Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

To be fair though, the first season is about getting to know the characters. It's a lot easier to do "heart" later on when we really know and care for the characters.

Come tell us what you think when you hit episodes like "Luck of the Fryrish" and "Jurassic Bark". :wah:

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

You are not watching the same show as the rest of us.

The first season is very sitcomy, about getting to know the characters. The best seasons is 4/5 (Volume four on the DVDs).

Nixon is awesone, have you watched the Nixon episodes?

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The only episode I remember from the first season from the first season that I thought was a really good episode was the first Zapp Brannigan episode.

Besides that I remember a lot of lame song setups (Robot hell, Hermes bureaucracy), the writers being obsessed with aliens eating humans, setups designed around making 20th century celebrity references (Beastie Boys, Pamela Anderson, etc), and all the characters basically being cynically opportunistic and compulsive. The writers had a pattern back then of commenting on current politics by having everybody rephrase their commentary as an accepted fact of the future.

I think the episode that finally made me quit as the Amazon episode. "Didn't you tell them lack of good fundamental make up for lack of ability to dunk?" Okay we get it, WNBA stupid. Stop relying on current references, it's a show about the future damn it!

I'm going to try watching it through on Netflix, I suppose maybe I'll change my mind.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Every work of fiction about the future is really about the present.

6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Correct.

:techman:

7. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

By that asinine belief, every work of fiction, period, is really about the present. Hell, even non-fiction, since the only way that's even remotely true is if you really stretch logic to the breaking point.

It's the same kind of stupidity that college professors use when they try to explain all the intricate, overcomplicated thoughts Shakespeare had behind the writing every single letter of his works.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a very solid finale. Better than "Devil's Hands" and "Overclocked" and definitely better than "Wild Green Yonder".

9. bigdaddy

All the time in high school of me saying "How do you know what he means? Have you met him?!"

I agree. This one, Devil's Hands, Overclocked (I'd like it more with less Bender) and Wild Green Yonder was just odd.

10. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OThQqFcdog[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_MBFxSEpqo[/yt]

11. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know everything is derivitive of something else, but all I could think of while watching the finale was Stargate SG-1's finale, "Unending."

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I would revise that to say, every work of fiction about the future is about the human condition in general, removed from the facts of the present.

Yes, most of great science fiction parallels problems of the present. But not specific elements of the present. Not specific people who are alive in present day or specific organizations. The more verbatim specific the analogies get, the less they tend to work. For instance, the environment episode from TNG.

I watched a few first season episodes and my feeling is that the premises for the episodes are awesome but the jokes aren't funny. I think the reason I like the newer episodes better is that they focus on letting the jokes flow from the characters based on science fiction tropes. Not just making specific references to specific things in present day.

13. Christopher

That depends on the particular work. A lot of characters in classic SF have been allegories for the Communists or the Nazis or Joseph McCarthy or what-have-you.

That's not an early/late divide. Just about any era of Futurama has a mix of stories that use science fiction ideas to drive a character-based narrative (e.g. "Parasites Lost," "Time Keeps on Slippin'," or "The Sting") and stories that are just riffs on present-day trends with vague trappings of future technology (like "Raging Bender," "Bender Should Not Be Allowed on TV," or "Attack of the Killer App").

You say you've only seen the first and last seasons so far. Well, the last season has a lot of the strengths that developed after the first season, but those strengths arose far sooner, and the last season is not as strong overall as the intermediate seasons were.

14. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the finale was sweet. Fry and Leela get married and grow old together.

15. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Came across this and thought it was cool.

[​IMG]

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Hell, I couldn't even do the pattern on his jacket let alone the rest.

17. bigdaddy

I have a question about the finale.

They walked all over the planet, they walked on water to get places and didn't sink in. Yet when they drank their wine the wine moved. How did that work?

18. Christopher

Chronitons are lighter than air, so they floated upward, flowing around the objects Fry and Leela interacted with, but not sinking down to affect things below their feet.

(Just read it in the Professor's voice, and it'll work.)

19. bigdaddy

But the bubble didn't go up 260 stories. :-p

20. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fabulous finale, so much for fitting than the others. My wife and I were teary-eyed.

I have one and only one issue!
    When the Professor takes Zoidberg's ten dollars and then resets time...why doesn't Zoidberg have the ten dollars again? Later, when Fry goes in and steals the diamonds, he keeps taking the same one over and over again. So what was up with Zoidberg's ten dollar bill?