Latest acquisition!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Oct 30, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got a e-gift card for Amazon from my sister for my birthday, and picked up some books, including the first Eugenics Wars books. It's one I've been wanting to read for a long time, but I kept finding other things I wanted to read more, I finally decided to get it. I also picked up the Star Wars: Legends/New Republic era novel The New Rebellion. I know the Legend books are no longer canon, but I've still enjoyed them enough to keep going. The last book I got was The Martian, I've been hearing a lot about how great it is, and the movie looks good, so I decided to get it.

2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Crisis of Consciousness by Dave Galanter

3. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Purchased Atonement and Sacraments of Fire. They are on the 'to read' pile though. I decided to go back all the way to Destiny and do a massive trek lit re-read. It's been a while since i read anything trek and need a massive refresher.

4. Kilana2

Just received my DS9 novelization of Far Beyond the Stars - in a less than good condition I must say.... :sigh:

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Got my copy of "The Autobiography of James T. Kirk" today. I'm very behind in my trek reading, but this one is going to the top of the pile and will be started this week.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

7. Etoile

Etoile Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Y'all do time funny Down Under!

Congrats on getting it though, I'm excited for this one.

8. Therin of Andor

I just noticed that the one pictured is the Titan Books UK printing.

9. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Thanks to Netgalley, which provides free advance reading copies of forthcoming books to librarians, booksellers, reviewers, etc, in exchange for reviews, I have a pdf version of this:

[​IMG]

I'll do a proper review once I've had more time, but based on a quick look, the first 60% or so of the book is dedicated to examining the sexual content of a few dozen original series episodes and movies, followed by brief chapters on Kirk and Spock's bromance, Star Trek's sexiest women, and other topics. It's a very casual pop culture book, not at all scholarly in approach. Given that there's a chapter on Star Trek and Howard Stern, it's a bit random in approach.

I have no idea who this book was written for, but I guess we'll find out. The author pitched a few Star Trek series and reportedly sold a story each to TNG and DS9; he also has some Kindle ebooks of Star Trek essays that I haven't checked out, thanks to not doing the completist collector thing any more. This one's available in paperback from Bearmanor Media.

10. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

11. Therin of Andor

Finally, finally, finally, I received my left-side of M'Ress! (My first attempt to order this novel was cancelled and I had missed noticing the email notification.)

[​IMG]
    Spines of Cross Cult Star Trek novels by Ian McLean, on Flickr

German novel spines for three translated "Star Trek: New Frontier" titles featuring M'Ress the Caitian on "Menschsein" ("Being Human"), Kalinda the Thallonian on "Mehr als Gotter" ("Gods Above"), and Arex the Triexian, on "Stein und Amboss" ("Stone and Anvil").

12. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^That's cool.

13. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

That is a very neat cover design. I love it when series of books have continuing spine designs like that (ever since I discovered the English Mr Men books spell out My Mr Men library if you collect them all :D)

14. Therin of Andor

Finally getting its US release! It's been out from the UK publisher since November 2014.

And I found this today, although it supposedly came out in April by Little, Brown & Co.:

[​IMG]
    Mulgrew autobiography by Ian McLean, on Flickr
    "Born with Teeth: a Memoir" by Kate Mulgrew.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  15. Kilana2

German versions of The Fall - Revelation and Dust (Erkenntnisse aus Ruinen) and
    Voyager - Children of the Storm (Kinder des Sturms)

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the Star Trek Costumes book yesterday I really like the photos of the costumes and think the book was well written. I also got the new Star trek magazine in the mail and it has several articles about the new Star trek books. James Swallow is interviewed about his latest Star trek Titan book Sight Unseen and he discusses his previous Titan books he's written it's a good interview.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got some late birthday money so I picked up the e-book version of VOY: Atonement and a couple other books in series I'm reading.

18. Bandit LOAF

Bandit LOAF Cadet Newbie

Sharing a small victory! A couple months ago I decided I'd track down the various Star Trek book-and-record sets. Finding all the LPs that came with comics and such was cheap and quick and so I figured I'd complete the collection by picking up the adaptations of the movies (I had fond memories of listening to the Search for Spock record over and over as a kid!)... TMP, TWoK and TSfS were all readily available... but for some reason, the Voyage Home book-and-record was absolutely nowhere to be found! I didn't lose too much sleep over it, but I kept it in the back of my mind. After months of having it on my eBay watch list (the cassette version pops up occasionally) someone finally listed it used on Amazon and I jumped at it. And here it is! :)

http://i.imgur.com/0z5lqdQ.jpg

19. Kilana2

Star Trek The Fall 2: The Crimson Shadow (Der karminrote Schatten)

20. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

That is pretty cool!