Charting the Novel-verse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, May 26, 2010.

1. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

According to Memory Beta, there was a passing reference to him in "Fables of the Prime Directive," though it doesn't look to have been anything substantial; just that Starfleet checked up with him to see if there was anything else they could do, he still refused to leave, so they decided there wasn't and just cut him loose entirely to avoid further Prime Directive issues.

It must not have been more than just a side comment, though, because I've read that one and I don't remember it at all. :p

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I figured something like that was probably the case, but I wasn't sure if maybe Worf could have gotten away with going to visit him sometime.

3. Idran

Question that came to mind recently after Bantam came up in another thread, this seems like the best place to ask: I'm sure that explicit connections would be off-limits due to rights issues, but have there ever been any hints or veiled references towards the events of any of the Bantam novels in any of the Pocket Books novels? Modern or otherwise. I'm just curious if any names were ever dropped, or Bantam plots were eluded to, or anything like that.

4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Why would references to Bantam novels be off-limits?

It got Star Trek slapped on the cover, meaning it's a Paramount and/or CBS property.

I know the issue is a strict one among ST games, but aren't the novels a free-for-all operating under a ST licence?

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There's never been any problem with Pocket novels referring to ideas from other publishers' works, such as comic books or role-playing games. All Star Trek concepts belong to CBS (formerly Paramount) and are fair game.

However, the only case I'm aware of where a Pocket novel has referenced a Bantam novel was in The Prometheus Design, where Marshak & Culbreath mentioned the events of their own Phoenix novels from Bantam (and I think "The Procrustean Petard" got an acknowledgment too). More generally, the Bantam books offered versions of the Trek universe that were hard to reconcile with later (or sometimes earlier) screen stories and often weren't all that good.

6. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How much of the A Time to series is in Articles of the Federation? Could one just start at Death in Winter and be not too lost?

7. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

The same could be said of the Gold Key and FASA takes on the ST universe, but that hasn't stopped the occasional reference to those tie-ins from popping up anyway...

If I were writing a 5YM story, I'd probably try to throw in a Bantam reference or two, if I could, just to be inclusive. :)

8. Idran

Aha; my mistake!

Oh yeah, definitely, I just wasn't sure if someone might've slipped something in anyway. Thanks for the info!

9. Christopher

Hmm, good point. One can make homages to things without intending to incorporate them into the continuity. Heck, I referenced the post-TMP newspaper comic strip in Forgotten History.

Maybe it's just that not many of the Bantam novels are all that well-regarded. Still, there are some that might be worth paying tribute to, like Planet of Judgment or The Galactic Whirlpool.

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

You should really read the last three A Time To novels. All three are both awesome and important. You can completely skip the first six, though.

11. Bill Peters

Bill Peters Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Been enjoying reading the New DS9 Novels and the Voyager Novels, just finished Acts of Contrition by Kirsten Beyer looking forward to Star Trek Voyager Atonement

12. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I'm going to dive into post-finale DS9, VOY, and ENT sometime very soon. I have a bunch of books on my shelf; I've just needed to find the time to get started. Thanks for constantly keeping this updated, and being such a great place to keep up with the Novel-verse in general.

13. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How did you reference it, Christopher?

14. Christopher

One of the Klingon characters in the alternate timeline, Captain Tunzos, was from one of the newspaper strip storylines by Thomas Warkentin. I had him mention being a veteran of the War of Kentin.

15. Lexx Shrapnel

Lexx Shrapnel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Are there any good books focusing on away teams that are not filled with on screen characters? Especially TOS era.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you mean TOS books or any books in that era? Because the Vanguard series only has a small number of onscreen characters in it, so when we do get away teams they are mostly made up of new characters.

17. Idran

I think they mean something like "Lower Decks" TOS-style.

The Errand of Vengeance series is sort of in that vein? That might be worth checking into, Lexx.

18. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

So I'm almost done with The Fall and I have Voyager: Protectors slated as my next novel after the two post-Fall ebook novellas. However, I was wondering if there's any guiding principle to the four most recent 24th Century novels.

I'd most likely read them in publication order, but I do note that Section 31: Disavowed is set in January 2386 while The Missing and Takedown happen concurrently in late November 2385. I believe Light Fantastic is also in November 2385.

Is there any discernible benefit to reading them chronologically? I doubt it since they're close enough to be the same period, just wondering before I jump in.

19. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

No; after the fall, the 24th century line has really spread out and is doing a bunch of different things. None of those books has anything to do with the others, story-implication-wise.

20. Gate11au

Gate11au Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ok I am reading typhon's pact the strugle within ebook tho I am a bit confused about which book to read next in terms of publication order I should read plages of night but the years which the books takes place I think voyagers protectors is in 2382 like the last pact novel so just wondering which way to go in read it.
    Thanks