Woman shot following Walking Dead argument

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by the G-man, Dec 5, 2012.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cops: Man shoots girlfriend over 'Walking Dead' argument

• A Williston Park man who police said shot his girlfriend in the back with a rifle Monday after a heated argument over the television show "The Walking Dead" told authorities he was annoyed that she came to his apartment to smooth things over.

In a statement to police, Jared M. Gurman, 26, said he told his girlfriend, Jessica Gelderman, 27, also of Williston Park, to leave.

Gurman and Gelderman, who had been dating for 3 1/2 years, went out Sunday night when they began arguing about the show, an AMC thriller featuring zombies in a post-apocalyptic world, [Nassau Det. Lt. Raymond Cote] said.

"I just know that he felt very adamant that there could be some type of military mishap that would result in some sort of virus or something being released that could cause terrible things to happen," Cote said.

Gelderman, Cote said, thought her boyfriend's belief was absurd.

"She felt that it was ridiculous," Cote said.

Later, the two continued arguing through text messages, Cote said. Gelderman became concerned because Gurman had become so agitated, police said, and went to his apartment to try and calm him down.

When Gelderman showed up, Gurman told police he was sitting on the stairs holding his rifle.

"She tried to defuse the situation and calm him down and told him, 'Let's just go to bed,'" Cote said.

Gurman pointed the rifle and fired one round into the middle of Gelderman's back as she climbed the stairs, police said.

The most unbelievable part of this whole story is that this guy had a girlfriend to begin with...

2. Trekker82

Trekker82 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Personally, I am a pro-gun person but when I read stories like this, it makes me want to side with the anti-gun people for a moment. However if guns were outlawed this story would be the same with the only difference in choice of weapon.

I take it the woman survived?

3. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed, that IS a mystery. Whatever happened to "It's just a TV show?" :wtf:

4. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently you missed some of the "knock down drag out arguments," in the Star Trek X thread about blue warp nacells? ;)

Oh and lets not forget B5 v. DS9 and of course does Enterprise suck or not? :)

But seriously, I agree - it's incomprehensible that anyone could get so upset over a TV show as to shoot someone, especially a girl friend. :wtf:

I bet if we knew more background on this man he's had prior domestic abuse problems.

5. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

americans might have a right to guns, but the founding fathers didn't put the right to ammunition in the constitution.

a simple solution emerges. would never happen though.

6. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

This is one of those situations where it has to be a lot deeper than just a TV show. That a journalist tries to pick something sensational for people to latch onto is nothing new.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Or arguments over a "0" on a fantasy space ship

8. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say so. I'd also go further by saying he's probably never had someone to show him how it feels, like Ed did when Shane beat the hell out of him.

9. DarthTom

Yep. 15 million + fans who gobble up any news related to the series. It earned itself a spot on drudge and other news sites because they slapped on the title, "Walking Dead," to the leader of the story.

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That legal argument is barely worth the :rolleyes: graemlin.

11. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

What did this have to do with the show again? Aside from just being the catalyst (only one of many, I'm sure) that got a fucked up gun nut to go ranting about the government?

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

G-man. yeah its not a good arguement, but the statistics for gun related crimes of usa v other countries show that americans can't be trusted with guns.

13. DarthTom

Oh really. Columbia, El Salvador, Jamaica, Honduras, Guatemala, Swaziland, Brazil, Panama and Mexico all exceed our gun violence.

Wiki

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Getting rid of legal guns will mean only the Criminals will have guns. In an Eastern State, they recently passed a Conceal carry law, and Gun crimes have dropped way down. And before you get the wrong impression, I don't like guns, and will not allow in my house, but, blaming guns for violence that people do isn't rational. Truth be told, if someone's gonna murder me, I'd rather be shot throgh the head or heart, than beaten with a baseball bat or knifed 10 or 20 times. At least the gun shot would kill ya pretty quick, I can't imagine the horror and torture of being beaten to death with a baseball bat

I Can't believe anyone can actually believe this happened because of guns being legal. If he didn't have a gun, you really think this freak wouldn't have used a knife, a baseball bat or other weapon?

This guy was disturbed, either insane a meth head or an abusive alcoholic.

15. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i think getting rid of guns would have to help. i mean it must take a bit more effort to go up to someone and physically attack them with the chance they could defend themselves, grapple your weapon off you, etc compared to pulling a trigger.

i know if someones determined to kill they still will, but there'd be a lot less innocent victims with driveby knifings or self-inflicted woundings from forgetting the safety on your baseball bat.

and i hadnt seen stats for those other countries, just v responsible european ones. so oops i concede that point.

16. DarthTom

Assuming you're right that doesn't change:

1. You cannot un-ring the bell - approx 350 million firearms exist in the US today and many of the owners of those won't let you take them out of their cold dead hands.

2. The US constitution will never be modified to limit/eliminate gun ownership.

3. The vast majority of gun owners are responsible and limiting / banning owership would never stop criminals from getting a gun.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You DO know that criminals don't follow laws, right? And that if guns were outlawed or more restricted to people the only people who won't have them are people who follow laws. Criminals will still get them.

So, we'll live in a country where only criminals and the government and it's officials have guns. Yeah, count me in on that.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Best defense: "I thought she was Shane." Or alternatively "She was arguing in favor of fast zombies."

(BTW, this site is insufferable on mobile Safari. Video popup ads, really?)

They always do, it's the bane of us decent folk who have so much trouble.

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

well in the uk we dont have easy or legal access to firearms. same as a lot of countries. the whole 'only criminals would have guns boo hoo i gotta protect myself against them' arguement just doesnt wash with me. sure theres a lot of crime. very little involves guns.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

But, is it not true that only criminals and the police have guns where you live? Does that not give you some degree of concern?