any "Radio Voices" you can't stand to listen to?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by backstept, Aug 18, 2009.

1. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I cut her some slack because she's got a vocal disorder called spasmodic dysphonia; she had to quit broadcasting completley for a while and can only do it now with frequent therapy treatments (Botox in the vocal cords, I believe).

--Justin

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I can't believe no Briton has said Steve Wright (rhymes with)

3. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Jo Whiley, puts all her pauses in the ... wrong places.

Sara Cox, even when she's sober she's drunk.

4. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

I swear if I ever meet Rick & Bubba, i'll crush thier voiceboxes

5. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

No. Michael Savage is just an asshole who blathers on about his own importance and insults his own listeners. His importance, by the way, is completely made up by Michael Savage. Liberal/conservative has little to do with it.

6. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Did not know that. I stand somewhat chastised.

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I'm actually curious if there are any pre-1994 recordings of her available on-line, so I can hear what she sounded like originally. I found a couple of interesting profiles that talk about her disorder, but not much else so far. Her show's page only goes back to when she started doing it again in '99.

Her voice has improved tremendously in the last few years, though, as she's tried new therapies and treatments.

8. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Dr Laura, Rush Limberger, Imus, -hey, wait a minute! I just realized-I hate talk radio in general! So, um, I guess my answer is : Everyone! Bring on the DJ-free JACKFM!

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Diamondbacks announcers. They mispronounce names.
    The Pirates announcers. All around boring. Don't blame them though.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm fairly conservative and even *I* think all those talk radio types are total :censored: s. Can't stand any of them. Especially Savage. He really lives up to his last name. And Jerry Doyle's relevance ended when B5 did.

Limbaugh wore out what little welcome he had, years ago, so I'm not too concerned about what that pompous windbag might still have to say.

11. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

LMAO!!! As soon as I saw the thread title, the first person I thought of was Daniel Schorr. :lol:

And I totally agree with you about the mouth noise.

Locally, we have a woman who is the local host of "All Things Considered", and I sometimes literally have to change the station if she's on more than a couple seconds: Dolores Handy. Not only is her voice annoyingly nasal, but she has a consistently annoying way of pronouncing certain words (the program "On Point" is pronounced "On Po-unt"), but she just mangles about a third of whatever it is she's supposed to be reading. Makes me NUTS! :scream:

12. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I like Chris Evans. He's found his niche once again, if you ask me. :bolian:

My hate list still consists of Nicky Campbell, Alan Carr (but not Paul O'Grady), and The Emperor Wogan (but not Ken Bruce). :klingon:

Also agreed with Steve Wright In The Afternoon™, Sara Cox, and Chris Moyles. :klingon: :klingon:

Oh, and also Wossy.

13. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Everyone on the Chris Moyles show. It's part of the reason I don't listen to radio anymore.

I also hate my own - probably a self loathing thing, but unless I put on my promo voice, I sounds like a git.

14. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Wiener?

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Mark Levine.

It's like listening to Gilbert Gottfried suck-off a goat.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Not following... :confused:

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Savage's real last name is Wiener.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

That explains a lot.

19. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even though I know Diane Rehm's voice is caused by various health problems, I find her very difficult to listen to. She sounds like she's about to drop dead, which is...well, kind of distracting. I don't think I'd have a problem listening to a regular person in real life with a similar problem, but radio magnifies everything, and I do find her very hard to listen to. She is a great interviewer, though, and I admire NPR for sticking with her, so I hope she continues to improve.

But Diane Rehms is INfinitely better than...Paul...Harvey. Who is no longer with us, but whose "distinctive" voice and delivery is so "distinctive" that I fear I'll still be able to hear it until the day I die. And I don't want to, I don't want to, I don't want to!

20. payndz201

payndz201 Commodore Commodore

Ha! I was going to post Jeremy Vine, although for different reasons. I can't stand his oily, smarmy "and how did that make you feel?" when he's trying to build up a sympathy angle in the human-interest stories. And when he's doing his pre-show links with Ken Bruce (who I do like), he always has an intensely smug "I'm so much better and smarter than you" attitude, which he tries to hide behind a fake laugh when Ken takes the piss out of him.