STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Haha, I guess it does make sense because even in TNG they only had that shitty Mars defense line to try stop The Borg which was about 3 shuttles. I'm just hoping to see something like First Contact, but with an even bigger budget.

I agree, it was a little too parodyish even though looking back I didn't mind it.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Is it any different to ST:TMP being a remake of "The Changeling"?

As a Trek newbie in December 1979, I had absolutely no idea of the storyline of "The Changeling", but for most TOS fans of the day, the blatant remake (without any of the characters remembering Nomad) was inexcusable. But movies based on TV shows aren't made for the small percentage of diehard fans who'll be in attendance - and the general public don't usually notice.

Ditto the approach of a probe in ST IV, only two movies after TMP featured the approach of a probe - and then the Klingons firing on one in ST V!

3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I loved all the fanwankiness.

I tried to explain it to my Star Trek hating husband and son. They just said 'Stop the nerd talk' and thought it was good - better than expected, better than any of the other Star Trek movies :rolleyes:

Nimoy is so cool!

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. Kirk's shout was pure theatrics. He wasn't aware they'd get to hang out in the area Marcus created, but he knew Spock and the Enterprise would be back, soon.
    It also opened up one of the biggest plot holes I thought TWOK had. How could Khan and his superior intellect ever believe he really stranded Kirk? (Buried alive, buried alive, buried alive.) He really thought no one would come looking for Kirk? Ever? Eh. Maybe his thinking was being clouded by going crazy.

5. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Khan put his people into those torpedoes, not Marcus.

6. Phily B

Oh, that makes more sense.

7. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Sorry if I appear a bit thick but did Admiral Marcus know Khans guys were in the torpedoes and why did Khan think his people were dead when he put them in there?

Maybe I'll watch it more carefully next time I see it

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The score at Rotten Tomatoes has climbed back to 89 percent.

9. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh. I knew that was a bad idea. :(

10. Phily B

I'm not sure on the Admiral Marcus part tbh.

He didn't think they were dead though, but when Spock blows them all up he thinks they are. Bones takes the cryotubes out without his knowledge.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Great Gatsby: 38% fresh
    Iron Man 77% fresh
    Oblivion: 56% fresh
    The Croods: 69% fresh

STID after 44 reviews: 89% fresh

12. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post - I really liked the redesign of the engine room. The warp core looks very much like something you'd see in a physics research institute, e.g. the LHC or some of the large plasma physics projects. It's dangerousness came across pretty well, too. Loved how it looked inside, too.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I noticed Chris Hemsworth in the credits as George Kirk. Any idea where he was? I heard a few soundbytes from the first movie when Kirk was brought back to life, but I don't recall any from him.

14. Arianna

Arianna Ensign Red Shirt

I loved the first film ST09 despite some significant plot holes. I was more a TNG fan and liked those films (well the one with the Borg anyway) but was never really a TOS fan. Only film I like in the series was the 4th one.

Anyway I had no expectations for ST09 like a lot of people and it was really good. I hadn't been following any news about it on the internet.

Maybe some true trek fans couldn't get used to seeing new faces as their favourite character but not being a dedicated TOS fan, this was not an issue for me. I have seen the other movies though so know the plots.

Which is why this was was disappointing. There is no originality. Why couldn't they come up with a new villain? A guy I used work with is a huge Star Trek fan and has been trying to avoid spoilers so the identity of the villain was a surprise to him and he thought exactly the same thing I did. I don't mind seeing characters like Khan even in a minor role but not the main villain again please.

Special effects great but the story could have been a bit more cerebral - or a lot more and you could still have plenty of action.

Plus as I've said before I was hoping Pike didn't die. I wouldn't even have minded so much if it was essential to the plot but I think Kirk getting into trouble, demoted, Pike saving/choosing him again was like the first film all over again. Plus I think the plot was forced to get Kirk to be captain just like in ST09.

Again maybe because my expectations were so high I was a bit disappointed. A friend who doesn't like Star Trek at all even knew who Khan was so was wondering why he was in it 30 odd years later? She asked was the actor not too old!?:lol:

Plus bringing Kirk back?

I thought Abrahms said there was no poing in re-hashing old Star Trek films or words to that effect?

It's a good film but I don't think it will be in anybody's top ten

15. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

16. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure it was just in that moment.

I did find it funny how oddly placed Leonard Nimoy's name was in the credits. :lol:

17. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Obviously a good thing. Although it does bear mentioning that, after about the same number of reviews, Iron Man 3 had been sitting at about 93%. It took a bit of a tumble, as you can see.

Still though, very much looking forward to it opening here.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, thanks. I'll keep an ear out when I see it again
    I missed his name totally.:p

19. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

Is it possible that the present filmmakers didn't catch on to that? Admittedly it's possible to miss it when first seeing TWoK, at least if you first saw it with a boisterous audience during premier weekend in 1982. Maybe if Shatner had winked at the camera after doing it...

20. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I almost did as I was reaching down to pick up my coat, but my friend pointed it out.