Buffy the Vampire Slayer Remake... Without Joss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hermiod, May 26, 2009.

1. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the series, but the original film, no:(

I can't see much good coming of this.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm just go ahead and say that this quote is the best one so far.

That said, I kind of just want them to remake Buffy using the Star Trek script, because all these quotes make entirely too much sense.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm interested to see this go through just to watch the reactions on the internet.

4. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's another article about the film:

Buffy The Vampire Slayer is heading back to the big screen with a new movie based on the hit franchise.
    The character, most famously played by Sarah Michelle Gellar in the hit TV series, was originally introduced in the 1992 movie of the same name, starring Kristy Swanson.
    The following TV show ran for six years before coming to an end in 2003.
    And now the blood-sucking series could be heading back to the big screen with a brand new vampire slayer.
    Director Fran Rubel Kuzui, who directed the original film and executive produced the TV programme, owns the rights to the Buffy brand and is planning to reboot the franchise for cinemas, replacing Gellar and the rest of the cast with new actors to fight demons in a different generation.
    Kuzui tells the Hollywood Reporter, "Everything has its moment. Every movie takes on a life at some point, and this seems like the moment to do this."

5. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Funny thing is Minear and Greenwalt were the show runners of Angel. Whedon had almost no influence there until season 5. Which is one of the reasons I find season 5 to be kind of weak. Greenwalts influence was gone and the show started to go the way of Buffy. It was becoming completely nihilistic and all about Spike. It wasn't until they got word of non-renewal that they got their heads out of their asses and started to bring focus and purpose back to the show. Even Whedon admited this.

Marti Noxon is a stupid, degenerate bitch. That's not even open for debate. But Whedon enthusiatically supported every decision she made so the buck stops with him. And Firefly aired during Buffy season 6 not 7. Joss was head honcho for that one. Season 6 had some redeeming qualities. Not many but a few. Season 7 didn't have any as far as I can tell.

I clearly recognize I'm in the minority on that one.

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Firefly aired in Fall 2002, which corresponds to the first half of season 7.

Notice that Fillion and Torres got their roles on Buffy and Angel during the latter half of that year----during the time when Joss was trying to get Firefly picked up by another network and wanted his stars to have work in the meantime.

7. Theonethatis

Theonethatis Commander Red Shirt

I refuse to see this trash. No Joss, No way!!!!

8. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

True. But you have to remember many of the actors in Buffy and Angel were older to start with and are pushing now 40 or are way beyond it. Most tv stars never get big careers in the movies. Especially woman. So its not really a curse but the norm for Hollywood. Any of them would be lucky to land another tv show or a couple of movies at most. So its no surprise at all.

9. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Or:
    [​IMG]
    If you prefer Eliza.

10. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. This is pretty much going to be Weekend at Buffy's.

Sacrilege.

11. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Complain incessantly of course... this is the internet, you know! ;)

But yeah, this is one of the dumbest ideas in a long, sad history of dumb ideas. A Buffy reboot is ridiculous enough, but to do it without any involvement from Whedon is just insulting. And as if that weren't enough, this is being spearheaded by the inept people who completely botched the original Buffy movie. No thanks.

It's mind-boggling that the Kuzuis were able to maintain control of the franchise's film rights, but that's Hollywood for ya'. And her as for her comment "now being the moment to do this", translation: "Vampires are popular thanks to Twilight, reboots are popular thanks to Star Trek, so naturally, a reboot of a vampire franchise will be guaranteed to make us lots of money!" Ughhh. :rolleyes:

I just hope that there aren't any studios desperate or dumb enough to get behind this movie. One would also hope that, in a sensible world, the near-unanimous revulsion to this idea from fans would dissuade the Kuzuis and their potential backers from going forward with this... but we all know that this world is not a sensible one, especially not in the entertainment industry.

12. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

People who complain about Joss having cultists confuse me. I have yet to encounter anybody here, or in real life who slavishly follows anything Joss is involved with. If anything, most of the fans of his work I know have one favorite show, and dismiss the rest.

Compare to this the vast number of people who worship George Lucas, and cream themselves over anything SW related. I seem to recall there being a massive outcry of SW fans around the time Serenity was released simply because Firefly fans dared to believe Serenity superior to the SW prequels.

While I agree that Joss probably gets more credit than he deserves (as does Lucas for the first Star Wars), he at least has shown talent to create believable universes and pick talented people to head his shows (unlike Lucas).

13. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, please can we not turn this into another constant back and forth I hate/love Joss Whedon thread, please gods
    Because if that fuckwits like that 3DMasterbator guy comes in here it may as well be locked

That's what annoys me, "a different generation"
    With Star Trek TOS yes, original: 1966-1969, reboot: 2009
    Fair to say that's a different generation

Whereas Buffy: 1997-2003, reboot: 2010/11?
    Wow, what a massive generational gap there. A whole seven years! :eek:

As for Marti Noxon, anyone who writes episodes such as What's My Line Pts 1 & 2, Surprise, Bewitched, Bothered, & Bewildered, I Only Have Eyes For You, The Wish, Consequences, The Prom, Wild at Heart, New Moon Rising, Buffy vs. Dracula, Into the Woods, Forever, and Villains is ok in my book

14. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure I see this working on any level. Even the TV show seemed to outlive its welcome.

As for Gellar, I was never a fan of hers or of the show itself, but she seemed to have enough of a presence to suggest she could have done well in films. Why that didn't happen, I don't know.

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Well that long has to be at least 2 chav generations, doesn't it?

16. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Agreed!

Remember that denial is the first stage of grief. :devil:

18. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No kidding -- it's way too early to start talking about a reboot/reimagining of BTVS when the show itself has been off the air for only six years (as of now). Plus it still has the official comic continuation that Joss is doing (which may not exactly be mainstream, but since it is for all intents and purposes canonical, it means, at least to me, that the existing BTVS property is still an active and viable one).

I might be open to the idea of some sort of Buffy revival in the future, but not anytime soon... and definitely not with the Kuzuis at the helm.

19. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Fair enough. I have horrible TV memory.

But I still think Marti Noxious sucks as a show runner.

The thing is, Star Wars fans admit George Lucas's faults. Whedon fans usually refuse to admit he has any. Star Wars fans actually have moderate and casual fans. Whedon fans - especially Internet Whedon fans - tend to be pretty hardcore.

Granted, you guys have calmed down considerbly since his shows were off the air and his last couple of projects bit the dust. But you people were bitshit crazy for the longest time and deserved the bad reputation you got from it. Board Wars. Flame wars. Internet bullying. Defending every bad creative decision he made like it was Biblical Scripture. Refusing to admit that he has any faults. Circulating shit like The Spike/Dawn rape fanfic. From all the crap I and other Whedon cynics got from you people, I don't feel the least bit sorry that you guys have such a bad reputation. Because it's completely deserved.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Ever wonder if you might be getting a rep of your own with this incessant mono-posting you've been doing?