dr should have been brought up before the Medical Disciplinary Board and deregistered for her unethical behaviour. Malpractice at the very least.

9. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Um yes they do. It's called the brak'lul. Klingons possess two livers, an eight-chambered heart, 23 ribs, two stomachs and a double-lined neural pia mater.

10. Trilliam

Trilliam Captain Captain

So the quack was just lucky that Worf didn't die.

11. Gary Sebben

Gary Sebben Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah! They're invincible! Come on man, that's such a bad fanboyish retcon after seeing so man klingons bite it from simple wounds. Just look at Star Trek VI and the "one shot one kill" scenes. I'm not debating that this episode said Klingons have redundancies, I'm saying its dumb and contradicts everything before it.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

When haven't they contradicted themselves? Just look at Voyager and Janeway's backstory. Klingon blood goes from pink to red. The Klingon Homeworld will be dead in 50 years (TUC) yet is still around in the TNG timeframe.

In short it comes from an episode so it's real (unless Roddenberry or TPTB said it isn't and they haven't).

13. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only reason they made Klingon blood pink in ST:VI was to ensure it received a PG rating, thereby enabling it to reach a wider audience and earn a bigger profit.

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Yep, they were worried about the MPAA.

15. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Klingons still only have one brain and one heart (albeit, an eight-chambered one). A shot through one of these causes the same "problems" as in other species.

I assume the "brak'lul" just helps with how strong they are (we already knew that) and helps them live longer (like Kor), because they don't have to worry so much about things like liver failure or kidney disease when they have the backups. They evolved from the Proto-Worf seen in Genesis, so it makes sense that they maintained some of that "invulnerability."

16. Iruka

Iruka Ensign Red Shirt

I'm contemplating a fanfic about this, since I really like the older Alexander's realtionship with Deanna (at least the bits we see in print, especially in Triangle: Imzadi II)... I can see her, for instance, having to take on the job of defending Worf's family honor because Alexander is too young. That could be awfully cool. :klingon:

Putting aside from the silly premise (which never stops me from enjoying a good story), I love the scene in "Ethics" where Worf stops just short of saying straight up what he wants Troi to do, instead letting her figure it out for herself. The horrified look on her face as she says, "You want me to raise Alexander?" and the bit where he tells her there's no one he'd trust more... Wonderful. :luvlove:

Iruka

Worf: For the love of Kahless! Counselor Troi has seized control of the Romulan Warbird!

Picard: Oh, sure. And I suppose Saudi Arabia won the Olympic Ice Hockey gold?

--Five-Minute "Face of the Enemy," www.fiveminute.net