Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Sep 9, 2012.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, they really need to fix the aerodynamic model. It was an okay stand-in when there was only a handful of parts, but now its faults are too silly to ignore. They're probably not going to fix it until they add clouds and possible other weather conditions, which they're experimenting on now, but now that KSP is becoming more of a game and less of a tech-demo the placeholder physics are becoming more annoying.

2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Discovered HydroJeb, which takes the tedium out of docking and has some nifty (though garishly coloured) docking cameras and targets. Seems to work very well, and the camera view is nice. Purists would argue that one ought to do such things manually (or is that, Kerbally?) but I'm more interested in designing my craft and assembling them quickly in orbit than in farting about for hours on end. It's just a game, after all... Those with excellent hand-eye coordination can do it the hard way.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

ORDA has fully automated docking. Get within 2 kilometers. click "dock", "automated", "engage" and then sit back and watch.

There's the hardway, and then there's real life - let the computer do it.

4. Asbo Zaprudder

Indeed. Although I haven't tried ORDA, HydroJeb appears to work well. In particular, the docking camera view is a thing of beauty.

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a question: I haven't played the game myself, but do any of these systems (including the automated docking mod) have the potential for failure, like in real life? It would be interesting if your docking program suddenly went haywire when you're closing in on a station!

6. Asbo Zaprudder

In theory, no. However, the other day my RCS thrusters started misfiring for some reason and I had to take quick action to prevent a tumbling module from colliding with a solar panel array on my space station. I suspect that there might be a bug lurking in the docking code - or let's blame the deep space Kraken.

http://kspwiki.nexisonline.net/wiki/Deep_Space_Kraken

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfnnLTzF1kc[/yt]

7. TheGodBen

But real life spaceflight isn't as fun as you'd hope. You have to endure punishing g-forces, you have to pee into a sucky hose, you can't bathe properly, you have to exercise constantly, and you can't even leave Low Earth Orbit. Other than the floating and the magnificent view, real-world spaceflight isn't all that appealing. :p

I don't have a problem with people using mods if that's what they find fun, but I find manual flight much more rewarding. I sometimes feel like an auto-pilot would be nice for experimental things, like when I was testing my station's lifeboat module to see if it would survive re-entry, but if I'm heading out to another planet, I want to be the one that pilots the ship, and I want to be the one that lands it. If I screw up, that's on me, but then I get to plan a rescue mission. ;)

8. sojourner

Eh, there's enough things in the game to screw up without worrying whether I have the right angle, power, and length of burn for a maneuver.
    Potential failure? Oh yes. all the time. The kicker is that the potential is not intentional. Remember, these are mods written by amateurs (talented though they may be) for a game that is still only in .18 release.

9. Asbo Zaprudder

The control systems in the *Jeb mods appear to suffer from underdamping and so overshoot their target setting quite a lot - possibly because reliable information about moment of inertia is not available.

10. sojourner

I never had any issues with underdamping. Of course I haven't tried it since 1.0.3 came out.

11. Asbo Zaprudder

I might have a go at hacking a fix as it shouldn't require much advanced knowledge of C#, just a little research on SharpDevelop. It's not high on my to-do list though.

12. TheGodBen

Bah, I'm halfway through my project of landing probes on all the worlds in the game when they release an update with a new one. Damn them for adding content! :p

By the way, Saturn0660, if you haven't bought the game yet it is on sale for 25% off until Christmas. It's probably the cheapest it will be for a long while.

13. sojourner

Seems there was a pretty big nerf to RCS in the .18.2 release of Kerbal yesterday. The problem may not be with mechjeb.

14. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope i didn't buy it.. Now i need to.

15. Asbo Zaprudder

I read that previously there was a bug in the physics engine that allowed you to attain orbit on RCS power alone - just by placing the thrusters far enough away from the centre of mass. Wacky...

16. sojourner

Yep. It was more of an exploit. Squad was trying to model thrusters having more torque farther away from the COM. It worked too well you could say. So they ditched that bit of code.

17. TheGodBen

It looks like my wishes have been granted; 0.19 will introduce re-entry heat and some improvements to atmospheric drag, with further improvements in 0.20.

18. sojourner

I hear they are moving to Unity 4 for the game engine, so we should see some performance improvements. Which means bigger ships!

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I so need to get this game. It's sounding better and better the more I hear about it.

20. TheGodBen

And the move to Unity 4 should be coming in 0.18.3, which will be out in the next few weeks. I might be able to visit my space station again without risking my computer melting.

It's definitely the game I'm most excited for right now. It still needs a lot of work, but the team developing it seem to be moving in the right direction, and it's unlike any other game being developed right now (that I know of). Besides, there's something very relaxing about watching a satellite fly in a low orbit across the surface of another world.

I completed my mission to land a probe on every body in the system a few weeks ago, but that wore me out a bit and I haven't played it since then. Tylo was definitely the greatest challenge, it's high gravity and no atmosphere meant I had to have a stage dedicated to killing its orbital velocity, followed by a sky-crane that landed the probe then flew away to crash. Pol was the most fun landing, I landed on a 30° slope, managed to stay upright, and then spent the next two minutes uncontrollably skidding down the hill.

[​IMG]