Cities Skylines: SimCity's Successor

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Robert Maxwell, Mar 10, 2015.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the same thing and had even demolished some schools to create slums to meet my need for uneducated workers. But I eventually figured out that my highly educated cims were willing to work in uneducated jobs if they were the only ones available. The solution was to zone lots of residential areas and ignore industrial demand.

In the population info view you can see the number of available jobs and the number of people employed, and you'll want to keep those number as close as possible. If you have too many jobs available then cims will abandon low skilled work in favour of office or commercial jobs. On the other hand, if you let unemployment get too high then crime will increase.

I use the Irish method for determining road layout. I imagine myself as a cow trying to get to a destination, then I throw some tarmac over the route. Job done.

2. TheGodBen

My city, currently with a population of around 90,000. I just built my first monument, the space elevator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is anyone else experiencing ridiculous death spikes? Every few years my population collapses by around 10,000 or so and then slowly rebounds. It makes maintaining my city difficult because I'm constantly fluctuating between high unemployment or lack of workers, which causes businesses to close down. Plus, I have to over supply crematoriums to collect dead bodies during the spikes. That definitely seems like a feature that needs to be ironed out.

3. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Everyone who moves in ages and dies at the same time, so if you build a nice new residential district the people moving in will be a huge death spike down the road.

It's a feature ;)

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Re: Sim City (reboot).

[​IMG]

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, death spikes are a known "issue." Each cim lives a set length of time and their (natural) deaths don't appear to be randomly distributed. They should change that so you don't get those crazy spikes.

6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Just think of it as an occasional plague sweeping through your city. :p

7. TheGodBen

From monitoring my population statistics, the death spike appears to be a double whammy. First, there's a large spike in senior citizens that causes your birth rate to plummet, leading to a population drop, and leaving your city without enough workers. Then all those seniors die and your deathcare struggles to deal with the sudden spike. I've managed to handle the latter by using cemeteries like a cache; I set them to collect bodies during a death spike, then I set them to empty into crematoriums once the spike subsides.

It seems like they could fix the problem by setting immigrants into the city to a random age. That might have some unforeseen impact on some other area of the simulation, however.

8. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Thanks to the summer steam sale, I've just started playing this game. So far I have just been familiarizing myself with the city building process. The largest population I've obtained so far is 20,000 citizens.

Its not exactly a big city, but it is large enough to have some serious traffic issues. I just created this highway-to-street junction based on my country's highway system, hopefully it will solve some of my traffic issues.

9. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Hey guys, the "After Dark" update should be out now (it was already installed here by the time I got home from work a few hours ago) and it looks pretty good.

There's 2 parts to the update - 1 part is a free update and the other is a paid DLC. But the best part, the day-night cycle, is part of the free update.

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I have a new PC, money in my Steam account and the game is 66% off, should I get it?

SPCTRE likes this.
  11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Helps not to treat folks as a problem. Now if our elected officials could understand. Like Sam Brownback--who did such a great jpb on Kansas.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

$10? Sold!

13. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I took advantage of the discount too, got After Dark for 50% off.

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Just bought it, might not get a good price drop on it again for a while.

15. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    IMO, the game is well worth full price. I've put in 1000+ hours into various cities and maps. The modding is endless!