your favourite moment of all time?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Dal Rassak, Feb 11, 2013.

1. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are so many, but three come to mind:

3. From "In The Pale Moonlight":

SISKO: " I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But most damning thing of all, I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would. Garak was right about one thing. A guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant, so I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it. Computer, erase that entire personal log."

2. From "Waltz":

SISKO: "I fear no evil. From now on, it's him or me!"

1. From "Call To Arms," the moment where the Defiant and Martok's ship join the combined Federation/Klingon fleet--the first time we see a fleet of ships and an absolutely superb musical cue that sends tingles up the spine...

[​IMG]

2. 4Cardassia

4Cardassia Ensign Newbie

My favorite moment of Deep Space Nine is, interestingly enough, its last. Without uttering a single word, the final scene of “What You Leave Behind” speaks volumes. In a visual callback to “The Visitor,” we see a lonely Jake gazing out a viewport above the busy promenade. The mouth of the wormhole opens in a burst of color and light (since no ships are visibly shown entering or exiting, could it be a message from his heavenly-ascended father?). As the camera begins to slowly pull away, Kira walks up behind him and extends a comforting arm, echoing a similar scene between Benjamin and Jake in the pilot. Jake and Kira have both lost the people dearest to them, so it is fitting that they should be the last characters shown in an episode entitled “What You Leave Behind.” With Kira’s arm around Jake, they then turn to stare out to the wormhole, which represents the barrier separating them from their loved ones. When a slow, bittersweet rendition of the show’s theme song begins to play, it invokes a feeling isolation and quiet dignity. The absence of ship activity around the station seems to suggest that after seven years of excitement, adventure, and turmoil, things are beginning to wind down again for this once remote frontier outpost. Zooming further out, we get the chance to take in the majestic beauty of the station one last time. I’m not sure I fully realized just how gorgeous this Cardassian monstrosity really was until I watched it slip from my grasp into the vastness of space.
    I couldn’t imagine a more perfect end to this amazing series. It’s so steeped in character background and allusions to past episodes that I can spend a considerable amount of time reflecting on this short, minute-long scene. Simply beautiful.

3. LiLiKitty

LiLiKitty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

One moment that had a kind of impact on me was from Til Death Do Us Part. After Weyoun wakes Damar up and Damar can't look at himself in the mirror.

The thing is, it's so cliched that it really shouldn't have worked. But Damar looked so lost and vulnerable in that moment that it actually made me worried about him even though I hadn't given the character a single thought before this. I became intensely interested in what was going to happen to him. Fortunately he had a great redemption story that grew from this moment.

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the boards, you two. :)

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Resist today, resist tomorrow.. resist until the last Dominion soldier has been driven from our soil!"

Excellent moment.

6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

This was great.

Another favorite of mine is in Improbable Cause.

The entire scene, beginning to end, where Odo is in a cave talking to his contact. We don't see his face but we hear his awesome voice. I love how the nodding of his head (we see his eyes) don't quite match to what he is saying, because it makes us feel more disconnected. Not only does this develop Odo as a character, but in this scene, the canvas for DS9 expands to epic proportions. It's now about the entire quadrant. It's an awesome scene

7. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Necessary Evil:

"PALLRA: I don't care what you think you know, shape-shifter. You will never be able to prove that I killed my husband, because I didn't.
    ODO: I know."

8. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Damar looking forward to Weyoun 9. Gold.

9. Dover

Dover Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That blew my mind the first time I saw it. Despite knowing by that point that DS9 was no TNG, I wasn't thinking far enough morally out-of-the-box to see that coming.

In fact while I enjoyed the backstory on Kira and Odo, and the fun they had with the film noir style, as I watched I was thinking the episode was rather predictable. I was like, "did they really expect me to believe for a moment that the first officer was actually the murderer?"

And then that final scene.

That was the last time I underestimated DS9's willingness to take the characters down the darker path.

10. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Garak: "Especially the lies"

Worf: "DEATH TO THE OPPOSITION!"

Or when Quark was about to be smothered to death. Rom saves him, and Odo lets him know that he's a hero, and he saved Quark. Rom then screams in horror as he won't get the bar after all, and Quark gives that sly smile, I love it. :lol:

11. moriluk

moriluk Ensign Red Shirt

I like it when Sisko gives the order to Garak to go through with the lie to the Romulans in order to get them to join the war. Very Machiavellian (but a bit anti-Roddenberry - I do not think he would have allowed such a thing to happen if he were alive and actively involved in the show).

12. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I love the moment at the end of "crossover" when mirror-Kira is giving those threats about what she's going to do to O'Brien and good-Kira, and the situation looks bad, and then mirror-Sisko intervenes, and say he hasn't lost his mind, he's just changed it.

13. Son of Quark

Son of Quark Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Siege of AR-558, the entire episode

Duet - Maritza was brilliantly acted by Harris Yulin

In the Pale Moonlight - Brilliantly writen and acted.

Odo and Quark together. They were excellent together. Rene and Armin were perfect together.

Those would be my favorites as I don't have just one

14. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Duet - Always gets me whan he breaks down at the end.

15. Son of Quark

Son of Quark Lieutenant Red Shirt

You aren't kidding. Such a powerful episode and performance.

16. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

How about the scene where Odo washes up onshore in Broken Link? Beautifully acted. I'm only sad they didn't use a take Rene Auberjonois mentioned where Odo sheds a tear. The whole thing is just done so well and tasteful. Odo is laying there, feeling his own chest and the look on his face, the wonder and fear. He's never felt a heartbeat before, or felt the "need" to breathe air. He has ribs and muscles. He's feeling things he never felt before. His body is a stranger.

Then Odo did this.

[​IMG]

What makes this moment stand out to me is Odo reaching towards the female Changeling. Unlike Michelangelo's art, she doesn't respond. She stands there, looking down at him as a representative of the judge and jury, and that's how we know Odo has truly been cast out of paradise.

17. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

My favourite dialogue is probably Worf/Sisko at the end of the Way of the Warrior. I just like how it's written.

Favourite battle scene is in the same episode as above. Call to Arms is a close second.

18. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

The scenes between Sisko and the lead Jem in "Rocks and Shoals" are among some of the best written stuff in Trek history.

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree.

that episode is slowly creeping up on me as my favorite Trek episode. The dialogue is remarkable good, yet not overwritten. These two characters really have some interesting things to say to each other. I really agree with you!

"It was not my life to give up captain, and it never was."

It's kind of tragic.