Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Every person I've introduced Community to has become addicted to the show. There's plenty more audience out there for it, the timeslot plus the network is holding the show back.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've fed it to two people.

One hated it and the other supposedly loved it but has no drive to watch tv that is not fed to her by the box in her living room when she isn't cleaning her house or raising her children.

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    My fiance and I have only recently discovered the show.

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

This news kills me. I love Community; its easily my favorite comedy on the air right now. I do think it would be better suited on a basic cable network like FX or Comedy Central, where the numbers it pulls in would be, you know, respectable, but from a business perspective, I understand why NBC is doing this.

That said, NBC can go die in a fire for taking away my favorite laffer. :mad:

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The show is dead. No other network wants it, the audience is tiny. I'll take as much of the show as I can and hope for a 13 episode fourth and final season.

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm not going to get my hopes up over Community's survival at this point, much as I love it.

But damn will I be pissed if it ends before Jeff and Annie hook up.

7. Guy Gardener

if the show is surprise canceled...

They'll do a number of skits on The Soup called Post Community.

The Soup is an emergency escape pod.

Joel cares.

There's no way he would have bothered to boost Community as ferverishly as he did if he thought it was just a job.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That'd be awesome.

9. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

For twitter users put there the tags to use are #savegreendale #savecomnunity and #sixseasonsandamovie

Viva la showing NBC that they're making a dumb mistake!

10. Admiral_Young

This always happens to shows that I watch it seems. Like Sci I'll be pissed if Jeff and Annie are not at least resolved, and before anyone jumps into say that they are resolved, no they are not. The shipper in me needs closure! Hopefully we do get the rest of this season...I have read that "Prime Suspect" is shutting down??

11. doubleohfive

12. Admiral_Young

Thanks for posting that article Double Oh...it seems to clarify a lot of concerns fans have over the show.

13. doubleohfive

You're welcome. Although, Prime Suspect is ending, yes.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

That's what I don't understand. In this day and age of DVR, watching TV on the web, time slot doesn't matter. And HOW is a network "holding" the show back.

What would you want the network do? It's in the middle of it's 3rd season. On any OTHER network it would have already been cancelled. NBC has given it quite the chance. What should they do?

It sucks when a show you love isn't universally popular, but sometimes that's the reality.

15. Guy Gardener

watching the show and watching the show that advertisers are aware are a little different.

network doesn't care that the show is illegally downloaded by half a billion people (sounds about right?), or that 3 million people down loaded the show from Itunes if that doesn't help ad-revenue, gods they don't even care about DVD sales to a degree, because they have to justify the expenses now.

I supppose if they could prove halfa billion peopel were downloading Community all acrous the world they could ake some serious product placement deals or hard code advertising into the show with watermarks and shit.

Which sounds like collusion.

16. Professor Zoom

Yeah, I wasn't talking about illegal downloads. You can watch Community on the NBC website, which has ads.

But, my point still stands: in this day and age of time shifting, the issue of time slot seems silly.

17. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This quote from Zachary Levi ("Chuck" on Chuck) is relevant:

Advertisers want to see numbers on live viewers, not torrenting, time shifting, iTunes, or disc sales.

I also thought this was insightful:

So those hardcore fans of shows that are the bubble of cancellation should direct their show-saving efforts to the advertisers, not full-page ads in Variety, or a billboard, or mailing a thousand bags of peanuts to the network.

18. Professor Zoom

Which Community is NOT getting, after three years... I love the show, and it's good to hear that it hasn't been cancelled (and the fact that if they keep it on another year, they might have enough for a syndication package) but I just won't be all that surprised if it goes...

19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked the Britta/Troy dynamic. But I wish they'd stop teasing the shippers and just let the characters hook up already!

20. Admiral_Young

As someone attempted to point out earlier in the thread Harmon seems to like not the teasing aspect but exploring the trope of shipping rather than having any desire of paying it off although he has stated as I think I posted a comment earlier that they have plans to address at least Jeff and Annie and as Guy Gardner pointed out in Jeff's dream musical state from the opener...it teased Jeff and Annie having sex or more accurately predicted they would sleep together this year.

I missed this one again..damn it.