IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I don't think the Jaylah (sp?) character--who seems clearly female--will be "relegated" in that manner. Also seems I saw Uhura throwing some punches/blows, non? And the female admiral doesn't strike me as the June Cleaver type either.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jaylah is the high profile female guest so she should do well. I fully expect most of Uhura's character driven dialogue to revolve around Spock, although in a fish out of water storyline, this should give her a good opportunity to shine, so she might do well. I didn't know about a female admiral character but it gets a big thumbs up from me. That's still only 3 women in a movie that has 7 surviving recurring male protagonists though. The key is what's going on outside the female leads.

My issue with NuTrek tends to be its wider sexism. That, if you strip out male and female characters one for one, you very quickly (before you've even stripped out the seven surviving recurring male characters) hit female characters whose principal purpose in the story is as a wife, mother, or love interest, you usually hit women who have one line in one scene very quickly, and you will usually run out of women altogether before you've used up your principal male guest characters.

The acid tests for me will be:
    - Are there only all-male security teams? (epic fail)
    - Is there a single woman in a security team of four or more? Are the numbers of women bolstered by all those women in sick bay (fail)
    - Are there an equal number of male and female security officers, engineers, scientists, command officers, and medics as background characters and do the men and women get roughly equal dialogue. (success!)
    - Are there any all-female security teams? (epic success - but only due to re-balancing 50 years of predominantly all-male teams).

In its defence, the IDW comic has had its moments. In one issue, the security team consisted of Yeoman Rand and Lt Zahra but that has been a one-off. Having a recurring female security officer is a step in the right direction but it smacks of tokenism if every other officer you draw alongside her is a man.

Idran and borgboy like this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If by female admiral, you're referring to Shoreh Aghdashloo's character, she's the "High Command of the Federation", which sounds like she's the person in charge of all of Starfleet, so she's a little more than just an admire.

4. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love her in the Expanse! I've only just finished watching it and, apart from the odd moment in the first few episodes, where the miners seem to be predominantly male, and the final episode where the escapees divide so that only a single female remains, they've done a pretty decent job of putting female characters on par with the men.

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

She's the best part of the show.

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Ah. Her position is not specified in the trailer and I assumed admiral as she sounds like she's speaking to Kirk from a position of authority above his.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't mentioned in the trailer, but they did talk about her role when they added her character in the reshoots.

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I thought Aghdashloo's character was the commander of the starbase the Enterprise will be at in the beginning of Beyond.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

She's at the starbase, but we don't know that she's its commander. I mean, if she's the head of all Starfleet, then she would be technically in charge of the starbase, right?

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  10. TalonCard

TalonCard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm catching up with this series thanks to the recent Humble Bundle, and I'm a little confused about the immediate pre-Into Darkness events. I also decided to check out the cutscenes for the 2013 Star Trek video game, as I'd heard that the storyline is in the comics and that it features the actors from the movies. But as far as I can tell:

Star Trek (video game): Ends with Pike ordering the Enterprise to Nibiru immediately following the events of the game.
    Countdown to Darkness (comic book): Ends with Pike ordering the Enterprise to Nibiru immediately following the events of the comic.
    Star Trek #31-32: I, Enterprise (comic book flashback): Is set shortly before Into Darkness, is an origin story for a character appearing in Into Darkness, mentions the events of Countdown to Darkness, and has Carol Marcus appears in the briefing room at one point. (?)

I guess the easiest explanation is that the Enterprise took an extended detour before finally arriving at Nibiru? That still leaves Carol Marcus, though. Or is there something I'm missing?

(And yes, if you feel the burning need to point out that this may just be an inconsistency in a comic series that has no relevance to its source material which is itself also only fiction with a long list of inconsistencies, etc, etc, you make take this as an invitation to do so if it makes you feel better.:hugegrin: )

TC

11. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

"High Command of the Federation" sounds like a really odd title to me. (Try "High Command of the United States", and what do you think?) It almost makes the Federation sound like a military dictatorship.

Oh, wait... the Federation is a humanitarian and peacekeeping armada. I guess it all kinda fits.

12. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

"I, Enterprise" contains a frame/flashback. We can fudge Marcus's presence that way.

About Nibiru: Maybe one of the two missions was an emergency that was squeezed in, or Kirk took some liberties, adding to his demotion in STID.

13. Christopher

The explanation I've seen is that the game came first, the ship was ordered to Nibiru, then the Phaedus mission came up and the ship was diverted before it reached Nibiru, and then it resumed its original orders after Phaedus. So the order is game, Countdown, STID.

And I didn't get the impression that "I, Enterprise" was immediately before STID, just sometime not long before it.

Markonian likes this.
  14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, after just reading the Manifest Destiny TP, I don't get it. What is so special about this story that it had to be its own thing rather than just another story arc in the Ongoing series?

15. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It pretty much has to be. There's a reference to "when April took over the computer" (complete with the little footnote-box reminding you that happened in "Countdown to Darkness).

16. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

Hard to believe next month is the final issue of this series and basically the end of the kelvin timeline

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  17. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

So what happens next? are they rebooting it? It feels like the power that be don't want to take the kevin timeline so seriously. they would not even give us the novels and now they are cancelling the monthly comics:sigh:

18. mattman8907

beats me. All I know is that in September IDW is coming out with a Bi-monthly limited comic series that is set in the TOS and TNG era.

19. Christopher

In comics these days, it is commonplace to "cancel" a series only to relaunch it with a new #1 a short while later. This is a way of providing jumping-on points for new readers who might be scared off by high issue numbers. So there's no reason to assume IDW is abandoning Kelvin comics for good.

Jinn likes this.
  20. mattman8907

well hopefully that will be the case.