Would you like a bsg style reboot of Star trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Faria, May 18, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No thanks.

2. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, a self-aware computer is more plausible than an elevator moving sideways...:rolleyes:

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:guffaw:

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the things that Ron Moore did, and JJ Abrams didn't do, was change around the main characters genders and races, i.e. Boomer went from a Black man to a Asian female. It would have been interesting to have had something like this in Star Trek. All the characters who were White males stayed that way, Uhura remained a Black female, Sulu a Asian male. None of the Humans became Aliens.

Missed opportunity.

As others have noted, this would simply not be Star Trek. It would be possible to have a sci-fi series where Humans spread into the galaxy (encountering no Aliens in the process), multiple and divide into factions and alliances, base the show around that. Just not Star Trek, some changes would be possible, but that would be cutting into something really basic.

Enterprise (imho) should of had guns that shot bullets, and just plain old missiles with explosives (and occasional nukes). The other series at times did go too far with the re-adjusting the servo that opens the Captain's ready room door and turning it into a weapon that saves the day. Through the years, many fans have complained about the "technobabble" solutions to the weekly problem.

The devices you mention have probably though the years been given too much in the ways of magical abilities. The transporter debatably should have remain only a way of getting from place to place. The replicator given limitations beyond stiff power requirements. Also, the 24th centuries medical advances made less miracle-like. The sensors a little slower. The computer less "full" of the exact information our heroes needed.

The Survivors was a better episode because in that case, the computers and sensors didn't tell Picard in a few second who and what Kevin Uxbridge was. In many episodes they would have. Picard had to put the pieces together himself.

Janeway and Torres (together): "Warp particles."

There are time when the show could have maintained more cohesion with prior events. One example, after they decided to change Jadzia Dax facial makeup (and make her species honest about carrying a symbiote), would it have been all that hard to change the name of her species? She still could have been carrying a larval Goa'uld, just not be of the Trill species.

I would agree that TPTB have gone to the well too often with this, and time travel should be permanently retired.

This would be a great refinement of the show.

So a bit like Andromeda, where Earth is the armpit of the three galaxies?

:devil:

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That sounds like the Honorverse. Which would indeed make a really cool film or series, although they might have to tweak things a bit (like the fact that every major civilization in that universe has spaceships that look exactly the same).

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh, I remember that seaQuest had a tram, aka a vertical turbolift, because the submarine was the length of an aircraft carrier. Of course, since it's a submarine, it had no need for an horizontal elevator, just a vertical cab. And of course, the tram was the least of the show's worries. A vertical "turbolift" makes sense.

But considering that Starfleet vessels are usually much taller, wider, and longer than a floating city that is an aircraft carrier (indeed, many times the size of an airport terminal), a turbolift is more than sensible. I would think the only thing that a show would want to fix is, why would a turbolift need to fight gravity to work (see: Disaster).

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Isn't that what we have ? A meaner, more modern Trek ?

So... not Star Trek, then ? Haven't we seen all that in other series and franchises ? You don't seem to like Star Trek very much.

And did I just read that you don't like horizontal turbolifts ??

8. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I'd like to see some of the good traits of BSG integrated into Trek, sure. But I wouldn't want to see a reboot of Trek that artificially forced it into being a BSG clone. But yeah, I'd love to see the caliber of writing (miniseries - season 3) that BSG had, along with:
    1) a slightly more formal military attitude in Trek
    2) a wide and varied cast of interesting supporting characters
    3) main characters that have a great deal of complexity
    4) arching stories

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Deep Space Nine!

10. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I'd love a BSG style reboot, but I'd want the polar opposite tone taken. BSG was way too depressing, I like Trek for the universe it is set in, the ideals it talks about etc. I think a mix between DS9 and TNG would be good.

11. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't mind seeing a show more Firefly-esque show, maybe even a sequel series set in the same universe, or just something in the same vein.

Given that our space travel hasn't improved much since the lunar landings, relatively speaking, I think realistically, even Enterprise was very optimistic about having the technology they did and ability to travel as far as they did.

If a series like this was based in the 23rd century where FTL travel had just been discovered and only in use for like 20 years, and Earth was just starting to venture out into other solar systems and only a handful of habitable and colonize-able planets have been discovered, that might be more realistic. Maybe some planets could even have ruins of an alien civilization, but they died out millions of years prior, and aren't in the show.

One of the things I liked about both Firefly and Babylon 5, or even the game Colony Wars is the concept of an oppressive Earth government forcing its will on Earth colonies far away, and colonies uniting together to break away from Earth's control, thus paralleling what happened with the US and other nations in the Americas. Could be nice material for some allegories to our daily lives.

12. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes to all of this plus - more women.

You could certainly set the show during a war but not have the entire series be set around that war. A 5-year mission is definitely more fun.

Personally, I thought Nu BSG missed a trick. A whole season set on Carillon with a modern take on the ovions (and Cassiopeia!) would have been great fun.

13. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Gah ! I was about to post that.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That really isn't the same thing. Both BSGs are about the last remnants of civilization on the run from the Cylons who are bent on wiping them out. The two shows present this idea in a different way, original was a campy space opera while nu was a dreary soap opera. The presence or lack of aliens or consistent science or whatever is immaterial to the core storyline.

But with Star Trek, you take away aliens and fanciful science and all that stuff and you don't have Star Trek anymore. That's the trick with reboots, stray too far from the source material and you might as well just create something new. And what you're suggesting is straying more from what Star Trek is than nu BSG strayed from the original.

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not even certain if the OP concept allows for artificial gravity, which is certainly "magic" technology. It would be tricky to do a show without it.

16. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I could maybe see this working a reboot of Enterprise, but TOS and TNG are just too far in the future to limit the technology to what we have on BSG. If anything Star Trek has underestimated humanity's technological development more often than it's overestimated it.

If I had to compare BSG Colonial society to us, I'd say they were not more than a couple of decades past us if you take away their FTL and artificial gravity. Hell, I would not be surprised to see something like a Cylon invented in my lifetime. Star Trek is just too far down the road for that.

17. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

There's NOTHING wrong with the holodeck (or any other aspect of Star Trek), period.

I respectfully suggest that you not watch Star Trek in the future if you need to have what you've mentioned on your list. Perhaps other kinds of written or visual sci-fi would be more to your liking.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see another TV series like that, but with all those things it wouldn't have any resemblance to Star Trek. So why call it Trek?

At the very least you need aliens and space exploration. You could scale back the convenience of the the technology, make the demeanor more formal. The for it to be Star Trek the root of the show would have to be humanity going out and dealing with aliens. It could bring the idea of humanity constantly improving itself into tighter scrutiny and make the aliens a bit more utilitarian in dealing with Earth, of course.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The show that the OP describes wouldn't even be recognizable as Star Trek, in contrast to nuBSG being clearly recognizable as BSG.

20. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

For me, the tagline for BSG is "rag-tag fugitive fleet." That's what makes the show. Both interpretations had that.

For Star Trek, it is "strange new worlds, new life, and new civilizations."

I might enjoy the show the OP proposes, but it's not Star Trek, not the way I understand it.