Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Trek!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Infern0, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Re: Terrible News, Abrahms might be quitting Star Wars to return to Tr

I do, but I can't really say. ;)

2. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

You want "Thoughtful Sci-Fi"? Go read a book.

Give me more Trek like STiD please.

And JJ's not leaving SW. It's his dream job.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Paramount tried to get Him, but they said His price was too high.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

Yes, at least if you value Star Trek over your own considerations. When Trek came back in 2009, I considered its success more important than me liking it, because it would keep the franchise alive, and increased the odds of me liking Trek chapters in the future.

We've been through this before: t'was always so.

Talk about an overreaction. It's not like he's a serial killer or something.

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aw, man, we were this close to ditching Orci and Kurtzman...

7. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

:rolleyes:

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This thread is hilarious.
    [​IMG]
    Fuck that Nicholas Meyer for making Khan white! Mother fucker!!
    [​IMG]
    :guffaw:

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Ummm, JJ Abrams didn't write either Trek movie, but I'm sure others have already told you. (Yep.)

10. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will believe it or not when you read he is on set filming or is replaced before that happens... Just like denials over David Moyes moving from Everton to Manchester United (Football Manager, big thing in my part of the world it would seem) or Abrams claiming he was sticking with Trek and not going over to Star Wars I wouldnt be so quick to believe press releases.

That said my money will be on him directing Episode VII and producing Star Trek 3.

I dont think they were going anywhere, Bad Robot are still producing Star Trek with or without Abrams in the directors chair. Plus if another rumour on IGN is to be believed there are new writers being brought in with Orci & Kurtzman still involved.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/07/...reenwriters-rumored-for-third-star-trek-movie

I really enjoyed First Class and Sarah Connor Chronicles so I hope they bring some of the same to the table.

All in all this is a good thing for those of us who liked the past 2 movies and want to see something in 2016, I feel for the people who cant stand it but all you can do is stay home and dont bother yourself with it, its not like CBS are interested in releasing a TV show which is what Abrams wanted in the first place.

11. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

And this topic has been moved to Trek Movies XI+ down the hall.

12. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

+1

13. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd say this quote 100% sums up why some find JJ Abrams's fanbase to be depressing. It's just.. so aggressively anti-thinking.

I'd rate the first 2 Star Trek films as thoughtful science-fiction, especially compared to what we were served this summer. People shouldn't only have to think while reading a book. Some of us quite enjoy thinking during films, actually.

But like.. it made loads of money. So wahey! Go JJ, you rock man! Pew, pew! Boom, boom! BUCKLE UP! FIRE EVERYTHING!

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Or maybe we're just 100% pro-fun.

Sometimes people like to have fun, they like to enjoy what they're doing. I go to the movies to have fun. You might want to try it sometime.

Just to show you how "aggressively anti-thinking" I am, I just finished Manifest: Time by Stephen Baxter and am currently reading Manifest: Space.

15. DalekJim

Even when it comes to brainless action movies, I'd say Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers were much more enjoyable than Star Trek Into Darkness. It was a pretty lackluster action film, even compared to others it was competing with like Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel.

Thinking can be fun!

I just hate what Abrams had done to the fandom. Trek fandom used to be proud of prioritising intelligent writing over mindless action. Now if you prefer the former, you get this aggressive, meat-headed reaction that you're not doing it right or whatever. It's unpleasant.

Some people are getting their golden age of ideal Star Trek right now, and that's great for them as I can still watch The Inner Light, In The Pale Moonlight or The Tholian Web whenever I want. But I hate this irritating element of peer pressure that comes from "Can't you be grateful it made money?". Especially as I view JJ Abrams as a shyster milking Star Trek for gold coins. It's like I'm being asked to cheer while one of my favourite things is exploited in a degrading way, for the throwaway amusement of people I totally lack respect for.

16. BillJ

Which is fine, everyone has their own threshold for enjoyment of material. But quit trying to look down on others because they enjoy things that you don't.

It makes you immensely unlikable.

17. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Well thank god you're here to add some intelligence to the conversation. If you think that TMP and TWOK are two intelligent scifi movies, go watch them then. We'll be perfectly content to watch these movies. Obviously you don't like them, so don't watch.

And calling Abrams a "vile toad", especially from someone who claims to be such a student of film history, is just hilarious. He's a director. He makes movies. He isn't a mass murderer. Maybe if you quit with the hyperbole, some people around here might take your opinion seriously.

18. DalekJim

Eh, I get shit on for not enjoying this crap all the time. Been called a virgin, homosexual, or whatever, and I'm supposed to just take it on the chin. Yet, whenever I decide to bite back the Abrams fans act ridiculously defensive.

It's my opinion, and the fact he has his own personal online goon squad that will treat any detractor with horrific rudeness does nothing to endear the man to me. He's a hack, and an unpleasant one at that as his constant insistence that he doesn't make his films for Star Trek geeks exemplifies. The fact that people he laughs at and mocks will defend him with such furor, is utterly absurd.

A Star Trek fan page on Facebook just shared this story and the general reaction in the comments was "Thank fuck!" from Star Wars fans, so I'm far, far from alone. People are gonna have to put up with Abrams hate as long as his films are still remembered. Best to accept it, and not feel the need to pile on others for not liking a film you like.

19. BillJ

Two wrongs don't make a right.

And I seriously doubt anyone on this sub-forum has called you any of those things as M'Sharak usually doesn't put up with those types of insults, even from long-time posters.

Also, Star Trek was never the deep philosophical or intellectual exercise some folks think it is. I started watching when I was five-years old and was able to grasp most of what I was watching.

20. DalekJim

You need only look at this thread. A few posters expressed their disdain at JJ Abrams's "style", and got piled on with a bunch of insults from his cheerleaders, telling them to grow up, sit down, shut up, and enjoy whatever is served because it's Star Trek. We've also had a bunch of threads that amount to "Screw the haters!".

I just don't get what people feel it achieves. JJ Abrams doesn't care about you, he's got your money and has moved on to Star Wars. Unless the move inconveniences him, in which case he'll apparently come crawling back, asking for your money again in a few years time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.