Buffy TVS to be (ugh) Rebooted

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It might be a trainwreck but it will be interesting to see what they do. Whedon got seven seasons of Buffy + five of Angel + comics so it's not like he got screwed exactly.

2. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am soooo gonna steal that. :)

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

That's awesome! :guffaw:
    I'm gonna steal it too!

4. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I've heard it referred to as a "rebootquel". I always liked that expression. :p

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, that's what The Incredible Hulk was. :mallory:

Which is why the perfect term is... relaunch! :p

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That's what 'requel' means. ;)
    Yep, TIH also falls under the requel category. And so, it would seem, will Aronofsky's upcoming The Wolverine.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm probably one of the biggest Buffy fans you'll find out there, and I've realized that I feel the same way about this new movie project that I do about the Glen A. Larsen/Bryan Singer Battlestar Galactica movie, in that I'm ultimately fine with it (the Buffy movie) going forward despite wishing that Joss was going to be involved; IOW, I'm going to give it a shot and keep an open mind, and not condemn it (the Buffy movie project) just because it doesn't have 'The Joss' attached to it.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see no reason to get bent out of shape about Hollywood doing what Hollywood does, but I'm not likely to "give it a shot" simply because the word "Buffy" is in the title. The question is, if this were a generic vampire movie made by a few no-names would I pay money to see it? I'll let you know if and when it's ever produced and there's at least some publicity materials to judge by.

I doubt this will actually get made, BTW. Warners is fronting this production company some money to develop a script, and the producers have gone cheap on that score. That's a long way from a green light.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ In fact, Joss's first word on the subject of the Kuzuis wanting to do a reboot was back in June of last year:

11. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Since the manner in which Star Trek was rebooted is so unique, I prefer to qualify it as a "time travel reboot." It uses an in-universe explanation to divorce itself from the earlier continuity. That way, they avoid a bunch of sticky "canon" questions but are still prevented from doing anything too crazy, like gender swapping any of the characters ala Battlestar Galactica.

I say we take Joss' career full circle to where it was back in the 1990s. The Kuzuis get someone else to write the script, then they send it out to Joss for a quick joke pass.;)

Yeah! I'm really bummed that wasn't made. The short test cartoon on Youtube is awesome!

Yes to the 2nd question. Some other examples of that type of loose sequel would include the 2008 Incredible Hulk movie, Dean Devlin's proposed Stargate II that would totally ignore the TV shows, and the 2007 CGI TMNT movie (a film so thoroughly agnostic in its continuity that there's even a strategically placed crack in the ooze cannister to obscure whether the company that made it was "TCRI" or "TGRI":eek:).

Alternatively, if this must be a Buffy origin story, I think it would be preferable to make this a vastly different Buffy origin story instead of redoing the Lothos stuff from the 1992 film.

It's possible. However, if so, they have not yet indicated how. And there's only so far that you can change Buffy the Vampire Slayer before it starts to not make sense anymore. Right in the name you have a pretty distinct identity. The whole point of making a vampire movie where the hero's name is Buffy is to subvert the usual conventions of vampire movies. You can't do a standard "dark, gritty, realistic (TM)" reboot of Buffy because it's the absolute antithesis of what Buffy is.

There's a very rare breed of characters in our culture that can be reinterpreted in a bunch of totally opposing ways that are all equally valid. Batman & Sherlock Holmes are the two big ones I can think of at the moment. But Buffy Summers is certainly not one of them.

Generally, there are only 4 good reasons to remake something:
    1. Major narrative changes.
    2. Major stylistic changes.
    3. Great advancements in modern production values that make the original quaint by comparison.

In the case of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, they've made no indications about what their plans are for #1. I've already explained why I don't think there could any good way to accomplish #2. And I don't think 1992 is long enough ago to really merit #3. At the very least, there are still some 1980s relics that should be further ahead in line than Buffy. (Whatever happened to those proposed remakes of Escape from New York, Highlander, & The Monster Squad? Where's the big screen CGI Care Bears?)

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really loved the Buffy The Vampire Slayer Animated series test that is up on youtube. I think it would have been a really great series. I think that Jeph Loep said there were a handful of episodes actually scripted.

13. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I still think this is a pretty lame idea. But I was thinking earlier, if it's essentially just a remake of the original movie, but done in a more serious, darker tone (ie more of what Joss did have in mind) then it could be ok.

That's how I'd prefer to have it anyway. An origin story of Buffy as an LA teen, slightly airheady with her shallow friends, getting called and being a Slayer for the first time, her first Watcher etc. And sticking to the whole original concept of the turnaround of the old horror movie conceipt of a monster hunting down a blonde teenage girl, and then said girl killing it.

If it was just that I'll admit it could be a pretty good movie. As then there wouldn't be any need for a Sunnydale, or a Willow, or a Xander, or a Spike, etc, and it wouldn't feel so much like it was crapping on the TV show, which is I think to be fair what a lot of fans fear.

My only worry though is that to try and cash in on the Twilight craze they'll incoporate Angel somehow. It'd be bad enough recasting SMG, but I'd rather not see Boreanaz shafted as well tbh.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus in ENT still happened in the Abramsverse.

16. Too Much Fun

I can just imagine how cool it's going to be to live in a world where people say, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is a just a shitty "Twilight" rip-off" and THEY'RE RIGHT. :eek:

17. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    How in the hell would THAT be cool?!?

It tarnishes the memory and legacy of the REAL Buffy and THAT aint cool!!!

:eek:

18. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That may be sarcasm on Too Much Fun's part.

19. Too Much Fun

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest