50th Anniversary Trailer Description

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jul 21, 2013.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From io9:

The trailer starts out on a haunting, dark note — Matt Smith is walking in the TARDIS, while in voiceover he says, "I've had many faces. Many lives. I don't admit to all of them. There's one life I've tried very hard to forget." And we glimpse the Doctor talking to Clara about his greatest secret.

And then — what looks like the Time War, between the Daleks and the Time Lords! Seriously. Daleks blowing up, flames everywhere, everything going to Hell. And in the middle of all the carnage, John Hurt as the non-Doctor, looking resolute. "Great men are forged in fire," he says. And then something about being the man who lit the flames.

And then, we get Tennant and Smith. Tennant, in his TARDIS, yells "Allons-y," while Matt Smith, in his, yells "Geronimo!"

Rose pops up and warns that "the moment is coming." And John Hurt's non-Doctor says that he is ready for what's going to happen.

And then: the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors comparing their sonic screwdrivers, as Tennant looks possibly a bit jealous of Smith's screwdriver. And then a shot of both of them wearing clever glasses, while Smith wears his fez and they look delighted with their cool gear. And then a glimpse of Rose, looking excited.

Oh, and the TARDIS being airlifted down to Trafalgar Square with the Doctor hanging down from it.

Smith is in the TARDIS, when he says, "I remember this. I pretty much remember." And we see twinkly lights traveling across the Earth.

David Tennant and John Hurt are inside Matt Smith's TARDIS. "Oh, you've redecorated. I don't like it," Tennant says, channeling Patrick Troughton in "The Three Doctors."

A title appears: "This fall, the Doctor will face his darkest day: Himself."

And we see Zygons, plural. Busting out of a glass case. And then some more shots of Daleks blowing up and being torn apart and generally being Da-wrecked.
    Inside the TARDIS, Tennant tells Smith, "For once, I would like to know where I'm going." Smith responds: "No, you really wouldn't."

And then, someone says, "I'm looking for the Doctor." And the camera pans around to show Hurt, Tennant and Smith, with the two Doctors trying not to look at their unacknowledged predecessor. Tennant shrugs and says, "Well, you've certainly come to the right place."

So it does look like Moffat is just going to toally ignore the fact that both the 9th & 10th Doctors took responsibility for their actions in the Time War and shift all the "blame" onto 8.5.

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Uh, how does it being 8.5 that ended the Time War remotely differ in the grand scheme of things from the 8th Doctor ending the Time War? In either case, it's Eccleston's direct predecessor that ended the war, so he still feels guilt for it.

Think before you bash.

3. StCoop

Now that's the comedy quote of the year.

4. DalekJim

I'm right though? It was previously established that the incarnation before the newly regenerated Eccleston was the one that ended the Time War. We assumed it was Paul McGann, but it's John Hurt.

Explain where the problem lies?

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

What StCoop is saying is that the ninth and tenth Doctors were painted by what he had done during the Time War, but the eleventh Doctor says the Hurt Doctor did things that made him anathema to his perception of himself, so there's a disconnect in the Doctor's self-perception of his role in Time War if the Time War is being dumped onto Hurt.

6. StCoop

Exactly. Hurt's actions were so terrible that his incarnation is no longer thought of as being a Doctor by the others. If those turn out to be what he did to end the Time War then it basically rewrites the main thrust of RTD's era.

7. DalekJim

The 9th Doctor would still have all the memories of the Hurt incarnation, so the trauma would carry on. We see in Rose that he's only recently regenerated. It'd be weird if the 9th Doctor forgot all the stuff Hurt did considering he was Hurt probably a day earlier.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So we're going to see the RTD console room again? I thought they tore the set down after they finished filming The Doctor's Wife?

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Of course it's eminently possible that 8, 8.5 and 9 fought in the Time War, were involved in various battles but that in one particular battle Hurt Doctor crossed the line, therefore it's one specific battle within the wider Time War, rather than the Time War as a whole.

But then again Moffat could cure cancer and some people would still rag on him...

10. The Wormhole

My personal interpretation is that the Eighth Doctor was involved when the Time War began, and that he was trying to be good, indeed it could have been him who tried to save Davros from the Nightmare Child as mentioned in The Stolen Earth. Then when he regenerated and became Hurt, he could have become ruthless and decidedly un-Doctor like until eventually he regenerated becoming Eccleston who finally decided to bring the Time War to an end.

11. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

The set is at the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff, to actually fit in the exhibit its been significantly scaled down.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

They did, sort of. It was moved to the Doctor Who Experience.

13. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How can there even be a trailer yet, or a description of what it's gonna look like.....if they haven't even started filming it??

14. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

They've been filming for a while.

15. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

He really couldn't have been. The whole 'only just regenerated' thing was never thought out as later in the episode that fanboy shows Rose all those pictures of Eccleston throughout history.

It could've been the first time he'd seen himself in a mirror, however...

16. The Wormhole

Yeah, they began filming in April and were finished by May.

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

He (at least Eccleston's version) doesn't strike me as a very vain person. I doubt the Doctor was even worried about what he looked like at the time.

18. The Wormhole

19. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We don't. We only see him mention in passing about his new appearence, which for all intents and purposes could've been recent - not recent like just a few days ago, but recent as in, for a while now.

Really, I've never really bought into that specific assumption he'd just regenerated based on the mirror thing. He seemed quite together in ways no Doctor has been since Tom Baker, and that might've been because Tom Baker's Fourth came to be with the assistance of that ethereal whats-you-call-him Time Lord. The Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth (especially him), and even Tenth and Eleventh (though the least of all, probably) had a good adjustment periods before they settled to their new selves.

If Hurt's Doctor HAS to be involved in the Time War, then I hope what you've said is done. Perhaps he did something nasty that had nothing to do with the Daleks or the Time Lords, and that action comes to bite the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors in the "present".

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, for fu...