Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's basically the Secret Avengers costume from the comics with a helmet.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as they don't pull out the photonic energy shield just yet I think we can keep complaints at bay. I don't personally hate it but I'm not sure how well loved it is or if it really fits the character. Always felt "too techy" on him.

I think it first appeared in the late 90's(Mark Waid run?), pre Heroes Reborn but I may be off, then went away when they did HR and stayed gone till Steve was just playing the role Captain Rogers under SHIELD.
    It has made an appearance on the animated show and versions of it being wielded by other MCU characters has also happened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah it showed up in the pre-Heroes reborn continuity I think when he was "on the run" from the government with Sharon Carter in some kinda "Cap without a Country" storyline. I think that was the first time we saw an energy shield. Although I do believe USAgent used an energy shield similar to it before in the old Force Works comic

Then actually not too long after Heroes Reborn - Cap lost his original SHIELD in the ocean fighting someone, so he actually went back to using a replica of his original triangular shield for a while, but then subsequently after that turned out to be a real POS, he started using the energy shield pictured in the cover above until Rhodey salvaged his shield from the bottom of the ocean - this was after Rhodey stopped being War Machine for all of like a couple of years and got into Marine salvage (WTF lol) THEN Cap's shield disintegrated because of some Vibranium flaw in the shield, which actually subsequently caused ALL Vibranium to go wonky and start to like randomly explode on contact. Which all went back to a time at the end of the original Secret War comic in the mid 80s - when Cap's shield was busted up somehow, he used some kind of "good thoughts machine" that let him recreate the shield from the parts - but that machine put in some kind of flaw by accident which took years to show itself - they like blew up a mountain of Vibranium and focused KLAW's energy into the parts of the shield and somehow it magically repaired itself.

Then obviously when Cap "died" and Bucky became Cap and took the shield - Steve let him keep it and just used the old energy shield because well, hey dude needs his shield I guess. And... of course said shield was destroyed... again. In the Fear Itself storyline- and then Tony Stark reforged it with some Uru the Asgardians had lying around and now it's stronger than ever alledgedly but it still had a big ass scar on the front which Cap said 'keep there, gives the old girl some character' - a big ass scar on the disk which like NO ONE remembered to pencil in. So... yeah that's more than anyone needs to know about Cap's shields.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And of course the shield has been destroyed once again in Age of Ultron.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It's nothing novel - it's done over and over.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

7. Turtletrekker

Evans and ScarJo on set.

I gotta say, that doesn't look like a Captain America suit. It looks more like the Comander Rogers (currently worn by Nick Fury Jr.) or Captain (currently worn by US Agent) suit.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yeah, it does look like a hybrid of the traditional outfit and the more recent "Steve Rogers" costume. Interesting idea. (It wouldn't be the first time something like that's been done. In Batman and Robin, Robin's costume was based more on Nightwing's look.)

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

So the concept art was true. I like the darker blue.The Avenger's suit look cheesy with the light blue.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

He's wearing the Heroic Age Era suit?!?! There's no red in it!

11. Turtletrekker

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The link goes back to the Trek BBS main page. :(

13. Turtletrekker

WTF?:wtf: That's the 2nd time I've done that in a couple days. Should be fixed.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

There we go. Cool! I wonder what happens to Fury...

15. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I just know that the flamingo and the gnome figure prominently in the story somehow.

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Gnomes are deadly. I noticed she is palming one in her hand in an attempt to control him.

17. Turtletrekker

Interview with Anthony Mackey. Mostly he talks about "Pain and Gain", but talks a little about "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" as well--

18. Turtletrekker

Cap, Natasha and Agent Jasper Sitwell on the set!

It looks like Cap (and Natasha) will have something of an adversarial relationship with S.H.I.E.L.D. in this movie. I can see Cap not trusting S.H.I.E.L.D. completely given what he discovered in Avengers, but it also looks like Natasha will be more "Avenger" than "Agent" as well. If movie Natasha's connection to Bucky is anything like her comics counterpart, I can see her siding with Cap if S.H.I.E.L.D. were to decide to take him down.

Nice to see Sitwell getting more screen time now that Coulson is "dead". As much as I like Coulson, it always struck me as odd that they created a new character rather than use an established one like Sitwell.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those are some pretty interesting photos. Definitely looks like things aren't going well with SHEILD there.

I didn't know Sitwell was a comic book character.

20. Turtletrekker

Yup. Created by Lee and Kirby themselves, no less.

Bear in mind that the movie Sitwell, as played by Maximiliano Hernández, looks nothing like his comics counterpart.