Picture the Novelverse - Characters, Ships and More !

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Relayer1, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I think so.

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Thanks for posting the trailer and the translation, Jinn! :techman:

(Something odd just came to mind... if Cross Cult is a German company, why is their name in English?)

3. Jinn

Because the germantranslation for "Cross Cult" would be something like "Kreuz Kult" which sounds really strange (which can be proven here by the google translate voice talk thingy). Also englisch names in general are on average 16,8 percent cooler than german names.

nightwind1, Avro Arrow and Idran like this.
  4. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Is it not a case in Germany that using English names is actually seen as being trendy and hip and modern? I seem to recall a few years ago Deutsch Bahn got in trouble for using more and more English terms throughout the railway network rather than the native German term.

5. Jinn

Yeah, I forgot about that.
    I can't remember that, however I am not really a frequent train/tram/bus/whatever user as they are way to unpunctual and I prefer my bike.

6. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

If my eyebrows could be raised any higher they would be in Earth orbit. The stereotype is that only the Swiss are more punctual than the Germans. :)

Here is an article on DB telling staff not to use 2200 English words:
    http://www.economist.com/news/business/21580180-willkommen-linguistic-purity-no-denglisch

7. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Kreuz-Kult sounds almost neo-fascist.

And yes, I remember the Bahn debacle. Denglish had been on an unabated rise back then. It's more of a mixed bag now.

8. Jinn

That is pretty amazing.

That is pretty ridiculous
    My favorite part::
    English is more modern and younger as it is 4 centuries younger. Ok, comparing the oldest forms of two languages might just not be the best way to compare how modern they are but still, what is wrong with saying flyer instead of "papillon". What even is a "papillon". I have never heard this word in my entire life.. Hell, at this point at least 10% of the words I use in my daily life are either english or denglisch including the word "denglisch" with I use to describe my first and second period English lessons in combination with third period German lesson on Tuesdays (and the other way around on Wednesdays). Where was I...

I asked Cross Cult on theirfacebook page and they said:
    "Die Idee dahinter war eine Abkürzung von "Cross Culture" – also "kulturenübergreifend" … wir veröffentlichen populäre Themen aus aller Welt, von Künstlern und Autoren verschiedenster Herkunft und in verschiedensten Genres … auf deutsch hätte das dann "Kultur Brücke" oder so geheissen, was ja nicht gerade gut klingt."

"The Idea behind that was a abbreviation of "Cross Culture"... We publish popular themes from all over the world, from artists and authors who have different places of origin and work in most different genres.... In german that would be something like "Kultur Brücke" [Cultur Bridge? means something like Cross Culture I guess], which doesn't exactly sound good.

Markonian, Avro Arrow and Csalem like this.
  9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

French for "butterfly." Also a breed of toy spaniel with ears that resemble butterfly wings.

David cgc likes this.
  10. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

A
    Also apparently Italian for "bow tie"

Not attested as a native German word in any source I can access. My sources suggest that either "broschüre" (brochure, booklet, leaflet, pamphlet or folder), "flugblatt" (leaflet, broadsheet, flier, handbill, handout or pamphlet) or "handzettel" (handout/handbill or leaflet) would have been more appropriate Germanophone terms.

After re-reading the article, the examples are from the equivalent French body (so make sense in that context), none of the 2,000 Anglicianisms are actually given translated examples for German).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  11. Jinn

Ahh that makes sense.. However I still didn't know the word after five (teribble) years of lerning French.

12. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Going back to the trailer, between the awesome covers and this, I'm honestly a little jealous of the German Treklit audience. :p

It did remind me, though, that one of the Myriad Universes volumes had some pretty neat fan trailers created for it too. Even setting aside official ones, I'm wondering if there are any other fan trailers out there for Treklit?

(Linking said trailers: A Less Perfect Union, Places of Exile, Seeds of Dissent)

Jinn likes this.
  13. Jinn

Well there is an intro sequence for Destiny, a trailer and an intro for Titan (None of these are as good as the MU ones). I am a bit suprised to see no trailer for Vanguard.

Idran likes this.
  14. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Just between you, me, and the rest of the forum, I actually made the U.S.S. Sagittarius model I posted up-thread because I wanted to make an opening credits sequence for "Seekers." I roughed out the animation, but I've put it aside for the moment for various practical reasons (for one thing, there's a ton of modeling and effects to do. Surging storm clouds, planetary rings being scattered by shields, abandoned cities and under-construction starbases...). Maybe since there aren't any more books on the drawing board for a while, I'll have it done before 5/6 come out. (Or, with my luck, there'll be a corresponding time-skip, so I'll have to start over on a TMP-era update :p)

Of course, when I started, I hoped to have the model and and animation done before the first "Seekers" novel came out, so maybe I should stop making estimates about time.

Idran and Markonian like this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Somebody also put together a trailer for the DS9R between Warpath and Feaful Symmetry. I had an idea for a video to do for the overall book line, but I don't have easy access to the clips or video editor program I'd need to make it.

Idran likes this.
  16. David cgc

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, that's neat. More symbolic than literal, as you say, but a clever concept.

Markonian and David cgc like this.
  18. David cgc

Glad you like it!

I tend to like the more artsy CGI-spaceship covers in the Trek line (has anyone mentioned recently that Takedown's art is excellent, because it's still amazing), and one of my goals producing so much work on such a quick schedule is to encourage me to stretch my wings and try out different ideas than I would normally.

Markonian and Idran like this.
  19. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very cool. That's just their three standalone covers turned into one wraparound image isn't it?