Your definition of a real 'Trekkie'?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by explodingmuffin, May 20, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

None of that is a discussion of either what a Trekkie is or about the new movie. It's something else.

The correct answer is that "anyone who calls themself a 'Trekkie' is a Trekkie." It's self-identification, same as those folks who stand up in Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and identify themselves as "I'm ________ and I'm an alcoholic." Their "rule" is that no one can tell you that you are one unless you choose to so identify yourself, and if you do no one can keep you out.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  2. JTK2099

JTK2099 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I remember when I was in high school it was nerdy to be into Star Trek but cool to be into Star Wars. Please do not turn this thread into more SW prequel bashing, but the prequels changed all that. SW has become MUCH more nerdy in the eyes of the public since 1999. For the past several years ST was sort of underground to the general public.

I have been a fan since the 70's syndication and Nickelodeon's run of the animated series in the 80's. I have never been "in the closet" about my fandom. But, I do feel somewhat vindicated in the polar shift in coolness away from SW and towards ST.

3. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whining that Trek is cool now? How Trekkie of you ;)

4. Tentacle

Tentacle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh that's such a cop out.
    Timmy walks into an AA meeting
    Timmy: "hi, my name is Timmy and I am an alcoholic"
    Group: "hello Timmy"
    Timmy: "I tried my first beer yesterday, and I got drunk and feel asleep for the whole afternoon. I am so ashamed, mommy had to come and wake me up."

As if the group wouldnt laugh their asses off at Timmy. Especially when some of those AA members had their lives ruined, lost their families, beat their kids and spouses........

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The point is really, who cares? What's the point of having to pass some qualifying test to use the term "trekkie"? Why does it bother anyone to have someone use that term when they have spent less time in the fandom than others? It's not like they are saying, "oh, I'm a pilot" and you need to see credentials before you get in the plane.

Plenty of people call themselves trekkies who are pretty much one series people. A whole generation is TNG besotted and kind of meh on everything else. People call themselves trekkies and have not seen entire series of Trek. Now I'm a Trek-Omnivore, I have seen and enjoyed all Trek and own most Trek. Often I meet people IRL who identify as Trekkies and want to talk about how wonderful it is.. and for them it begins and ends with TNG. They have not watched DS9 or VOY and maybe not even heard of ENT. I don't care. They can call themselves trekkies if they like and I can talk TNG with them. I'm not there to GRADE them on their trekness ffs.

6. Tentacle

You do not understand because you have not suffered the stigma of being called a trekkie. I have no problems with people coming out and saying they like trek or even call themselves a trekkie. But dont turn around and ridicule those that love trek for what it was, and suffered for their love, and in my case bleed for it.

If you do not see the irony of the reformed "jocks", the born again trekkie bashing the trekkies that have bore the stigma. Then your ignorance amuses me.

7. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

1. has a shrine: action figures, ships, posters, etc.

2. sticks to cannon cause anything else is blasphemy.

3. superior knowledge of trek facts.

optional: knows a trek alien language like klingon

8. trekjiro

trekjiro Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think its a simple definition.
    Someone above the typical fan.
    Someone who has some kind of affinity to the show's characters, stories, messages, ships, costumes, haircuts, effects, etc in a special way.

I haven't seen the new movie yet. Maybe i'm not a 'true trekkie'.
    But i think i am. :)

9. teacake

The stigma, the bleeding.. dude if you are being martyred for Trek then you are in an abusive situation that has nothing to do with Trek. If this is happening in your school and the authorities within that school can't do anything about it, or you fear talking to them, you should consider calling some kind of hotline. We have them in my country for teens and you can get legal advice about how to deal with an abusive situation.

Causing bleeding is ASSAULT and punishable by law. If someone hit me because I was a trekkie or gay or not-cool or ANYTHING I would be calling the police and pressing charges. Ideally a person in authority would do it for you but if that's not possible remember you can do it yourself.

10. Tentacle

I got picked on when I was in highschool, that's long over with.
    You can not relate because you have not gone through this. :brickwall:
    I'm sure there alot of other kids that had meet a school yard bully.

My experience in my youth helps me build character, I would of wish it to stop back then, but now thinking back I wouldnt want to have it taken away from me.

Its part of who am I.

So playing Sybok trying to take away my pain is a big no no :sigh::sigh::sigh:

11. teacake

Actually Tentacle I was picked on a great deal, so much so that I missed a year of school because of the extreme stress of it. However I do not live in those experiences and am not threatened by swathes of jocks liking this film. I do not assume they are all automatically bullies.

Sisko had to move past the worst experience of his life, the death of his wife at the hands of the Borg. He did not see that that experience defined him, it was where he lived though some years had gone by since those events. You see the popular reception of this film through the eyes of your painful past and you seem frustrated that others don't share this. Maybe I would have felt like you if I was still 14 and suddenly Trek became trendy, but I don't live in my classically Trek-outsider adolescence. You may look at this differently in the years to come.

12. AxelFoley

AxelFoley Commander Red Shirt

I do, and I don't see a problem with that. There were Trekkies long before there was a TNG, DS9, VOY & ENT.

13. teacake

VERY GOOD POINT!

LOL, yes I was a Trekkie when it was only TOS.

14. Tentacle

Would you like to give me the number of your therapist? :rolleyes:

Well if trek became trendy on its own merits, then I would be alot more accepting of the new people. But this new trek is a dumbed down version, for me to be associated with the people that love the dumb trek, is like me going along with what is cool and conforming to what's trendy.

But if you average "jock" or your prom queen wants to come aboard, I'm all for it, but I reserve the right too look down my noses at them. Until they prove to me that they have the capacity to change and grow.

15. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Why do you let them define who you are?

16. Quest_techie

Quest_techie Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Someone who cares about trek as a whole, but doesn't just accept something as trek because they are told it is

just because paramount tells me that ST-XI is canon, does not mean I will accept it as canon.

same for enterprise.

17. teacake

So. A trekkie is Comic Book Guy. Gotcha.

18. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I'm not sure if you understand what canon means.

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

A Trekkie is somebody who never gets any.

Oh come guys, one of us had to say it!

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I think it's counter-productive to drive a wedge between "true Trekkies" and other people. So what if jocks and cheerleaders, uninformed co-workers, and your clueless sister-in-law think they like STAR TREK now? Cool. It was never meant to be an exclusive club.

None of us enjoyed being persecuted in high school, but claiming our persecution as a badge of honor, to the extent that we resent outsiders for sharing our interests isn't helping any. We need to reach out to the whole wide world, not drive them away by claiming they're not Trekkie enough . . . .

Nobody "deserves" to like STAR TREK more than anyone else.

And, on a slight differently issue, claiming that anyone who doesn't agree with you regarding the new movie isn't a real Trekkie is just silly. I mean, there are Trekkies out there who like THE FINAL FRONTIER. That boggles my mind, but I would never question their fannish credentials. There is no official "party line" where STAR TREK is concerned.