Reboot DS9 movies?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Jul 20, 2014.

1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

You mean, like, a DS9 action movie type of thing, yes? They'd have to make sure there weren't too many explosions though, right?

Yep, me too - DS9, a series that now has very little wider awareness beyond hardcore Trekkers, would be a terrible basis for a big budget Star Trek film. Yes, JJ doing TOS and bringing it back spectacularly with integrity, flair and aplomb was indeed an extremely smart move.

2. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I have no idea how Troi would be worked in, but I figure it will probably be some kind of time flash forward, or vision or even time travel. I could imagine maybe the Guardian of Forever will feature in the plot and we'd just see a glimpse of young Troi. There are all kinds of ways it could work without it being a big deal. It sounds like it would be a fun cameo at least, and it's possible this could be a bigger thing and set up a TNG reboot.

The JJ movies are an alternate timeline that doesn't affect the original Trek timeline, so no one would need to "restore" the timeline. Possibly there could be a search and rescue mission for Spock Prime if anyone even knew he were alive.

3. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quite right. I'm glad DS9 is and ever shall be a hidden gem among the Treks. It's beautiful as is. No need to dumb it down for the masses.

4. AirCommodore

AirCommodore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There is a possibility that Lwaxana Troi is alive in the 2260's. Or is there? I don't remember if they ever said how old she was. But we know Dax is. Bones has the "hands of a surgeon". There is also the possibility of Sybok. I think Saavik would be a child. And of course we haven't seen Kor, Kang or Koloth yet have we? Or we they all killed by the Narada?

Anyway, there are quite a few people who could show up. I cant see Deanna without Time Travel or FF.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOL! Well said. I still find a lot to like about DS9 despite having many, many reservations about it. I don't think it's going to happen now, but I'd still buy it again on Blu-ray if it ever comes to pass.

I presume you're referring to NuTrek in your "dumbing down" quip - you might just make me cry, dub. ;)

Seriously, I think you're completely wrong, but each to their own of course. As stated, I find something to like about all Trek, although DS9 is certainly the one I revisit the least. I do like to stay open minded - I could quite easily give you a list of what I really like about DS9.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That comment definitely made me go "what the fuck?" Bry-Sinclair has been a huge critic of the action of the Abramsverse. Yet wants to see Captain Kira "whoopin' butt".

Talk about a major disconnect.

There are no Trek series or movies that are smarter or dumber than another. Sorry. It's all make-believe and all have/had huge plot/logic gaps.

7. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wrong.

Apology accepted.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I have no problem with action films or action/sci-fi films, there have been some good ones over the years.

My problem with the NuTrek films is that they're being packaged as all style with little in the way of what I find to be enjoyable substance for a Trek film. As a action/sci-fi film they work rather well, but I personally don't see them as being good Trek.

As for Kira whooping-butt, she is (IMHO) the toughest character in Trek who was also one with the best character arch and most growth. When she was shown to take action it was always great to watch, but you also knew that she was only as good as she was through necessity, through all the horrendous things she had to do in the Resistance, but even she didn't resort to violence every episode.

Any DS9 film would be significantly different from what has come before, most likely being more of a 'political thriller' seeing as how the situation they faced would have to come to them.

9. LOKAI of CHERON

OK, with genuine respect, I'm really confused now.

You say you have no problem with Sci-Fi action films, and go on to state there have been some good ones. You acknowledge the NuTrek movies work rather well in that context. As I understand it then, you're saying you don't like NuTrek essentially because it's "packaged" as Star Trek? Could I ask how you determine these movies are not "good Trek"?

In an older thread, you stated you hadn't watched TOS since you were a child, and wouldn't want to watch it again with your "adult brain".

How do you conclude then, whether Nutrek is faithful to TOS if by your own admission, you have only vague memories of it. To be clear, I am asking about STAR TREK, not Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

As a TOS fanatic of decades standing who continues to love and watch it regularly, I believe NuTrek to be an extremely faithful return to the entertaining action adventure roots and style of that show. I don't understand how you can make comments about it with scant knowledge of the original.

Also, I find it a little hypocritical for you to "excuse" action in your preferred iteration of Star Trek, and then frequently lambaste it in NuTrek at any and every opportunity. Honestly, Bry, I'm finding it difficult to take you seriously.

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

All of the Trek movies I have really enjoyed (I’m specifically thinking of TWOK, TUC and FC here) have all had their high points of action, but also have a strong underlying plot that they follow and explore along the way—its not just waffle in between explosions.

Remembering back on TOS is a little fuzzy, but I remember there being interesting stories, moments of action, laughter and camaraderie, and campy goodness; all of which form the amalgamation of TOS—I’ve avoided going back and watching it due to what I’ve become accustomed to with special effects, acting talent and overall tone. The TOS-Movies I watch more frequently and enjoy immensely.

So to me, the core of NuTrek just feels wrong to me. NuKirk comes across as a doche (granted I’m not a fan of Shatner, but he added a layer of charm to Kirk, all NuKirk’s got going for him is that he’s hotter), NuSpock has serious anger management issues, NuMcCoy has been bumped to a secondary character and seems far mellower (the banter between him and NuSpock is also missing, or if it is there its obviously not interesting or memorable), I just can’t get a read on NuScotty (one of my favourites from TOS), NuSulu hasn’t really done enough to really comment on (another one I liked from TOS), NuUhura is just a snide bitch (probably my favourite TOS character), and NuChekov has the makings of an annoying teenage “boy wonder”. I don’t find many of the NuTrek characters just that appealing to watch. And for any film or TV series, you should at least give a damn about one of the characters to get you invested in who they are, what they are facing and if they'll survive it and come out the other end changed by the experience.

I was engrossed in TOS as a bairn and still read up on stories and backstage info now, but my sheer enjoyment of the series was in that mindset. I’d glad that you enjoyed the NuTrek films, they’re just not my cup of tea, due to poor characterisation and limp stories.

Action is a part of Trek, I do not dispute that, but action has always been as part of the whole story—with something meatier to get your teeth into and mind wrapped around. I find NuTrek to just beat you around head with it, with the films just stringing you along from one action sequence to the next without anything all that enticing or of value in between—unless you’re into scantily clad, poorly realised, female characters or headache-inducing lens flares.

If you’re finding me “difficult” to take “seriously” then kindly disregard this reply and all future posts I make regarding NuTrek—unless the third film is the best Trek film ever made, then my opinion of this element of the franchise in never going to change :)

11. LOKAI of CHERON

Yes, yes I think I'll do just that for the time-being - although I do reserve the right to challenge you if my opinion on NuTrek differs from yours. This is after all, an opinion based BBS. I don't feel there's any value in extending the debate in this thread since it's not on topic (DS9 movie reboot).

Suffice it to say, I vehemently disagree with your antecedent post, much of which is plain absurd to the point of being laughable - "snide bitch Uhura" :rolleyes:. I still feel you've been somewhat self contradictory and hypocritical, and have attempted to "back peddle" here.

I'll leave the last word to you if you wish.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My biggest issue with NuTrek is that whereas in the original Trek series Kirk always won by outsmarting the enemy, in NuTrek he wins by out-pewing the enemy.

Kirk from TOS, against a foe with superior firepower: "Send out a message in an encryption algorithm they don't know we know they've broken. We're about to blow up our corbomite."

Kirk from NuTrek, against a foe with superior firepower: "Here's the plan. Beam in and shoot everyone."

13. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

"Thinking". That would make for an exciting movie...wouldn't it?

14. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Ummmmmm.... this would make pre-JJverse Trek fans so mad. Talk about messing up the timeline!!! :scream::scream::scream:

15. BillJ

Why? My only reservation would be them using such a shitty character to bring in from the 24th century.

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

<AbedMode>Yes, every bit as exciting as such TOS classics as Balance of Terror and The Corbomite Maneuver, both frequently listed among the series best. In both cases Kirk was overpowered by the enemy. If he had just beamed over and managed to shoot everybody in Wild West mode it would make it seem like he was only winning because of blind luck combined with enemy incompetence. Instead by showing Kirk struggle through multiple gambits and desperate tricks which the enemy reacts to in equally intelligent manner, the enemy is proven to be competent and Kirk comes off as more impressive having earned the victory rather than lucked into it. This is how all the most successful action movies have portrayed their heroes and villains. Die Hard. Mad Max 2. If the enemy isn't intelligent and doesn't react in ways that would easily occur to the audience the audience is less able to suspend disbelief, making the action boring.</AbedMode>

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's all in the way you look at it. I could say Kirk's plan in TOS was "I've got nothing. Let's just try bullshitting our way thorough."
    How about, regarding ST'09, Kirk was thinking "Here's the plan. They won't be able to see the Enterprise, they won't be expecting us, let's mount a two man stealth assault"? It seems a lot like the Kirk who merrily took 7,824.7 to 1 odds in "Errand of Mercy"

18. BillJ

Or the Kirk who ran around randomly blowing up disintegration chambers in "A Taste of Armageddon". Hoping that he could cause some chaos.

There was quite a bit of luck involved in many of Kirk's successful missions.

19. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

I hope that they DO have a DS9 reboot movie, complete with the depiction of a proudly religious species like the Bajorans with their Prophets. For one, it doesn't negate the fact that the Prophets and the Pahwraiths are "wormhole aliens" to everyone else, and, if you can have entities like the Q, Organians, and the Dowd, you can include the inhabitants from the Bajorans Wormhole. Besides, having the religious aspect in 'Trek made for some interesting episodes, with very relevant topics (faith v. Empiricism, secular v. tradition, etc.). Trying to hide from such topics of debate is not Star Trek, IMO.

20. BillJ

I don't think I'm for hiding from such debates. I'm for avoiding it being handled in a painfully dull way. Which was how DS9 handled it.