2016 Ships of the Line Calendar Contest?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ptrope, Aug 12, 2014.

?

How do you feel about the 2016 Ships of the Line Design Contest rules?

Poll closed Aug 22, 2014.
  1. I plan to enter the contest with an original design - I'm fine with the rules as they are

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. I plan to enter the contest with an original design if they get the format rules straightened out

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. I want to enter the contest, but I don't want to give up the rights to my original design

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I plan to enter the contest, but only with an existing ship design

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. I don't plan to enter the contest, but I think the rules need to be straightened out

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. I don't plan to enter the contest, so the rules don't really matter to me

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. Send me 52 weeks of Time and bill me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I've already submitted an older thing I'd made out of edits of the Eaglemoss models, but the resolution requirement is so huge (understandably so) it looks a bit crappy. Thats why I went and made another entry that was CG. I guess I could submit another one or two in the time left.

BTW Ptrope, I've just been exporting lower quality Jpegs out of photoshop. Usually around level 4 on the quality slider keeps them just under 5MB, and they don't look bad at all.

2. Fuzzy Modem

Fuzzy Modem Commander Red Shirt

I'll be entering my Excelsior-A...

[​IMG]
    ...with a fleet of cloaked Klingon Birds of Prey on approach, barely given away by optical distortion, the displacement of nebular gas, and the faintest bit of engine glow. I'm talking not even noticeable at first glance. How many are there? You may never find them all! Should make for a months worth of fun :)

3. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dude, I'll only have 31 days at most! Less if you get February! :rofl:

That's very very pretty.

4. Tallguy

This just in from Mr. Drexler:

5. Fuzzy Modem

Hmmm... maybe I should pick a different name with an unknown class... http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Federation_starships

I could use some help coming up with one that's been mentioned but not seen...

[edit]
    Okay, I think I can keep the name Excelsior-A if I assign her a class name that's been mentioned but not seen. Here are a list of possibilities collected from http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org of course, more research must be done before selecting, but any of these not work for reasons you know of?

Rigel General description
    The Rigel class is a more recent design on which no further information is available.

Known ships
    USS Akagi NCC-62158
    USS Tolstoy NCC-62095
    Annotations
    According to our newest information the Rigel-class Tolstoy was not visible at all in TNG:

"Best of Both Worlds" and only made up for the dialogue, since the producers thought the

name "USS Chekov" from the script might sound too cute. The class name Rigel is from the

Star Trek Encyclopedia. Any depiction of the Rigel that may be encountered on other

websites has to be wrong.

-

Sequoia General description
    Nothing is known about this ship class, however, it appears to be a newer design. Known

ships
    USS Yellowstone NCC-70073
    Annotations
    1) No ship of the class ever appeared on screen. The class name was brought up in the Star

Trek Encyclopedia. The USS Yellowstone was mentioned in DS9: "Melora".
    2) The runabout prototype designation as USS Yellowstone in the parallel reality (VOY:

"Non Sequitur") is in conflict with the Sequoia-class ship of the same name, unless

Runabouts are named independently of larger starships. This is improbable considering the

NCC registry system common to both types.

-

Andromeda General description
    The Andromeda class is a recent starship design. Ships of this class are in production as of

the 2360's. Known ships
    USS Drake NCC-70956
    USS Prokofiev NCC-68814
    Annotations
    1) No ship of this class was ever visible. The class name Andromeda is from the Star Trek

Encyclopedia.
    2) Probably the Andromeda-class Drake was commissioned just after the Wambundu-class

Drake had been destroyed by the automatic defense system (TNG: "Arsenal of Freedom") in

2364. Given that the registry perfectly corresponds with this date, this is one more sign that

ships are chronologically numbered. Class specifications
    None available

-

Apollo General description
    The Apollo class is a starship design from the beginning of the 24th century, according to

the known registries. Known ships
    USS Agamemnon NCC-11638
    USS Ajax NCC-11574
    USS Clement NCC-12537
    USS Gage NCC-11672
    Annotations
    1) The Vulcan ship T'Pau NSP-17938 from TNG: "Unification" is listed as Apollo class in

the Star Trek Encyclopedia II, but the class is neither confirmed in the Star Trek Fact Files

T'Pau issue nor anywhere else. Considering the T'Pau does not look like a Starfleet ship at

all, the Apollo class is arguably a still unknown design.
    2) The Apollo-class USS Gage is the only unidentified among the six ships from DS9:

"Emissary". I'm inclined to say that there is probably no model of it, and the name is only

mentioned in a previous version of the script. Class specifications
    None available

-

Bradbury General description
    The NX number of the Bradbury indicates that it is an experimental ship or a class lead ship.

The ship may have been commissioned around 2366. Known ships
    USS Bradbury NX-72307
    Annotations
    No ship of this class was ever visible. Class specifications
    None available

-

Chimera General description
    Nothing is known about this class which seems to be a newer design. Known ships
    USS Portland NCC-57418
    Annotations
    No ship of this class was ever visible. The class name Chimera is from the Star Trek

Encyclopedia. Class specifications
    None available

-

Korolev General description
    The Korolev class appears to be a newer design, as indicated by the Goddard's registry.

Known ships
    USS Goddard NCC-59621
    Annotations
    No ship of this class was ever visible. Class specifications
    None available

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  6. Fuzzy Modem

I'm leaning toward Bradbury class. Research shows non-canon info that places it's design lineage as a predecessor to both the Intrepid and Sovereign, which seems to fit. Also, Ray Bradbury!

Feel free to use the others yourself ;)

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ahh guess my lil tug wont be accepted then =/

Oh well's at least someone there hopefully enjoyed it anyways :)

8. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Good idea to track down ship names and classes that can be confirmed as being mentioned but never seen onscreen - I might use one of them to name a Crossbow-class ship so I can use the design. I wonder how they feel about ships that have been both mentioned and seen, but as a different design, because I'd really love to put the Leif Ericson-based Bonaventure up there :D.

In the meantime, I just submitted my first entry, which I showed the thumbnail of; to my delight and surprise, I was able to optimize the export to just slightly under 5 Mb without compromising the image visibly - it might be a little less saturated and a little softer than the original, but definitely good enough to judge (I hope!) Biggest piece of art I've ever done! :D

9. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey Ptrope, I was wondering. I know that A USS Pike was mentioned in the Prime continuity, and I'm tempted to enter my ship. But she's a kind of a fusion JJ Prime Verse inspired design if said universe went to the 2280's. Is there someone I can contact about this? Or are the rules adamant that it has to be the Prime Universe?

Ex: If Mirror-U ships allowed, why isn't The alt-U allowed?

10. Fuzzy Modem

We have a winner! She'll be re-christened the USS Drake! (Andromeda Class)

During the brief Federation-Klingon War in 2373, the Drake and the USS Armstrong were ambushed by a Klingon battle group and both ships suffered heavy casualties before escaping to Deep Space 9. (DS9: "Apocalypse Rising")
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Drake_%282373%29

Ops calls Bashir to the infirmary to tend to passengers from the starships Armstrong and Drake. They were ambushed by Klingons and took heavy casualties.
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Rising_(episode)

According to the Star Trek Encyclopedia, this ship was an Andromeda-class starship, with the registry NCC-70956. It was the successor of the Wambundu-class USS Drake.
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Drake_(2373)

In 2373, the Drake was damaged after being ambushed by a Klingon battle group. (DS9: "Apocalypse Rising")
    http://stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Drake_(NCC-70956)

1) No ship of this class was ever visible.
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org

-
    I always thought she looked a bit like a dragon, especially from this angle: http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/bonus/big/perfect_fd_16rx.jpg :D

Which means the Bradbury class is back on the table ;)

11. Soran77

Soran77 Captain Captain

Here's what i'm going to enter, USS Griffin, Falcon Class

[​IMG]

12. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

A very sexy ship :techman:

13. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Here's my latest submission.

<image removed at poster's request>

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  14. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I somehow doubt they will be getting enough quality entries for their calendar. They should really clarify what ships they would like to see.

And that´s some serious resolution they are asking for - that requires really high end and very detailed models.

Certainly do-able with todays home PCs, but the amount of time that is required to do that in the established quality is considerable. And then you don´t even know if you´re going to be chosen - and even so, you get 500$? Wow...

I hope it is not going to be all one starship in front of a star background. What I like about the last calendars is that each image tried to tell you a story and very rarely was just a simple spaceship shot.

Oh well, we´ll see what the outcome will be. Best case - we get great new artists and artwork. Worst case - the end of the SotL calendar.

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Odd rules - I don't recall the "seen or mentioned" requirement in previous years, especially since almost every calendar has had some kind of non-canon fan-made design that had absolutely no reference anywhere in established Trek. Kind of a head-scratcher, honestly. :confused: :shrug:

16. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After all these years of seeing the TOS shuttle and Miranda class, of COURSE they'd wanna see more, right? :)

Mark

17. Tallguy

It will be interesting. Especially since they say they're not using artists they've used before. No pressure.

18. Fuzzy Modem

The cube looks smaller than the Defiant. I'd add a bit of nebular haze to establish distance.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

While I have a ship design I'd feel comfortable entering, there's no way I could come up with a composition that would be calendar worthy.

20. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Did we ever get it clarified if they get the rights to the ship design or just the image that is submitted?