TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old November 1 2014, 10:22 PM   #466
Warped9
Admiral

Re: TOS in the 29th century...

When you're laying out decks for these things--especially when you have weird shapes like this secondary hull--you can't avoid wierd shaped rooms and left over spaces where you're left wondering: what the hell could possibly go in there? It's totally impractical (too wierd and/or too small) to be used as an actual room. WTF!!

Last edited by Warped9; November 2 2014 at 04:46 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2014, 02:38 AM   #467
LordSarvain
Lieutenant Commander

Damage control lockers
Old November 2 2014, 08:15 AM   #468
B.J.
Rear Admiral

If you've ever taken a tour of a battleship or other large navy vessel, you'll see weirdly shaped rooms everywhere!
Old November 2 2014, 06:39 PM   #469
BK613
Captain

^Exactly. I'm sure even in the 29th century they'll need various storage tanks, equipment nodes (comms. networking, a/c, plumbing), etc.
Old November 6 2014, 05:13 PM   #470
Warped9
Admiral

Okay, so here you can see where the warp nacelle access lift, alongside the main power conduit (smaller tube forward of the lift shaft) intersects the secondary hull on Deck 17. By good fortune the lift shaft intersects the main hull right at (or very near exactly) at deck level and in a less frequented part of the ship. There is a small room at the top of the shaft crammed with status and diagnostic boards and equipment. Generally this status/service room (and the shaft itself) is not accessed during normal operations. It is possible to go beyond the status room into the nacelle proper, but only when the warp engines are shut down. Also the nacelles are not environmentally controlled like the rest of the ship so the status room also serves as a sort of airlock where EVA gear is required to proceed into the nacelle.

The pylon access lift is a small and short cylindrical pod that can hold up to four people if necessary. The occupants are seated as the lift has a ceiling only a bit over 5ft.
Old November 7 2014, 01:50 AM   #471
Warped9
Admiral

This model is the most complex thing I've ever done. It's one thing to design the exterior of a ship even while trying to take correct scale into account. It's something else to layout it out deck-by-deck and trying to make everything that goes into it (well, as much as I can think of) fit all together. I'm gratified with how it's turning out even though I know of mistakes along the way.
Old November 7 2014, 07:58 AM   #472
fireproof78
Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
When you're laying out decks for these things--especially when you have weird shapes like this secondary hull--you can't avoid wierd shaped rooms and left over spaces where you're left wondering: what the hell could possibly go in there? It's totally impractical (too wierd and/or too small) to be used as an actual room. WTF!!
Not to derail (too much) bu I used to run in to this all the time when constructing space ships out of Legos. There would also be useless spaces, or odd shapes that would just be there. I hated it, so I always worked in either storage rooms, emergency supplies, or access to otherwise inaccessible parts.

Or, if most naval vessels are to be believed, that is where the illegal distillery goes

This is my first post in this thread, and I have to say, for such a large project, it looks fantastic. I don't have anything else to add except keep up the good work
fireproof78 is offline   Reply With Quote