Why does Batman leave his mouth exposed?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Sketcher, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

That would be silly and sort of ruin the "Everyman" appeal of Bruce Wayne, along the lines of how I feel about the Extremis with Tony Stark. It turned him from simply a brilliant "every man" to someone with a degree of "super"-human ability.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

They could retcon the film every few years in the comics.

"My parents died taking me to see Jason and the Argonauts."
    "My parents died taking me to see Dirty Harry."
    "My parents died taking me to see Who Framed Roger Rabbit."
    "My parents died taking me to see Basic Instinct."
    "My parents died taking me to see Gigli."

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To show off his new veneers...
    Hoping for a Norelco endorsement...
    So he can put his chapstick on with one hand...
    He's so Botoxed he doesn't know the cowl doesn't go down that far...

Hell with it, I got nothing.:(

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Are you sure it wasn't a suicide? ;)

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

There's a (very good) Batman graphic novel called Joker which had the Joker ask Batman this very question and Batman replies, "To mock you."

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually knowing that his teeth would get punched out every other night... Bruce, if he was sensible, would have had his teeth removed and had dozens of perfectly passable and identical dentures to wear as Bruce Wayne and the Batman made before he began his one man war on crime.

:D

Contrary to that, there was a 60s Batman TV episode where Robin was tied up and falling down one of those huge mile high chimneys you find at a factory and Batman threw a Batarang after him which Robin caught in teeth and after Batman had pulled him back up, Burt says something like "Holy good oral hygiene Batman! It's a good thing I believe in brushing after every meal."

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Few knew his secret weapon in the war on crime: chronic halitosis.

8. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Bat-breath...

Worked for Jack Sparrow... :vulcan:

9. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Are you sure Bruce didn't kill them outside the theater and blame it on Joe Chill? :evil:

10. Guy Gardener

Zero-Hour took Joe Chill out of the Equation.

Joe was detoxing off heroin when he was supposed to be blowing away the Waynes.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

In this day and age, I wonder if the whole idea of the Waynes going to a movie theater at all might be anachronistic. If they're so rich, wouldn't they have a fancy home-theater system in Wayne Manor? For that matter, why were they attending a theater in such a bad part of town in the first place, and why were they walking instead of being chauffeured?

Although I think the idea in the Bronze Age, when "Crime Alley" was introduced, was that Park Row was only starting to go into decline when the Waynes were murdered, that that was the harbinger of its deterioration into the cesspool it became.

12. Guy Gardener

Which is why Leslie built a clinic exactly there?

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

In the modern re-telling, they are murdered when they step outside to see if the broadband cable has come out and that is why Netflix's has stopped.

Mark Waid recently did an update of Captain America's origins where the first President he meets is Obama which is sorta nice and the Punisher is now a Gulf war veteran.

14. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doesn't matter. He doesn't live in our world so who knows when Batman's Hollywood has released yet another Zorro film. Even in our real world, Zorro has seen many releases on the big screen (there's even a reboot in the works) and thus, it was a timeless choice. "Finding Nemo?" That's a very specific film from a very specific studio with a very specific release strategy. Doesn't work.

At the time of Detective Comics #27's release, Zorro was about to have his fourth feature and third actor in the role in the US. But Zorro hasn't had just a US film history. There have been some Mexican and many European productions as well. Perhaps the Waynes went to a quaint theater that shows foreign films and it happened to be a Zorro picture?

15. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

"Brilliant everyman" is kind of an oxymoron, don't you think?

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Even before you get into the powers aspect - difficult to describe a capitalist weapons manufacturer who has benefited from significant inherited wealth and is part of the military–industrial complex as an 'everyman'.

17. Christopher

Again -- the movie wasn't identified as The Mark of Zorro until 1986, in The Dark Knight Returns. Before that it was just an unspecified movie. And Detective Comics #27 didn't say anything about Batman's origin -- the story wasn't told until #33 (and then reprinted in Batman #1):

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/dcmoment42.jpg

Note that it says the Waynes were walking home from a movie some 15 years before, which would've been 1924. It wouldn't even have been a talkie.

18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. As much as I love Zorro, and as little as I care for Batman Begins, I gotta say Nolan made the right call by sending 'em to an opera.

19. Christopher

^Right, because opera's a much more modern art form than movies. ;)

But seriously, yeah, it makes sense that it would be some kind of live performance they could only see in a theater. And BB's version, where Bruce is in the alley because he ran out of the performance, makes more sense than having this rich family just walking along the streets in a dangerous part of town.

20. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't he send them to Fledermaus? Huge mistake. It's a light operetta, hardly something that would cause a bat to be seen as a frightening symbol of terror... or something.