The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

YOu simply can never go back--what made originals appealing were due to a combination of factors unique to a certain point in time and in the viewers' lives. That is why so many resurrections/reboots fail. Viewers think they would love an old show to come back or have a reunion but it never is the same and they are left feeling like it would have been better just to leave the series dead and have that pining but it never being fulfilled.

It also doesn't help that they usually just have the old cast as props and not the focus.

2. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

True.

Everything is better in retrospect. I remember watching the A-Team in the mid 1980s and being absolutely glued to the screen.

Now I see reruns and I spend half my time cringing. After 20 years have passed, you remember a tv shows great moments that might've occurred every two or three episodes. You forget that there were about 90 minutes of crap that you quickly forgot in between.

In regards to Dallas, for every "Who shot J.R." there was also a "Bobby in the shower".

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I was deemed too young to watch Dallas when it was originally on, so this is all pretty new to me (though I'm certainly not ignorant of cultural touchstones like "Who Shot J.R.?" and "Bobby in the shower"). The previews look pretty good, so I'm going to give this a shot.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't watch Dallas much when I was a kid, though I distinctly remember "Who Shot J.R."-mania overtaking my school when I was in sixth grade.

5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Wow... I was about two months old when J.R. was shot, so I guess I wouldn't remember. :p

6. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    It was Maggie Simpson

7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I watched most of the original, except the last couple seasons.

Figured I'd give this one a shot, pretty much based on nostalgia.

So far, pretty good. Not original series great, but good.

Just enough mix of the old cast and the new ones don't do too bad.

I'll keep watching.

Also, Linda Grey has aged pretty well, Charlene Tilton, not so much.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I just got home. Have to catch the repeat...

Edit: Caught the final scene when JR meets Marta. Tells me all I need to know.

9. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll keep watching. The end of the first half was what sucked me in.

Now, time to start the theorizing.:devil:

Since they are letting the originals take a front seat along with the youngun's, I'm going to wager:

500 quatloos each on these:

1. Cliff Barnes is involved somewhere. My bet is he's one of John Ross' mysterious investors and is hiding his identity.

2. The person who sent the mysterious email that broke up Elaina and Christopher is Pam. I read the producers want her back, and her story was left open-ended.

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Naah, even the presence of the iconic characters isn't enough. The kids just remind me of all the reasons I don't watch the WB.

11. Warp Core Breach

Warp Core Breach Commodore Commodore

There is that, yep. But Hagman's still got it! I was laughing my way through all of his scenes. I'll keep watching since it's only a 10 episode season, I'm kind of interested to see how it shakes out.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I think it's Christopher's new wife. Her involvement in his life looks to be nothing but a big con. She's up to something, but I think she'll come around to being on his side for real at some point.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Patrick Duffy looks really good-- and Larry Hagman doesn't look bad, either, considering his age and illness.

14. Ar-Pharazon

Having never watched any WB or CW shows, I never built up the hatred for those kinds of shows :lol:

The new wife, or her brother, is what I was thinking
    I wonder what Pam's motivation would be if it was her.

If Pam does return, I hope they made her look like Victoria Principal again (if she looked like anyone else after the fiery crash).

All we ever got was the fake Pam.

15. Agent Richard07

^
    Her brother sending the email while she didn't know? I can see that as well. In fact, that probably makes more sense storywise. It would make her more of a victim of her brother and a little less culpable in this whole scheme.

16. Ar-Pharazon

^
    Oh, she could have known about it, but maybe the brother is more technical than we've seen and could send a fake email from someone else

17. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yep, pretty much like I thought--pale shadow of the original, the young guys anchoring the show suck, the new cast with the exception of Ann(Brenda Strong) suck. And while the old cast were the strongest part at times it felt like they were trying to make some of JR's scenes like the walker more Grumpy Old Men than Dallas. Could care less about mysterious email since I don't give a lick about the young kids--take note next time you try to cast two generations of Ewings think Hagman/Duffy rather than JOsh Henderson/Jesse Metcalfe Ambercombie models piss poor actors with no gravitas.

Yeah not feeling this. Hey Hollywood quit trying to relive past glories and come up with some new ones instead of feeding off of old beloved once popular shows i.e. 90210, Melrose Place, Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, Dallas, The Munsters. I realize creativity is rare these days in Hollywood but try a little harder.

18. Agent Richard07

^ Nothing wrong with revisiting old properties. Sometimes it's more fun and creative to redo or continue old stuff. And some things should be revisited or explored more than once.

19. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Sure, absolutely, JR was the best thing there. I'm just saying that they should have tried harder to get youngsters with at least a tenth of his or Bobby's awesomeness. I don't want to sit through twenty minutes of metrosexual whining before I get to see the real stars kick ass.

I've loved Brenda Strong since I first saw her ages ago in Island City, and i cheered silently when she whipped out that 12-gauge and said "I've got a shotgun and I don't miss at this distance!" :D

20. Agent Richard07

I thought that the stuff going on with the new generation was compelling enough, and I'm pleased with the balance between them and the older generation. Bobby, J.R. and the rest could have been relegated to background cameos, but they haven't been. They're still a big part of the show. It's also nice that they kept the old theme. I knew they would, but I wasn't expecting it to be as untouched as it was. I thought they'd try to tweak it or modernize it more.