A place to buy scifi posters?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by RoJoHen, Dec 2, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have decided that I want to hang some framed posters from my favorite scifi shows on one of my walls. I currently have a poster from the new Trek movie there, and I want to add 3 more. I'm just having a really hard time tracking down good posters. My Star Trek poster is 22 X 34, which I got at Walmart. Most of the posters I'm finding online are only 11 X 17, but I'd really like to find larger ones to match my Trek poster. Anybody have any idea where I can look?

I'd like posters from Farscape, Firefly, BSG...

What really bugs me is that I used to have posters for these shows, but they all got destroyed the last time I moved. I got them at allposters.com, but they don't have them for sale anymore.

EDIT: I'm actually starting to realize that my Trek poster is not a normal size (even though I very easily found a frame for it!). I may have to upgrade to a larger one.

2. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ The few posters that I really wanted, I just got from eBay.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I tried eBay, but I couldn't find anything I wanted.

4. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ That sucks... it's great for new stuff, but I have no idea if you can find posters of older shows & movies there.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I wasn't expecting it to be this hard. About 5 years ago, I wouldn't have had this trouble. I didn't realize posters just stopped existing like this. :lol:

6. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Have you tried amazon? Or googling for "movie_title poster"?

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

27x40 is the official movie poster size. The problem is a lot of web sites that specialize in posters are overpriced. Do you have a local poster shop anywhere nearby?

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yes. I have in fact used the internet before. :p

I have been finding posters I want, but you're right, they're way overpriced. I don't want to spend $30-50 on a poster.

I have no idea if there are any poster shops anywhere. I didn't even know such places existed. :lol:

What's really annoying about the Farscape posters is that most of them are just blown-up DVD covers (they even say things like "Disc 1" and "WIDESCREEN"). I used to have a legitimate Farscape poster in college! Damn dorms and drunk college kids...ruining all my stuff...

9. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

S&P Parker Movie Market have been in business for years. Here's a link. They're in the UK but they may ship internationally. http://www.moviemarket.com/

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

They don't have anything I'm looking for, sadly.

I did find moviepostershop.com, which has a good selection. Now I just need to figure out exactly what I want.

11. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always been the kind of person who'd rather hang a poster on my wall than a framed landscape.

My problem is, I don't know the best way to mount said posted for display.

Anyone know of a good website or store for that sort of info?

Glass seems too heavy (and pricey) so I was thinking clear plastic shells of the appropriate sizes

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My current poster has a black frame with a thin plastic cover. It got it at Walmart for about $5, and it actually looks really nice. Just hammer a small nail into the wall and hang it like you would any other picture.

I ended up buying 5 posters:

Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars (basically just a larger version of the DVD cover)
    Serenity
    BSG (the Last Supper picture)
    A new Star Trek XI poster (to match the size of the other posters)

And I got another one from the show "Chuck." It has a landscape orientation, so I think I'm going to hang it on the opposite wall.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Poster shops usually sell well in university districts, since there will always be college students looking to hang stuff up on their dorm walls.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, nowhere near me, then.

15. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got some great Trek t-shirts and posters on EBay a few years back, now they seem to have dried up, decent t-shirts especially so.

16. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hollywood posters on Colfax.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

An annoying development:

Poster frames. Why the hell are they so expensive? I mean, the one I have now was like $5 at Walmart. But nobody sells 27x40 frames in-store (I found some at IKEA that were 27x39.25, but they were $20 a piece). I just want some cheap plastic frames with a cheap plastic cover and a cheap cardboard backing. I don't need anything fancy here.

18. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I'm not for sale...

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I use www.posters.com I've gotten some good stuff from there. I can't wait to move into my new place so I can have awesome movie posters everywhere.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Try artsnotdead.com. They have lots of cool old scifi and horror movie posters.

My girlfriend got me THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES for my birthday, although I still haven't found time to put it up yet.