Columbia NX-02 backstory?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Tidus79001, Jul 17, 2011.

?

Should the Columbia NX-02 & crew get set of books devoted?

1. Yes! I would like to see a full set of books tell the backstory of the Columbia NX-02 & crew!!

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. No! I have no interest in the backstory of the Columbia NX-02 & crew!!

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. Tidus79001

Tidus79001 Lieutenant Commander

I myself have really enjoyed the segments of the Enterprise “Romulan War” saga in the books that feature the Columbia NX-02. It would be nice however if they would devote a set of books to Columbia NX-02 ship & crew as they did to tell the backstory of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-B under the command of Captain John Harriman, and USS Enterprise NCC-1701-C under the command of Captain Rachael Garrett.

When the book “Ships of the line” dangled the carrot in front of my face with the picture showing the Columbia NX-02 found crash landed on the surface of a planet in the Gamma Quadrant & the blurb of a description about its disappearance being one of the most enduring mysteries in Starfleet history really got me interested in that ship & its crew. I was really excited to read the Destiny Trilogy books that told the story of how the ship came to rest there.

Who would like to see them get their own set of books fully devoted to their story just as they did to tell the backstory of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-B & crew under the command of Captain John Harriman, and USS Enterprise NCC-1701-C & crew under the command of Captain Rachael Garrett?

Feel free to vote on this topic in the poll included in this thread.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

What else is there to tell? We saw the NX-02 launch during the series, then there's her brief bit in the Romulan war right after the series and then that leads stright to the end of Columbia in the amazing Destiny trilogy of books. Where can they fit in new stories?

I'd MUCH rather a series of novels set on the USS Kelvin. Captain Robau, George and Winona Kirk (who came from the novels), Anchloss and the Bug Eyed Nurse have much more story potential.

3. Tidus79001

Ok, that is a good point, but there is much more story in between that could be told just as have been done with ships that were featured in their own series. There has to be much more story to tell that that. They must have had more the just a handful of mission as all ship & crews do.

You should vote in the poll so that your opinion will be officially noted :)

4. Tidus79001

I am thinking I should have included a third option of:

Possibly! I might have interest in the backstory of the Columbia NX-02 & crew, but only if there is a compelling new segment of their story to be told!!

:)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Erika Hernandez but frankly the backstory would be boring unless you crammed in something we never saw on the show, like make Section 31 intensely involved in some element of the NX-02 backstory. Otherwise it's just a bunch of astronauts training and forming relationships they have to leave behind when their mission starts.

I should add that well done it would be quite poignant knowing what becomes of them in Destiny.

6. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be honest, I found myself skimming or even skipping the TNG parts and re-reading the Columbia parts of the Destiny trilogy.

I would love to read a novel about how she became CO of the second starship.

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

She slept with AJ Robinson, and chained him to the bedpost, and made it to Admiral Forrest's office the next morning. Forrest had assumed AJ wasn't interested and gave the job to her.

8. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

How about the NX-03 Challenger? Or NX-04 Discovery?

9. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    Or NX-05 Atlantis? Or NX-06 Endeavour? Or NX-07 Cockring?

10. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

^^ Shouldn't it be NX-07 Buran? ;)

11. Python Trek

Dude, they TOTALLY ripped off our design!

12. Middleman

Middleman Captain Captain

We certainly don't get anywhere near enough Enterprise books now (two years since the last one is a crime) so I would like to see more Enterprise novels first. However, Enterprise Era stories centering around Columbia would be a great addition. A series working up to the events of the Destiny series would be very interesting and give us another take on the that part of Star Fleet history.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The crime is that they let Micheal Martin keep writing them.

14. Python Trek

I haven't enjoyed a Trek novel in about 5 years. :(

I wish they'd let John Byrne keep making Trek comics, so at least I'd have some kind of new Trek, in these Dark (Abramsverse) Times.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've enjoyed some over the last five years (Children of Kings being one), but they are few and far in-between.

16. Middleman

Middleman Captain Captain

They might not be great, but they are better than nothing; especially in the case of Enterprise. At least they give some resolution to a prematurely canceled series.

And speaking of nothing, that's pretty much what we have now. I don't consider one movie every four years much of a franchise, whether you like Abrams Trek or not.

17. Python Trek

Better than nothing---a ringing endorsement! :p

18. Tidus79001

I think that Star Trek: The Original series has been getting it worse than Enterprise. There has been a lack of books that feature the Kirk's crew together on the Enterprise. A lot of the most recently published books have been backstories about Captain Pike's crew, or some other backstory that doesn't feature Kirk's crew. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a good backstory, but I don't want them to take the lion's share of published books for the series.

However, the book "Star Trek: A Choice of Catastrophes" is due on August 30, 2011 & does feature Kirk's crew together on the Enterprise. I hope this means that they intend to get back to publishing more books that focus on Kirk's crew on the Enterprise.

I would have to disagree about Michael Martin writing the Enterprise books. I have found these books by him to be extremely well written. Reading these books make me realize how much we lost out on when they cancelled Enterprise & cut short by 3 years. The final 2 seasons of Enterprise were quite good in my opinion. These books really show there were so many good stories left to be told about the Enterprise NX-02 & Archer's crew.

I would have really enjoyed seeing the "Romulan War" storyline that is in the books be done as episodes during the final 3 seasons that were cut short from Enterprise.

19. Kes2370

Kes2370 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

As a fan of DS9, VOY AND now ENT, i do wish there had been books on the NX-02 and her crew, they were partly in Star Trek Destiny trilogy. Even then shame about the ship and crew - Erika Hernandez.