STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It has been so damaging that it is the number one film on iTunes here in the States and looks like it will do mega-business when the Blu-ray/DVD comes out.

But I can see where you might assume it caused the "wheels to fall off". :guffaw:

2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not at all - my point is:

- Simon Pegg is calling that poll bullshit. (As are most Star trek fans - just look at the responses to the article.)

- All other evidence (Talking to fans directly; and OTHER wider ranging fan polls (IE more than just 100 people); say otherwise.

Again, the response to Phantom Menace by fans and critics, etc. do support that that film is not highly thought of - and not just appearing that way on one very small sample poll.

3. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The fact only a hundred people were polled gives a movie star the right to publicly abuse them all verbally?

I don't buy it at all, so I feel zero regret in publicly calling out Simon Pegg's Scotty performance to be fucking shit :). What a douche.

4. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Abuse...that's the world to use. Man, you're good at hyperbole.

It's annoying because stories like that farce of a poll seem to reinforce the public notion that most Trekkies hate these films, which is not the case. It's only a loud, small, obnoxious group.

5. DalekJim

I think you need to care less about what the public think, you'll be happier and less stressed out.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Again I don't give two craps about what they like or don't like because their honestly not that important in the grand scheme of things.

I just want them to get that going on about it for 4 years is pathetic and frankly annoying as hell.

I think you need to take your own advice.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I think we should probably move away from dispensing personal advice at this point, and get back to discussing the movie. The poll already has a thread of its own, and discussion thereof may be conducted in that thread without the necessity of it being alluded to here as well.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, reality is a bit more complex than that. Some movies display a lack of originality and attempt to sell the audience rehash of better movies they've already seen; others don't.

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Actually it doesn't need to be anymore complex than that. Did it entertain you: yes or no? Anything beyond that is a matter of clarification of an opinion.

You (general sense of the word) can apply whatever metric you want, however you want. And you might have an opinion that is shared by a great many people. But the ultimate decision of whether or not a movie is good or bad boils down to the individual and needs to be no more complex than a simple yes or no question.

10. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To be fair, I do get annoyed when people rag on incessantly about the Star Wars prequels too. I recognize the flaws in those movies, but I can't believe people are still beating that dead horse more than 13 years after the Phantom Menace came out. They're not perfect, but they're not that bad.

There's just this tendency...I guess it's their passion, that make some fans so genuinely offended at a less than perfect movie. And Star Trek fans are passionate. Those who hate the film have been complaining about it everywhere, from Youtube, to each and every one of the pop culture websites I go to, to Facebook. They're not the majority by any means, but they're very loud. I'm afraid it's something I really don't understand.

Now as for the my rating of Into Darkness, I need to see the film again. I have a suspicion that I like it better than Star Trek 2009, which has been one of my favorite Trek films, but I can't tell until I get a rewatch.

11. Set Harth

But it is. I'm not talking about what it "needs" to be, whatever that means, but what it is. It is more complex than just a bunch of people who were entertained and a bunch of people who weren't entertained, with no particular reason for any of it.

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Again, it isn't more complex than that. Not everyone needs to analyze the "Why" behind whether they like a movie or not. Sometimes, "I just do" or "I don't" is reason enough.

It's great fodder for a messageboard, but on average people that go see movies for entertainment aren't worried about anything beyond "Am I enjoying this"

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

But spare a thought for the people who don't want to hear people going on about how good it is for another four years. What if they find that pathetic and annoying? ;)

It's a discussion board. Sometimes you'll agree with people, sometimes you'll disagree. You'll almost certainly come across people you can't stand. It's just the way it is. ...Some things will never chaaange. ♪ ♫

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

the ones that like it aren't bringing the film up in threads that have nothing to do with it or repeating the same debunked thing over and over again.

And its not really a discussion when one side keeps thinking their dislike of the films makes them a "real fan" and how anyone who doesn't agree is one of the "drooling masses"

Plus at least the ones who like the films have seen the shows they're are based on. I have no idea what the guys who are complaining have watched but it sure as hell wasn't TOS.

15. AUbricklogic

AUbricklogic Ensign Red Shirt

Actually there are a lot of cases where people who like it are going out of their way to bring it up over and over again and the ones who didn't like it are the ones responding. This is not a one-way street.

This is a stereotype that represents an incredibly tiny portion of the people who had concerns over the film. There's no such thing as a "real" or "mass" fan, we're all fans or we wouldn't be here posting like proud Trek nerds. Concerns and criticism =/= mindless hate statements. There will always be extremists in any faction but judging the whole on a select few is wrong.

Another generalized statement that bears little significance or meaning other than as a broad stereotypical statement. As Spock would say, its clear your emotions are clouding your judgement just as their emotions are clouding theirs.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I have two criteria for movies: Did it entertain me? Do I want to revisit it again? In my opinion, if you're looking at a movie for anything more than that, you're doing it wrong.

Star Trek Into Darkness entertained me and I want to see it again even though I've seen it four times in the theater. So I consider it a successful movie. If it didn't entertain you then you can say you didn't think it was successful.

I think constructive criticism of a movie can be great (there are a great many flaws in Into Darkness), but much of what I see in this forum isn't constructive. It's butt-hurt from people who aren't getting the Star Trek that they somehow feel that they deserve. Those people who are butt-hurt are simply trying to denigrate something that others enjoy because they haven't gotten their way.

Went to see The World's End last night with the wife who is a huge fan of Simon Pegg and the movies that he makes. I found myself staring at the ceiling, staring at the floor and pretty much twiddling my thumbs all the way through at the poor acting and bad dialogue (but then I'm not a great judge because I'm not really into British humor) but I'm not going to tear the movie down because it isn't something I wanted to see. Beyond making sure she enjoyed herself and maybe voting in a poll about it, I'll probably not think about it again until the inevitable Blu-ray that I'll have to view.

Same thing with Voyager. What exactly would I be proving by going in that forum and pissing on something that other folks enjoy?

17. DalekJim

STID had a few entertaining elements and I did give it a more than fair grade of a "C-" in this poll. Too much of it was lackluster and undeveloped though for me to heap the excessive praise that lots on here give it. The script had the basic elements of a good movie, but it lacked any kind of structure or coherence. People rag on it for ripping off Wrath of Khan, but I thought it relied way too much on recycling the previous movie.

If Benedict Cumberbatch wasn't so great in this film, I'd possibly have given it a D. It's a series of promising set-pieces with very little holding them together.

18. Set Harth

I really wish they hadn't spoiled that "John Harrison" was an alias prior to release.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

That was bad marketing.

I preferred it when he was John Harrison. They could have kept the augment angle: Make him a new generation cooked up by Marcus based on Khan and his people DNA; had him be a follower of Khan--if we had to have Khan in the movie--with Khan being one of the people in the torpedo. Or just cut Khan out beyond: Section 31 restarted the augment program, the research that made Khan was the master template that they "improved on"; Harrison is pissed at being used and is out to kick everyone's ass--maybe driven batty by the whole "superior genes breeds superior ambition" side of the process.

20. AUbricklogic

AUbricklogic Ensign Red Shirt

I would've enjoyed seeing this sort of storyline a whole lot more. The whole point of Nu-Trek was to reboot in a different timeline thus opening up the possibility of being similar to the already-made incarnations without having to recycle the storylines.

What better way to show you're really in a DIFFERENT universe than to take the most iconic and pivotal villain in the Prime universe and show he's not so central to this universe? If anything a universe without the Khan saga would truly send the message "THIS IS DIFFERENT... but we can still toss in homages you'll understand ;)"