Treking through all Star Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by thew40, Sep 21, 2009.

1. laurence3000

laurence3000 Cadet Newbie

I never could watch the series in chronological order. Everyday I seem to fall asleep, and then I have to start all over again.........BLAH!

2. thew40

thew40 Commander Red Shirt

Coffee!

3. thew40

Series: Enterprise - Season Three
    Episode: “Rajin”
    Trek Installment # 54
    Grade: C+
    Viewing Date: November 6, 2009

The Xindi send a spy to whore up the Enterprise. There ya go.

While I will be taking off points for trying to sex-up the show with a needless and confusing flirt session between Rajin and Hoshi, I actually found myself liking this episode. Rajin grew on me and she kicked some serious ass, which was great to see. It’s unfortunate that this is all we see of her.

I really like the Xindi Council scenes, as they give a face to enemy and let’s the viewer into the inner workings of a plot that our heroes are trying to end. Showing us the internal conflicts of the council continue to flesh them out and brings a dose of reality to them

More neuro-pressure. More sex. While it does continue to build things between Trip and TPol, it’s a little . . . forced. Nice touch of continuity with references to “Extinction.” I liked the alien market, too.

Overall, not a bad episode. Not a classic and not perfect, but it was a lot of fun and generally cool.

4. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

D for "Cogenitor"; C for "Bounty" - not going for this grading curve at all.

5. thew40

I really don't understand what everyone saw in "Cogentior?" What was so good about it?

"Bounty" was kinda dumb, but I liked the Tellarite a lot. He was kinda the loveable loser.

6. thew40

Episode: “Impulse”
    Trek Installment # 55
    Grade: B-

I think – though I’m not completely certain – that I liked this.

There wasn’t much to it, but it was kinda cool to see Archer, Reed, Redshirt, and a crazy T’Pol run around a crippled Vulcan ship chased by Vulcan zombies in an asteroid field. I mean, it was cool and kinda freaky and very effective. Seeing T’Pol just become unhinged ala Tucker and the gang from “Strange New World” was well handled and left the character haunted and changed as a result.

Further, it shows off the horror of the Expanse, as even our greatest allies – even if that’s a lose term in those days – can be torn down completely. It’s a dark episode, equally chilling and surprising. But it fits well with Enterprise and the story arc.

There’s something to be said about this new direction of Enterprise. It channels a new level of creativity and energy that had been lacking before. While I’m reluctant at times to grant the Xindi storyline a lot, it at least takes the time to develop new aspects of the Trek universe – and bring more development to characters like T’Pol, who I felt was pretty stiff, Pa’nar or not.

And here I thought the Vulcan’s from “Stigma” were jerks . . .

7. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    Impulse was one of the better episodes but there were too many filler episodes for me in what I consider Enterprises best season.
    The next episode for example, Exile, only real lrelevance to the Xindi story is learning more about the spheres and then leading into the next episodes, The Shipment, where they encounter the Xindi really for the first time, but this could have been done in in the previous episode. I feel that this season still did a lot of dragging its feet story wise.

8. thew40

Agreed -- completely. A number of these episodes tended to distracted from the overall story that was trying to be told. Sometimes they were entertaining, but most of the time . . . bleh.

--------

Episode: “Exile”
    Trek Installment # 56
    Grade: D+

Oh, Tarquin, you crazy dude. You’re not the Doctor; you’re not allowed to have companions. You just can’t telepathically seduce random women and have them be your “companion.” Even if it’s Hoshi and even when are again confirmed with the fact that she’s lonely and she isolates herself. Just because you’re lonely and isolated doesn’t mean that you should go after chicks who feel this way. I tell ya what . . . there’s this great little world called Betazed. Tons of telepaths. They’d love you! Or, if you still got your itch for isolation, then I gotta recommend the Talos star group. Some great people there.

Personally, I liked the little side-plot with Trip and Archer as they make tons of noise in the silence of space. Kinda fun.

But anyways, Tarquin, you’re a tragic guy, but you need to chill out a little bit. Don’t push so hard and you’ll be a-okay. Thank for the tip on the Xindi colony, though. Much obliged.

------

Or, in other words, this was kind of a stinker, folk. Tarquin would have done well in the 24th century, but not so much in the 22nd. But damn, he tries hard!

9. thew40

Episode: “The Shipment”
    Trek Installment # 57
    Grade: B +

I had to really take some time to digest this episode. Besides the skirmish in “Rajin,” this is the first we really get to see and understand the Xindi. We are introduced to average joe Gralik, who becomes a more interesting character when he reveals that he had no knowledge of the super weapon and is eventually swayed to Archer’s side.

On the other hand, we have Archer who – despite his anger and frustration – can’t find the guts to wipe the facility off the map on the grounds that not only does it confirm the Xindi’s fears, but also . . . well, they’re people. It reminded me a lot of the scene in “The American President” when the President has to order the military strike on that bunker and he laments even having to take the life of the night janitor. It’s a good place for Archer to be in, as it expresses the fact that no matter how far he’s gone, he’s not angry enough to go that far.

In addition to that, this episode also gives the Xindi a face and gives a deeper understanding of their history and culture. We learn that not all Xindi are into killin’ all humans and that, well, they’re people too. Gralik was a great character, one who I’m glad was introduced. And it was nice to have the details of the Xindi fleshed out as well.

10. thew40

Episode: “Twilight”
    Trek Installment # 58
    Grade: A
    Viewing Date: November 8, 2009

There’s no small bit of irony that Enterprise’s finest hour comes at humanity’s worst. Here we have Archer (doing his best Drew Berrymore ala “Fifty First Dates” imitation) stuck on Ceta Alpha Five (a world doomed to devastation), being cared for by T’Pol. Earth is destroyed; the once top-of-the-line Enterprise is reduced to playing patrolman.

And then we find that killing some parasites in Archer’s brain will fix everything.

It’s far-fetched, but it’s science fiction. This takes the current arc with the Xindi and plays a more outlandish sci-fi spin on it. I love it.

This episode is more or less a “bad dream episode,” but like so many of them in the Trek world, it’s a classic. The characters have changed, most of them griming and growing darker. Humanity stands with enemies around them and in terrible danger of being driven to extinction. And then Archer uses his head, blows the ship up, and everything goes back to normal.

Again, this is one of the best Enterprise has to offer.

11. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

I fully agree about Twilight. I also think it's funny that the only episode of the season were Travis does something noticeable is the one where he dies.

12. thew40

Episode: “North Star”
    Trek Installment # 59
    Viewing Date: November 9, 2009

I’m not the biggest fan of mixing Star Trek with other genres – most especially westerns. It just seems too strange a fit. Now, I’ve never seen “Specter of the Gun” and it’s been about ten years since I’ve seen “A Fistful of Datas,” but I can tell you right now that those were probably enough to meet the Trek-western quota.

Well, then came “North Star.”

“North Star” is an odd fit in the third season. It distracts from the overarching Xindi story and comes across as more or less a distraction for the crew. This episode would have been the perfect in season two – or as a prequel to “Specter of the Gun” in season four (with some changes obviously). That being said, it’s gives us a logical reason for the humans to be there. It addresses our questions about their development. Archer’s approach to this lost branch of humanity is logical and works out well.

It’s a surprisingly fun and fascinating story that I actually enjoyed. I really wished there had been follow-up here, as this would have been a good episode to have a sequel to.

Also, this fanvid is awesome.

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been enjoying your reviews. I hope you compile a list of just episodes and grades and some point for easy reference. :)

14. thew40

I have an Excel spreadsheet that has all the episode in their viewing order, as well as their grades thus far. I'll post that soon.

-----

Episode: “Similitude”
    Trek Installment # 60
    Grade: A+
    Viewing Date: November 9, 2009

Once in a great while, there is an episode that pushes beyond the norm. “City on the Edge of Forever.” “Duet” and “The Visitor.” “The Inner Light” and “The Measure of a Man.” These are episodes that challenge us. Episodes that aren’t about foreheads of the week or spatial anomalies or warp core plasma or any of those things. These are episodes that can be the cause of great debate and stir up emotions about what a man is or guilt or sacrifice. “Similitude” is one of these.

I don’t give out As very often. “Shuttlepod One” received an A because it was about mortality and death and companionship. “Breaking the Ice” got it because it broke away from the mold and dealt with the circumstances and characters on board in a normal fashion. “Twilight” won an A because it was damn good sci-fi. “Minefield” because it made a connection with the rest of the Star Trek universe while at the same time giving us a sort of “Shuttlepod One”-type story. “Similitude” gets an A because it’s damn good television.

Repeating the praise that others have given it seems redundant, so I’ll be brief. This is an episode that raises questions about mortality and sarficace and friendship. Each character connected with Sim in some way. Hoshi, reading with him. Reed trying to understand him. Phlox as his father. T’Pol as his crush. Travis as his . . . um, competition? But you catch my drift. Everyone’s lives were touched by Sim’s – even Porthos.

The circumstances for this episodes are perfect, too. If they weren’t in the Expanse, searching for the Xindi weapon, Archer would have bid Trip good bye and moved on. Phlox wouldn’t have given him the choice, really. The mortality of Sim makes every scene of development he gets all that more important. I actually teared up a little when T’Pol kissed him.

Just a great episode. Just fantastic.

15. thew40

Episode: “Carpenter Street”
    Trek Installment # 61
    Grade: C-
    Viewing Date: November 10, 2009

Yay! Daniels is back! We’re going to get some explanation about the Temporal Cold War and how the Xindi are tied into it and –

Wait. I guess not.

Well, at least Archer and T’Pol get to time travel.

But . . . I don’t know if it’s just me, but there’s something dark and depressing about this episode. Hookers and handicapped people being kidnapped; Archer committing crimes; and blood donor lacky doing shit for the aliens. It’s all rainy and dark. Really, it’s like a homage to the X-Files.

This is where the episode falters. One of the biggest appeals about Trek characters traveling through time is that in addition to having some of the usual time traveling fun, there’s more than a bit of culture shock. The only culture shock we got was the gang to a drive-thru and it was “cute,” not funny.

On the other hand, I found myself enjoying T’Pol’s comments. For example, the fossil fuels one, though it left me wondering what the hell is going to happen in 2061. Do we all go green by then or what?

But yeah, this wasn’t a good one. It wasn’t much fun, it wasn’t extremely significant, and it was just depressing. What would have been a better idea? If this took place on Alpha Centarui. Think of it. We’ve never seen that world. What if the Xindi managed to get themselves there and Daniels sent Archer and T’Pol there because someone was going to die (like, I don’t know, Bob Kirk or John Pike or Fred Picard) if they didn’t stop the Xindi? Instead, it was just another reason for me not to go to Detroit.

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ It's not just you. Why did the aliens want samples of different blood types in order to manufacture a deadly disease? Haven't they heard of, says, HIV? :scream:

17. thew40

Episode: “Chosen Realm”
    Trek Installment # 62
    Grade: D+

Religious extremism! Abortion! Murder! Torture! YAY! ALL RIGHT! Enterprise is awesome and relevant!

Give me a friggin’ break. Archer makes no attempt to win Bad Guy over to his side, but instead argues his values. We get some typical “have faith” and “I’ll say some prayers for you” crap that makes this whole Makers (aka Founders) religion clichéd. I know Enterprise was trying to go for the whole “using faith as an excuse” angle, but at the same time, why not focus more on the two characters that believed that what was going on was wrong? That would have made a huge difference – showing that this religion has been helpful and peaceful and show that Bad Guy has simply twisted it. Instead, heretics one and two are just kinda confused and conflicted.

The only thing that prevents this from being a completely bad episode was Archer’s re-taking of the ship. Very Kirk-like.

Other than that . . . bad.

18. thew40

Episode: “Proving Ground”
    Trek Installment # 63
    Grade: B+

This was the best Andorian episode yet and one of the best in the Xindi arc. Once more, Combs breathes life into Shran. We see Andorians fleshed out here – more than war-mongers; we see them as simply serving their own interest and only their own interests. Shran and Archer’s relationship is nicely developed, with all sorts of betrayals and runarounds, but with a mutual respect and a genuine core of friendship. It’s in that light that we can again see the glimmer of the Federation here.

The Xindi arc takes another leap with this episode, as we see the results of “The Shipment” and Starfleet receives info about the ship itself. This is another step forward for the storyline and helps progress us forward after stagnating for a while (though stagnating is the wrong word – after not a lot of major development I guess is more appropriate).

All-in-all, this has been a great episode.

19. thew40

Episode: “Stratagem”
    Trek Installment # 64

I don’t know if there’s a whole lot to say. I thought it was a decent enough episode, but nothing really stood out to me. Archer took a lot of gambles here – the first deception, the second deception, and then leaving Degra and co. in their ship. I question some of his moves here, but this is Archer in control. This is Archer pushed to his limit and finally just wants to take command of the entire situation.

I have to say that Archer’s arc has developed to a certain point here. When we first met him, he was so angry at the Vulcans, allowing his prejudice towards them blind his judgment. Archer was overeager in the beginning, then growing cautious and taking more time to be safe rather than his fly-off-the handle. He was then pushed – hard – by what has happened to Earth and what has started to happen to his crew. Archer went from being to torture someone and has stepped back and gone simply to deception. Archer puts the weight of his world on his shoulders and at times like these, it’s interesting to see him go through this.

20. thew40

Episode: “Harbinger”
    Trek Installment # 65
    Grade: C+

This episode had a lot of character moments to it, which is what I think I liked about it so much. While I wish there had been more build-up to the Hayes/Reed brawl, it was kinda fun to watch ‘em duke it out. It brought a lot of much needed attention to Reed and his new rival and turned out to be a good character building segment.

The Trip/T’Pol relationship leaps forward, though I’m not exactly sure how I feel about it. Their verbal banter was fun, I liked their first kiss, and the conversation the morning after in the mess hall. But T’Pol was pretty quick to jump Trip’s bone like that – though it’s revealed later she’s on drugs, so I guess it makes senses. She’s got one nice ass, though. Gotta say.

As far as the Sphere-Builder, I know that Archer is a real ass-kicker these days, but what he did seemed a little excessive. Before they even figured out that he was related to the Spheres, it seemed a little extreme to not listen to what he was saying and send him back to his ship. I did, however, like that last scene where a connection is revealed between his people and the Xindi.