Is Stargate dead... forever?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by ReadyAndWilling, Nov 19, 2011.

1. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

okay, so i was thinking about this earlier. since SGU effectively killed the Stargate franchise - will we ever see SG again or is it all over? i remember hearing about an SGA movie and that sounded great. now i hear nothing will come of it.

man, i want SG back!

2. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't say forever...... when you have something that was as successful as long as Stargate was, eventually the studios will come back to it and try to get more money out of it. However, it will likely be a long time before we see new Stargate again.

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not dead as long as we remember it.

And have the DVDs. :)

4. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

If it comes back, it will almost certainly be as a reboot.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, despite whatever popularity Stargate might have had in the past, it's gone now and the Stargate franchise isn't one of The Greats in sci-fi. I'm not expecting a comeback ever.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I think at some point we'll see more, someone will decide sometime the time is right.

I would be shocked to see anything further in the same continuity, though.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Forever is a long time. It'll be rebooted someday and it might be even better. (I hope so.)

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Stargate is more of a second tier franchise. It belongs alongside Buffy, Hercules, and Battlestar Galactica rather than Star Trek, Macross, or Doctor Who. It might get a revival, but it's in no way guaranteed. I'd honestly be surprised if we get another TV show or film.

9. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

JJGate?

10. Queen Mab

Queen Mab Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Macross? :confused:

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I would argue, that it was the audiance or lack thereof that killed SG of not SGU. To expand on that after SG:A wasn't picked up for a season 6, in favour of SG:U a portion of the audiance took an instant dislike to it and wouldn't even give it a chance, and some of those that did give it a chance went in wanting to find fault with it. So picked up every flaw it had (and SG:U had some, but then again EVERY show has them) and held it up as to the reason why SG:A shouldn't have been cancelled.

SG:U was never mend to be the same as SG:A or SG-1. If SG:U had been more like the other shows and it had still been cancelled after 2 years instead of the cries it got cancelled because it tried to be different, it would have been it got cancelled because it was too similar.

As for whether or not it will return, all things are possible. Just look at Doctor Who, canelled in 1989 and aside from one TV movie it wasn't until 2003 that the show was announced as returning. i.e. that rare TV phenomenon an Uncancellation.

12. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anime. It's been running pretty much continuously since 1982 in various forms.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be shocked to see a Stargate Reboot soon. There's certainly a lot that could be done with the franchise to take it back to its roots but make it exciting again.

14. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Stargate is MGM's second most profitable franchise. They're going to want to rinse it for cash again at some point. Other than Star Trek and Dr Who, I can't think of a bigger sci-fi franchise on TV unless you can count Star Wars now. It may not seem that way in the US, but worldwide it has a huge following. You only have to look at how big Gateworld is to give you an idea.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

SINO! :rommie:

If they'll bring back Knight Rider, they'll bring back Stargate. You don't have to be an A or even B franchise for that. However, unlike most of the stuff they could revive, Stargate has real potential. In all the years they had to develop the franchise, I never thought it really lived up to its potential to be more than second-rate imitation Star Trek. They just need a new creative team, which at this point is a given.

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

NBC is remaking The Munsters. CBS is remaking The Rifleman. Everything will get remade eventually.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm betting they'll remake the original movie.

18. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Wasn't there some talk a while back about the folks behind the original movie wanting to finish off the trilogy they originally envisioned?

19. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

Devlin is still itching to finish his trilogy, maybe Spyglass won't have the same attitude towards him has MGM? I hope they do though, personally.

20. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

you mean a trilogy of arc and continuum? was it going to be SG1 or SGA?