DVD/Blu-Ray Coming November 17th

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Devon, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

It's going to be an exciting time! We have the same plans as you with the BD and player.

2. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

IMHO, G.I.JOE was pretty damm good, even though they killed off Cover Girl and changed some things about the Joes and Cobra. I also like Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen as well, so okay, shoot me!:shifty::p

I too plan to buy the 2-disc special edition of Star Trek, maybe even get the exclusive edition from Best Buy/Future Shop if there is one.

3. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

When it comes down to $129.99 (CDN) at EB Games (the same price as the X-BOX 360), then I'll buy one-but not before.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I feel bad about this (not really) but I recently got one of those external disk drives that you can kook up into a laptop for about $80 and well it has a very interesting feature

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/Hartzilla2007/untitled-2.jpg

[An interesting feature, indeed, but at 1024 pixels wide, that pic is bending the page quite a bit, so I'm converting it to link. If you want to resize the image of put it behind a thumbnail and repost, that's fine with me. - M']

Isn't technology wonderful?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2009
  5. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Blu-ray player alternative - low cost

What brand, model?
    What software specifically comes with the external drive that will play BD-Video (Blu-ray movies)?
    Is it Blu-ray Disc player profile 1.1 ?
    What data connectors to your computer does it have?
    What vendor was it purchased from at that price?

Have you used the Blu-ray software and played a Blu-ray yet? Any issues with stuttering?

All of the Blu-ray BD-ROM drives are internal drives with Serial ATA Interface (Ver 1.0A) at http://www.pricewatch.com/browse/dvd_cd_drives/blu-ray/0

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Can the X-Box play blu-ray movies? If not, it's not much of an alternative.

7. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Especially since the PS3 is still considered one of the best BD players.

8. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

As I said, I'm willing to wait until the price of a PS3 comes down, or until the price of a Blu-Ray player/recorder/DVD burner comes down.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't get why all of these movies that came out after Trek did in the theaters (like Transformers) had their DVD releases come out before Trek's (which was one of the earliest movies to come out this Summer.)

10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

It used to be (though it may not still hold true) that a longer wait time for a home video release of a film was a mark of "respect"--making one wait for the better films to increase anticipation (as well as maximize opening week sales). It was a rough rule of thumb, not a hard and fast rule, but it's possible this thinking applied in this case. (or I could be entirely out to lunch)

11. MvRojo

I just figured they decided to stagger them out this way so that they'll get huge upfront sales, and then since Transformers 2 and G.I. Joe will have been out for some time, they will be slashed in price for Black Friday, generating more sales. I wouldn't expect to see Trek XI heavily discounted for Black Friday.

12. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I'm rather confused. I saw at the shops today two "2-disc Special Edition" DVD sets, one with Nero on the cover, the other with Kirk, Spock and Uhura. The former cost $30, and the latter $25, but the features listed on the back were absolutely identical. There was no indication whatsoever as to what justified the price difference (unless I missed something very obvious).

13. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    The Trekkies and Trekkers should all be allowed to buy their DVD or Blu-Ray's of Star Trek (XI) two weeks earlier than everyone else because we are the core audience, the should pander to our every need!:lol:

Seriously this waiting is driving me crazy, I want my Star Trek and I want it NOW!:scream:

14. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

^ Move to Australia. :p

15. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    Just sold everything and bought a ticket to Sidney, wait, I needed PS3 to watch new Star Trek...DAMMIT!:lol:

16. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

That movie looks great in HD ;)

BTW: Is it just me, or did they indeed fix the shot on the Narada where we saw Ayel's gun lying on that bridge, from which Kirk was hanging, even before Kirk took it from Ayel?

Did anyone notice that the CG-model of the Enterprise has a nasty little error on the impulse engine-thingy/spine, along those glowy stripes, on the saucer's topside? I noticed it in cinema already (it's very noticable at the end before the Enterprise jumps to warp) and got it confirmed in that Starship-simulator on the second Blu-Ray.

17. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

What do you mean by error? A mesh error?

18. MvRojo

When Kirk jumps from the upper level to the lower level, there's an overhead shot with Ayel's weapon clearly lying on the walkway.

19. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

No, no I get that. And yes, it seems they did fix it, looking over that scene now. I'll give them credit for catching that, and making an effort to fix it.

He referred to an error on the Enterprise, along the impulse spine. Thats the error I was referring to.

20. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Then I must have looked a the wrong shot.
    I haven't seen the weapon in the overhead shot before Ayel jumps after him.