Effects updates you'd like to see for TNG-remastered.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by t_smitts, Feb 2, 2013.

1. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TOS remastered didn't just give us more realistic-looking shots, but actually replaced some spacecraft at times. (In "the Ultimate Computer", the starbase was changed from a K7 type to a Vanguard type, and the Woden from a DY-100 looking thing to a TAS-era freighter look).

Are there any similar shots you'd like to see replaced with something new? Here's some I thought of:

-It might be nice to have a new look for the Bozeman, instead of just a Miranda with some extra stuff on the back.

-I'd like to see the Arcos more clearly in "Legacy"

-It's probably too late for this one, but those abnormally large BoP's surrounding the Romulans in "The Defector" would look better as a couple of Vor'chas.

-I'd also like to see more of the blockade fleet in "Redemption Part 2".

-Hopefully, we can also finally get rid of that unsightly phaser-from-the-torpedo-tube shot in "Darmok".

Any others you'd like to see replaced?

2. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It wouldn't make sense to change the BoP's in "The Defector" because in "Reunion" they have two that are as big as a Vor'cha. I guess we'll just have to go with the idea that they are much larger versions of the same design. http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s4/4x07/reunion212.jpg

"Darmok" - I'd like to see them fix the phaser but I doubt it'll happen since the close up of the torpedo tube would have to be completely replaced. http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s5/5x02/darmok289.jpg

"Transfigurations" - Improve John Doe once he evolves into an energy being. Despite the yellow glow you can see it's a guy in a skin tight suit right down to the outline of his junk.

"The Wounded" - Change the Cardassian ship's phasers from pink to amber/gold to match all subsequent episodes.

"Galaxy's Child" - The CGI space creature looks pretty dated now and could do with an upgrade. http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s4/4x16/galaxyschild158.jpg

"Silicon Avatar" - Use the new Crystalline Entity model from "Datalore" for this episode.

"The Mind's Eye" - Change the shots from Geordi's point of view to better match shots from "Heart of Glory" and "The Enemy"

"Timescape" Add the visible hull damage caused by the Romulan Warbird to the stock shots used at the end of the episode where it magically disappears. http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s6/6x25/timescape171.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Maybe for Darmok, they could change it to the ventral array on the underside of the Engineering hull.

4. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any use of CGI in TNG will have to be replaced, it's not a matter of wanting it. It's gonna happen. And because CBS-D is not George Lucas, it will be replaced with something that honors the original effect.

The aliens in Galaxy's Child, the return of the Crystalline Entity, the comet and archive in Masks, the shattering effect in Frame of Mind, the lifeform in Emergence, etc. All of those things are either outdated for today or completely lost, or both.

The only "change" I want is correcting the phaser mistake in Darmok. Any other change would be akin to pulling a George Lucas, and would be a disservice to the show.

5. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I don't know. Replacing the refit Enterprise with the TOS Enterprise when looking up the records of the PSI2000 virus was a nice change that didn't disservice the show, as was the enhanced 'pull back' shot in the Borg Cube.

6. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

I agree, adding a modern day polish to the show like CBS D did for Season 1 I'm all for but totally re-imagining effects work goes against what they're trying to achieve.

I'd like to see minor improvements, one that comes to mind is the shot of the Borg cube beginning to self destruct as the Enterprise moves away. Reusing the antimatter spread explosions didn't look terribly convincing.

7. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not so much of a purist that I'm opposed to replacing shots or effects as new technology emerges.

At the risk of starting a flame-war, I actually liked some of the changes made to Star Wars in '97: (I think the "Greedo shooting first" bit is nonsense as much as anyone, but I did like the updated X-Wing shots; the celebrations on Bespin, Tatooine, and Coruscant; and replacing that silly "Yub Nub" song at the end with something a bit more serious)

Similarly, I was fine with what I saw changed in TOS-remastered. It's probably best, for instance, that the Woden doesn't look like the Botany Bay, and it's hard to defend not fixing the size discrepancy in "The Doomsday Machine".

I'm just curious to see what they might've done had a bit more time and money been available.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The absolute only change they should've made was to Hide and Q. They should've brought Wil Wheaton in and reshot the older Wesley Crusher scene and inserted it into the episode.

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Future Wesley should be pudgy ... with a beard?

~

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Okay, but only if they just pasted Wil's face badly over the other actor. If it doesn't look ridiculous, what's the point of it? ;)

[​IMG]

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm well aware it'll never happen, but I think it would be kinda cool if they DID go George Lucas insane on TNG - but as an optional extra with the original versions, of course. I'd love to see them walking past far more alien crewmembers (like the kinds seen in TAS, TMP, STIV and ST) in the corridors and manning the consoles at the back of the bridge.

And the biggest nit I'd fix is seeing the rear of the ship outside the observation deck windows, and maybe seeing the curve of the saucer at the bottom of the viewscreen. I've always loved shots that connect the inside and outside of the ship. It would really add a sense of scale.

12. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I , on the other hand, would loathe that. lol

They would have to employ two completely separate crews for a restoration, reimagining job like that.

The viewscreen isn't a window like in the JJ-verse though, it's just a viewscreen. Wouldn't make sense to see the curve of the saucer, except in rare circumstances where they're actually focusing on a part of space where you could actually see it.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Why? It's not a window, so why put the camera/sensors right in that same spot?

Agreed on the Obs lounge though. And I'd love for angled shuttle bay doors. :)

14. F. King Daniel

Yeah, I didn't expect it to be too popular:)
    But in defualt mode, isn't the viewscreen replicating what the view would be from a window in that position? That's the impression I've always had.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've never gotten that impression in the five series and first ten movies. Never did we see the forward section of the primary hull. :shrug:

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Is there a single instance that indicates that? I can't think of one. I always assumed the images came from the massive sensor strip that runs around the rim of the saucer section. (I guess there would be other sensors too, but I ain't a techspert. :) )

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Agreed, I've never got the impression that it was replacing a window. It's just a big TV screen that can display anything. If anything it's fed by sensors on the exterior hull of the ship.

18. F. King Daniel

See: Nemesis, when the Scimitar directly hits the viewscreen and the front of the bridge is blown out. In that and Voyager's "Year of Hell" the view of the enemy ship through the breach is the same as would have been on-screen, had the screen still been there.

I've always seen it as budgetary/fx contraints or hope-they-don't-notice-itis that they never showed the saucer from the bridge or observation lounge behind. Especially annoying for me was the Obs lounge on the Enterprise-E, which should have had an incredible view of the ship, which we only ever saw properly in the Elite Force II videogame.

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Regarding the Obs deck windows...I think the only time you'd see any of the ship would be if the aspect was right against the windows looking down. It was about...what...15 decks above the nacelles?

Maybe someone can post a screenshot of the minecraft or sketchup version of the ship looking aft from the lounge.

20. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not that it matters much to me 'cause I hate both episodes but the first thing I thought of is changing the Lysian Central Command in Conundrum (5X14) to something other than the same model used as the "Edo godthing" in Justice (1X08).

That model went from being something potentially able to crush the Enterprise like a bug to something the Enterprise was able to crush like a bug. lol