Why is Nemesis hated so much?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Kuro Pit, Jun 26, 2012.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Before Abrams, nobody was ever given a big budget to begin with.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Robert Wise was.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That's, like, 9 films with low budget, each of them feeding upon the sets and props created for the first film.

4. Silversmok3

Silversmok3 Commander Red Shirt

OK. Point 1: Why does Shinzon want to "get to know" a man he hates and will eventually kill? Crusher said that the blood procedure would probably kill Picard. Considering Shinzon had but a week to live,he'd be better served skipping the Romulan ale and biscuits.

Point 2:Destroying Earth would be bad news, to be sure. But destroy the Federation? That's like saying nuking Washington D.C. is going to destroy America. It wouldn't be a good thing , but there are other planets in the Federation besides Earth.

Point 3:Shinzon may hate Romulans, but he's a 25 year old man. As one myself, when I see a hot chick I see a hot chick. Political motivations don't come into things at all. As the events of Slavery prove, just because the object of your desires is a member of an oppressive caste doesn't mean biology ceases to matter. I daresay sleeping with Donatra made more sense from a political perspective too;ill bet she'll be much less likely to turn on a Praetor who rocks her world in the sack.

The alternative was using the Viceroy to mind rape a 40 year old woman. The ruler of all of the Romulan Empire,a guy who has females of the caste which oppressed him for so long just THROWING themselves at him, cant get his rocks off unless hes mentally raping a 40 year old counselor. :rofl:

I could stop right here, but ill mention the Argo. Starfleet has transporters. They literally do not need a wheeled vehicle for anything. They may as well have stuck a horse n Buggy in the back of the shuttle, for all the purposes the wheeled ARGO served.

If a Starfleet member needs to travel-combadge-> "TRANSPORTER ROOM, BEAM ME HERE--> *special effect*--> bam.

5. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. Budget restrictions compared to other films.

6. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

Shinzon had issues. He also distinctly told Donatra she was not a woman but merely a Romulan. I think he got off on the power more than Troi.

It was said quite clearly that they couldn't transport due to interference/ion storms, it also meant their tricorders were limited, a wheeled vehicle makes sense when you need to cover vast distances without technology

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  7. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Actually, why not just use the shuttlecraft? It flies, it can hover above ground, offers more protection and you can land right next to the parts. If there's a problem, you can control it with a remote control.

8. NrobbieC

Dunno, less chance of attracting attention from the pre-warp people?

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

And how did that work out? I seem to remember our characters driving all the way back to their shuttle all while Worf was SHOOTING the pre-warp people like they were evil nazis. If they had just used the shuttle the entire time, all they would have to do is ascend and leave.

But let's be honest. If they were so dead set on not attracting any attention, they shouldn't have gone during the day time.

10. NrobbieC

They were more shooting at them as a method of distraction but yeah there's some Prime Directive breaking going on there, in fact no one even mentioned it.

11. Pawleygirl

Pawleygirl Ensign Red Shirt

I really didn't hate Nemesis. I just think it was poorly put together. Those missing scenes would have made the movie better for sure. What bothers me about the movie is that it almost seems like they were trying to hard to make everyone like the movie instead of appeasing the core fans. Insurrection was the worst and I didn't totally mind star trek generations except for that stewpid time thing that made zero sense.

12. Maple Dog

Maple Dog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nemesis is an ok movie if you're not familiar with ST,to me the thing that doesn't make me like it,is that they made it like some cheap clone of TWOK,with the bad guy wanting his vengeance against Picard and the federation,for something they had nothing to do with,when all of his hatred should have been directed at the romulans,and the part where Data upload his personality in B4 kind of cheapen his sacrifice.

As others have said Lore would have been the logical choice for B4,would have open the door to a what if story,who could have possibly stole or conspired with the enemy to give them the "body" of Lore.