Are repoirters going away, and instead we get this???

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Hi

Here's an article about a tennis player who died much too young.

Link

If you click the video, there is a female voice telling us the story... accompanied by still images. It's obviously not a real human voice, just a computer reading off the story.

The reason I bring this up is that I've een this before. A few hours ago, I heard about a cheerleader who was almost hurt in a game and the video had the same thing
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJL4im8AMI4[/yt]

I don't like this, but I guess it's an ongoing trend.. removing humans when a computer will do.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

That is just odd.

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Could be a site trying to stand out by being different. There was a site years ago with virtual talking heads reporting headlines, though it didn't last very long. Another thought is that this could be a placeholder to give a real host the lines. I've experienced seeing two TV segments with both using the same footage and saying the same exact thing (ie written ahead of time), but a different host for each for different markets.

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The link is dead. Here's the article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ta-degtiareva-dies-of-heart-failure-at-age-23

You'll notice that the video's text is in Russian. They used the computerized voice so they could distribute the video to English-speaking readers/viewers. That's usually where you'll encounter the computerized voice videos; foreign news reports translated into English.

Also, the second video you posted is just an individual's YouTube link, not a news agency, so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they're replacing reporters at actual major news agencies from that. The account-holder's name is English-sounding, so maybe the person just isn't good at delivering his lines and he wanted to use a computerized voice instead.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

The point is I've seen it before. Usually it's when there's an incidental news story out, but no actual video was taken. When you look it up on Youtube, there is a list of videos, but since there's no actual video of the said incident, many YouTube users (there will be more than one.. in fact, many... in the results...) will put still shots and use a computerized voice to read off the news story.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, and when a trailer for a movie comes out, 900 numbnuts on YouTube label their fanmade video the "Official" trailer too. It doesn't mean movie trailers are going away, it just means idjits on YouTube want attention for their fanmade trailer.

Likewise, you have people wanting to make their own cheap YouTube news aggregator, and because they're poor speakers or non-English speakers, they often use these computerized voices to read the copy for them, and use a still image instead of a copyrighted segment that could get them flagged.

It doesn't mean legitimate media reporters are in any serious danger from this (they have bigger problems), it's just a silly quirk of YouTube and other online video sites.

I'd recommend finding better sources of news.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Reporters went away years ago, have you seen CNN lately?

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope the CHEER-leeedr is OK.