Red Dwarf XI coming in 2016, XII in 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheGodBen, May 2, 2015.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]v=WY_VMDeq2c4[/yt]

On Dave, naturally. Series X was decent, so hopefully they can keep it at that level (or improve it).

2. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I'd like to see the crew's age taken into account - there's something tragicomic about the four of them still rattling around in that spaceship in their fifties.

3. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back to Earth had some nice ideas but was painfully unfunny

X was a smidgeon of an improvement (Lemons stood out) but it was still a pale shadow of what the show used to be (and the cheapness of it all doesn't help)

I'll watch of course but I fear the good times are not only gone but they're also being made to look bad with every new attempt to recapture them

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

While the show peaked a long, long time ago... the "X" season was pretty good and I'd love to see more.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

We all know Season IX was the best ever. ;)

6. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I just wish Doug Naylor farmed out more of the creative responsibilities. I dont expect Rob Grant to return, but there has to be plenty of talented "celebrity" fans who'd write episodes if asked. Imagine someone like Graham Linehan or Mark Gatiss writing an episode. Thats what dwarf needs - fresh creative talent.

EDIT: Upon making sure I spelt Graham Linehan properly, I go and find this: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/10/graham-linehan-adam-buxton-channel-4-sitcom-the-cloud

7. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Forgive my ignorance if you will. What does the quoted phrase mean?

8. hux

There is a channel in the UK called "Dave"

It's regularly mocked for basically just showing shows from other channels and never making it's own content

It's been quite successful as a channel and in recent years has started making its own stuff (Including new Red Dwarf eps)

9. Iamnotspock

As hux says, Dave is the channel that resurrected Red Dwarf for its last two series, after re-runs of the first eight (which were made for BBC2) proved popular. It received a meta-mention in Back to Earth, in which Lister believes the channel to have been named after him.

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Well yeah! I thought S3-S5 were da bomb until I saw IX.

Still, 2 more series' is a good thing.

I'd still love to see an episode that has the crew finding the blue or red ark (whichever one didn't fly straight into an asteroid, though this one could have survived as well).

11. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

And, in a double meta moment, when the network aired Red Dwarf X, they temporarily rebranded themselves as "Dave Lister."

Really looking forward to XI and XII. I thought X was a substantial step up from the prior couple of series. I'm hoping they can keep the improved quality going.

12. Iamnotspock

They're doing it again for the Hoff's new series, Hoff the Record, becoming "David" for the première.

They have a new on-demand service too, with two new platforms on which to find Red Dwarf X. Presumably Series XI and XII will be included as they're broadcast.

13. hux

14. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I think there would be a major return to quality if Rob Grant came back.

The show was at it's absolute best with Grant and Naylor.

15. Iamnotspock

Well, they are making two series at once this time, so perhaps the Corrie team wasn't prepared to let him out for as long.

16. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I just hope it's better this time. I mean, I wanted season three to six quality writing. I'd even except season eight (though not seven).

I haven't enjoyed it since season eight.

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I really liked series X the second time through. I especially liked Hoagy the Roguey. And to anyone who disagrees, I challenge you to a duel across time and space!