Spoilers TP: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jun 17, 2012.

?

Rate Raise the Dawn.

1. Outstanding

84 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Above Average

26 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Average

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I decided to go back to Olympus Descending to see if anything was mentioned about Weyoun; it mentions that Odo retrieved a device from Weyoun after his death in "What You Leave Behind", which contained his memories and knowledge.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

This was an incredible book. What can I say that wasn't already said? This book featured ots of great character moments and even more political intrigue, everything that I love about like most of George's books (Plagues of Night, Serpents Among the Ruins, Rough Beasts of Empire). The highlights of this book were Gell Kamemor's daring visit to Earth (I loved the honorable nature of Admiral Devik) and showdown with Nan Bacco, Kira's sacrifice (I'm certain we'll see her again), Sisko/Kasidy/Kira's co-vision (and gave us a truly satisfying conclusion to Sisko's arc), and finally seeing the end of Tomalak's and Sela's scheming.

One thing that caught my attention towards the end of the book and was surprised that it wasn't addressed was Odo's goal of informing the Federation about the Romulan's use of a phase cloak for the equipment theft. It's been stated several times in the last few Tython Pact books (particularly the George books) that the Romulan's are quietly using the phase cloak without the intention of letting anyone (including their Tyhon allies) knowing about it as a means of defense. Not only that, but it was one of the few policies that Gell Kamemor carried from Tal'aura's reign. With Odo's knowledge of its existence, I figure that this will create a new rift between Kamemor and Bacco and I was surprised it was brought up. I guess this a hanging thread that will be addressed in a future book?

Honestly I wish this book and Plagues of Night had been originally released as one large hardback but I know that wouldn't have been marketable and that I'm in the vast minority in loving to read large hardbacks. Hell, my next book is Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312 which a pretty hefty book in itself.

As much as I love this book, one thing does bother me: the dishonest nature of the cover. Yes, we finally see the mostly built new Deep Space 9 at the every end of the book (and with an one year time jump!) but the wormhole is no longer operational. I really can't stand misleading covers like this and I thought it was something that wasn't done anymore. Not a big gripe but an annoyance nonetheless.

3. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

There's no real indication that the Wormhole is gonna be gone for long, so I don't think the cover is lying, exactly....

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think "lying" or "dishonest" is a needlessly strong term. Not all covers are meant to be literal representations of moments or events within the novel. Sometimes they're more symbolic, more an amalgam of elements. For instance, the cover to Only Superhuman, as seen in my current avatar, doesn't depict any scene that actually happens in the novel, but is more a synthesis of elements from the opening and climactic action sequences. Yet it very nicely captures the flavor and energy of the book and the personality of its heroine.

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The cover is already 'wrong' in that the station depicted is nothing like the station described at the end of the book. So I wouldn't put my faith about future storylines on just one cover.

I do, however, agree that the wormhole probably won't be gone forever. I can understand the how and the why behind for the Prophets. One of the first actions we see them undertake in the pilot, is closing the wormhole, because they felt the presence of this linear creatures was disturbing. After Benjamin pursuaded them, they allowed travel through the wormhole. But after what some rogue elements of the TP tried to do inside the wormhole, perhaps they felt they needed to reavaluate their views on traveling through the wormhole.

I know, I know, it's a very linear way of thinking, one that wouldn't necessarily work for the Prophets. But that's sort of what I feel happened.

6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DRG III has posted a comment about this on his Facebook.

7. sherbertpi9

sherbertpi9 Ensign Newbie

Im not a regular here, so Im not sure if the author frequents these threads like some others, but can anyone tell me what class of starship the USS Brisbane is? As a born n bred Brisbanite, I'd love to know :bolian:

8. Christopher

"[A] series of construction work modules." That makes sense, since they kind of resemble the orbital office complex from TMP.

That depends. Memory Beta says there have been three different Brisbanes asserted by various works -- a Miranda-class ship in a couple of RPGs, an "Aerie-class" colony ship in the Armada II video game, and an Excelsior class in the infamously error-laden FASA TNG Officer's Manual. If the book didn't specify which it was, it could be any or none of those.

9. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Interesting comments from the author there. Perhaps Doug Drexler will get the chance to design the new DS9 for a novel next year.

10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Either Doug, or Mark Rademaker who did the Vesta and Merian class starships. He has a way of making very unique Starfleet designs.

On the other hand, Mark is working very hard on the Voyager refit. So better let Doug do it then.

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That one paragraph toward the end of the book leaves room for a lot of interpretation by different designers, doesn't it?

I've got at least fifty questions I'd ask at minimum, especially after re-reading the DS9 Tech Manual repeatedly over the last week.

12. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

I'm reading the book, and so far loving it – it has so far exceeded my expectations, and actually made me look at the first TP novel with newfound appreciation (I had considered the first TP novels to be good in general, though nothing spectacular).

The more I read Raise the Dawn, I find myself thinking that this duology, along with the previous TP novels (except the otherwise-branded Titan novel Seize the Fire and perhaps Christopher's The Struggle Within), form a kind of an arc centered on DS9-related characters and settings

(A Singular Destiny would otherwise be the start of the arc if it weren't also the start of the VGR Re-relaunch and also thepost-Destiny TNG and Titan novels ;) )

13. Christopher

^I don't recall A Singular Destiny leading into VGR in any way, and it has virtually no connection to TTN. And Losing the Peace was the first post-Destiny TNG book; I don't recall the TNG cast being in ASD. So I think it would be perfectly accurate to say that ASD is the beginning of, or at least the prologue to, the Typhon Pact series. After all, it is the book that introduced the Pact.

14. SolidusRaccoon

SolidusRaccoon Ensign Red Shirt

First off I am a huge DS9 fan, and when they started the book relaunch so many years ago I was ecstatic. I read every book voraciously and was well pleased. But once Rough Beasts of Empire hit I was not a merry man. THe sudden turn in Sisko's character had me very displeased.

But now after Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn I am happy again. Sisko got his head back on straight and the story was top notch. It was good to see all of the characters I have loved and to see what directions their lives have taken. It was like watching the series again. I laughed, cried, and felt joy.

I am sure the Celestial Temple will be back. We have seen it "shut down for repairs" before. And I am sure that we have not seen the last of Kira.

15. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

From what I recall, the plotline of B'Ellana and Miral "dying" was set up in ASD (one of the "report" sections).

As for TTN and TNG, IIRC they referenced the Voyager/Full Circle fleet (TTN - your very own Over a Torrent Sea) and the TP (the end / epilogue of Losing the Peace?)

But I see your point, Christopher - ASD and the recent duology can be seen as the beginning and end of an arc, at least IMO.

16. Christopher

That plot development was created by Kirsten for Full Circle, and Keith just inserted a subtle tease for it in ASD. It doesn't make sense to refer to that tiny little throwaway Easter egg in Keith's book as the "start" of Kirsten's series.

All of us doing the first wave of post-Destiny books coordinated our efforts for consistency and inserted passing nods to each other's books as appropriate. I believe I was specifically asked by Marco Palmieri to insert a line or two acknowledging the emergence of the Pact. But a passing nod is not a crossover. And I still don't recall anything in ASD that specifically referenced Titan.

17. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Ah, well then. I stand corrected.

As for the wormhole, I don't expect it to stay close either and I fully expect Kira to return eventually.

18. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was a Picard/Sisko story in one of the "Slings and Arrows" ebooks - The first year of the Enterprise E, prior to First Contact.

19. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

that's why I mentioned at the end of my last post:
    "But I see your point, Christopher - ASD and the recent duology can be seen as the beginning and end of an arc, at least IMO."

20. trash80

trash80 Commander Red Shirt

Finished reading at the weekend, very good book (though the first one of the two flowed a bit better for me).

While i enjoyed it (and the TP series in general) i am getting a bit bored of astral-politics though so hopefully some upcoming books will feature a bit of space exploration...