Other Space = Red Dwarf + Voyager on Yahoo!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Guy Gardener, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Other Space (2015)

Yahoo dropped 8 of these this afternoon.

It's more of Hyper Drive + Voyager, but no one knows what Hyperdrive is, so that would have just muddied the water terribly, but if you don't know what Hyperdrive is, it's Red Dwarf but with Nick Frost and Miranda Hart and minus any laughter.

:)

Oddballs lost in space, killing aliens, you know the deal.

2. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be checking this out just because it has Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu from MST3K in it.

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I plan to watch this when I get a chance. That phone commercial girl is so adorable!

4. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: Other Space

I watched the first 2 episodes from Yahoo Screen on Apple TV last night.
    Very funny and reminded me of a Comedy Central type of humor.
    The costume design is like nuStarTrek meets Uniqlo. It has a very modern cinematography for a comedy and yet the retro almost all white production design of the ship. The white form-fitting costumes had more in common with what the inhabitants wore in the 2005 movie The Island.

It does have a Star Trek feeling with humor. Like watching one of those Voyager episodes with a lot of humor.

Please try to check this out. It was refreshing to actually have a modern ship-based space opera and also go into character building time that is not The Expanse (10% ship-based), or Defying Gravity (50% ship-based, or Ascension which [SPOILER ALERT:......was not on a spaceship]).
    The 2nd in command the sister reminds me of the girl Ilana Glazer from Broad City the series on Comedy Central.

I wonder after 2 Star Trek movies in 5 years and another in production and now Other Space, Dark Matter, and the upcoming series this Autumn 'The Expanse' on SyFy how the crew's uniform costumes on the next Trek TV series will look like whenever it does come back to TV?

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think Ascension had the reveal of where they actually were too soon.

6. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got done watching all 8 episodes. The first one was rather "meh" (I don't think I laughed out loud once) but with all the setup/character introductions out of the way, everything clicked in episode 2 and the show was very funny from then on. Having Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu is definitely a big bonus for MST3K fans. I think my favorite bits were all the Chad stuff in episode 2 and Tina and Michael stuck on the planet in episode 5. Looking forward to more and highly recommend the show to everyone else here!