Why are Trekkies so Hateful of Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by milojthatch, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It still passes through that lens of nostalgia. The cold light of day's got nothing on warm, fuzzy feelings of yesteryear.

2. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

A trend which one hopes will eventually dispel the Endless Vortex of Cynical Remakes.

I dunno. The vaguer form of warm, fuzzy nostalgia hasn't worked against NuTrek so far as I can see, far from it. NuTrek is designed very effectively and precisely to exploit it, and has done its job.

What's likelier to work against it is people actually being able to see and compare the real article of yesteryear, and not just fuzzy memories of it, with the new property. The warm, fuzzy feelings of yesteryear haven't done much to preserve my affections for TNG Trek; by contrast I was once wont to misremember TOS as being far cheesier and pulpier than it actually was. The ability to re-view it at will has blunted that tendency a lot for me and taught me respect for the old series I didn't previously have. Without that, NuTrek would probably have seemed a lot cleverer to me than it does.

3. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Doubtful. However bad press is still press and can result in more ticket sales, but usually by saying something more controversial.

I say embrace your trekker nerdiness...especially since a good part of the intelligensia embraced Star Trek.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. BigJake

Couldn't agree more.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree with BigJake about the message being intended to attract people who wouldn't line up to see the nuTrek films, if they thought they were going to be like that earlier Trek that they specifically elected not to watch or that they lost interest in. I thought that was glaringly obvious.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, it was important to get the message out that this new movie was not Just For Trekkies Only. Star Trek was never supposed to be this exclusive, elitist thing that was only accessible to the True Believers. Star Trek is for everybody, casual fans and lifelong Trekkies alike.

And me, I'm a Trekkie, not a Trekker. "Trekker" always sounds to me like a Trekkie putting on airs. :)

7. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

A word to the wise...

The topic (as laid out by the OP) is broad enough to be inclusive of the entire Trek franchise, not just the new movies.

If you're (generic you) is only interested in bashing or praising JJ-Trek (or nu-Trek, or whatever), we have a forum specifically to discuss that portion of the franchise. THIS forum is not intended for discussions of a specific series, etc.

8. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His wacky short stories, along with Thoreau's writings are why I became an English major. Scarlet is all ZZZs, but man, those stories are pretty cool.

9. BigJake

Robbiesan probably has a point about the specific methodology perhaps not being ideal :p

10. BigJake

I trust it's clear that any commentary above from me about the nature of nostalgia or the phenomenon of the elusive Yellow-Bellied Hater is just as applicable to any other form of Trek as it is to NuTrek, which of course simply comes up because the OP mentioned it specifically and because it happens to be currently relevant.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It is true nostalgia plays a part, but I somehow doubt the people who had NuTrek as their first Trek will become as obsessed with it as people who started with TOS or TNG. They like the films but 20 years later they probably won't be going to conventions dressing up as characters from them.

Just like the people who had FFXIII as their first Final Fantasy won't become rabid anime-loving Japanophiles the way the people who started with 4, 6 or 7 did.

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Certainly it's not fool proof, but that nostalgia does tend to create a strong bias in some people. I figure the people who see the comparisons and still go with the nostalgia are the ones who don't want to give in to the idea that so much time has passed.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate only two things in Trek, and only one of them do I make a point of hating on every time it comes up (because I don't want to offend people who like the other thing). I adore hating on my pet hate, I adore pulpifying it under my stomping hatey hate hate words of disgust and venom and ill will. Piece of vile crap that it is.

I hate on that thing because it's fun. But if it was dearly loved I would not be doing so, certainly never doing so in the forum it belongs in because that's just being jerky to actual people, not the thing itself. However since I am not alone I am free to hate upon it will all my hatey hate hateness :lol:

14. BigJake

I'm sure it's dearly loved by someone, somewhere, darling teacake... and would you be a monster? A terrible, terrible monster like the awful Willow Rosenberg? Ponder it with care... ;)

15. teacake

I'm not sure if it is dearly loved by anyone.. but if it is, they are wrong.

16. BigJake

Actually, I rather liked "Threshold." :shifty:

17. teacake

Oh I freaking love Threshold, I will defend that forevah. I've started whole threads about its wonderful campy squickiness.

18. BigJake

Drat! I should've known!

I can figure this out... an episode? A character? A uniform?

19. teacake

An episode.

20. BigJake

"Fair Haven"? "A Night in Sickbay"? "Endgame"? "These Are The Voyages"?